3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Taper Tools  (Read 586 times)

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Taper Tools
« on: December 28, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
What are the best taper tools out there? I am having trouble justifying $6.00 for a little plastic tool.

Thanks,
Mark
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Taper Tools
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
I preffer a belt sander and a jig, preferably a stationary belt sander. I've seen some really inovated taper tool jigs set up with a skill saw turned upside down with a sanding disk instead of a blade. and others using a table saw with a sanding disk too...

Those little plastic pencil sharpener tools don't last very long either, but i keep one in my pack or quiver for use in the field....Kirk

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
Tru-center isn't bad. Been using one for more than 12 years, I think. Just replace or re sharpen the blades every now and then. Just traded for a spare.   :thumbsup:

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
I have the little plastic tools and use them when I have to, but sanding disk is much better. I have two jigs for the disk, one for each taper.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
What about the metal, multiple hole, hand crank pencil sharpeners? Has anyone tried using one of these to do tapers?
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Mark,
The sanding jig idea would be the best way to go if you already have a sander or a table saw to use. I have seen plans for the jig in a couple of different DYI threads. A regular pencil sharpener does not have the correct 11 degree angle.
If you do not have acess to power tools you are left with only a few choices, 6 bucks for your own or have the shafts cut and tapered when you buy them. Last time I looked that would be about $3.00 to $5.oo a dozen.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Thanks Mark

I didn't know about the 11 deg angle.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
Gate keeper... the 11 is for the nock. It is 5 degree for the point..I use a $100 belt/disc sander from lowes and a jig I made..
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Can a jig be made using an orbital sander instead of a belt sander?
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Woodchuck!!
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
ditto, Woodchuck

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
Gatekeeper,
Is this what yer referrin to?
 http://www.arrowsbykelly.com/Fletching_Jigs.html
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Traxx

No I was referring to the kind that we all used in school. I don’t know what angle they cut at.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
Can a jig be made using an orbital sander instead of a belt sander?
I suppose that would work if ya didn't fall asleep while you were doing it....but i can't for the life of me figure out how you'd clamp that kind of sander down....when using taper jigs it works best to chuck the arrows into a cordless drill for a nice uniform taper.

if you do figure it out.... i'd love to see photos....Kirk

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Your arrows are only as good as your nock and point tapers. A Woodchuck is a sound investment. Or, consider buying shafting that is pre cut and tapered for you.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »
Frankly, I have not been favourably  impresed with the already tapered shafts I have purchased. I want to like the Tru center taper tool-it has some nice features but mine has never cut nock tapers well-It even went back to 3 Rivers where Todd played with it and sent it back -cutting at the proper angle but still nibbling fibers off. The little Whiffen tools cut really good tapers but struggle with hardwoods. I recently picked up a Bearpaw taper tool and enthusiastically affirm that it is worth th $6. Having multiple tools helps.
The whole idea behind the jig and sander set up is excellent but I don't have the power tools, don't want to spring fro $130 for a Woodchuck and it is critical when using any of those tools to have the shafts straight before you taper.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
I've have a true center taper tool and it works really good and is worth the investment if your planning on only doing a few dozen arrows a year.  If your doing more a disk sander is the best option.  Woodchucks are great but you can make your own easily with a disk sander and a block of wood.  3Rivers even has a block that goes on a disk sander if you don't want to make the guide block. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info!!

Mark
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
Tree Man, sounds like you're not getting much if any blade exposure on the nock end of your tool. Also sounds like just the blade's base is doing the cutting and not the blade. Just adjusted one for a friend and he was having pretty much the same problem as you described. Remove the sleeve from the nock end, and looking directly into it's end, check and see if you have any blade exposure over the blade's base. If not, a little re-tooling is in order.-ART B

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
I agree,with Treeman.At the price,of the True center tool,You shouldnt have to Tinker with it,to get it to work properly.I also like the option,of being able to work on arrows,without being plugged in.I dont always work on arrows at home.Therefore,i like the whiffen type,or the type i showed,on my previous post.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©