3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Bolt Experiences  (Read 307 times)

Offline Lost Viking

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Bolt Experiences
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Considering converting a Morrison Dakota to two-piece takedown using the Bow Bolt.  Wondering about the experiences out there with others that have made similar conversions with the Bow Bolt.  Will probably have Ted Fry do it for me, so won't be a self effort/disaster.

Todd

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Bolt Experiences
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
I've not converted a bow to a Bolt T/D, but I shoot a 2-piece Shrew. The bolt is fantastic! Does exactly what you need it to do, effortlessly, smoothly & securly & when the bow's together, you don't even know it's there.
All you could ask for, really.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
I haven't had much experence but from what I've heard.Some bowyers don't like to use them in bows much over 50#.And when it is apart you should take care to damage the threads.Some guys will slip a protector over threads like a rubber hose when they are apart.I'm not sure how difficult it would be to install on an existing bow.Most bowyers will install it in the squared up riser blank before it is cut into the riser shape.It is a nice T/D system but for me I like my one piece bows.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
its one of the best take down systems iv seen!
also got one on my shrew longbows and it is fantastic!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline whtshdwwz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
I have a Kohannah Kurve with the bow bolt take down system, it is perfect for traveling and there are no parts to "lose".

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Had Ted do a Bow Bolt retrofit on my 21st Century and I love it!
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Todd,

It is my understanding that Bob doesn't use them because he feels his risers are too small in cross section to allow the 1/8" of material at the closest part of the handle after shaping.  That is a requirement that I feel is very important.  Check out my website,  WWW.Warrenarchery.com,  and you will see all the requirements for new and retrofit applications.  
Thanks for the good words from the rest that have responded to this thread and JRY309, over 50 lbs is ok with most good laminates like Dymondwood, Action Wood, and even better with solid linen phenolic.
If it can be done, considering the size of the handle section, Ted Fry will do a good job.

Finally, I am supplying rubber caps and plugs to protect the male and female threads and to keep dirt out while the bow is apart with all new Bow Bolts.  If anyone needs a set, I will be happy to send them at no charge except for the shipping.  Just contact me, preferably via e-mail, with your address and size of Bow Bolt installed in your bow.

Have a Happy New Year,

Craig

Craig

Offline Lost Viking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
Craig

I slapped a caliper on my Dakota grip.  At the two narrowest places (contour right below arrow shelf and right below the palm swell) the bow measures 1.25 inches in cross section - side to side.  Back to belly all measurements are greater than the 1.25 inch side to side cross section.  The bow draws about 57 lbs at my 28 inch draw length.  I believe the the riser is dymondwood or similar "manufactured" wood product.  Not exactly sure since the bow is second hand.

Looks like there should easily be the 1/8 inch of material to accomodate your hardware, especially the smaller of the two.

What are your thoughts, concerns, recommendations?

Thanks for the caution.

Todd

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
Todd,

There can be no guarantees, but it sounds like there should be enough material.  The overall length of the smaller one is 2 3/4".  If you can find a spot in the swell of the handle that will accomidate that length and a 5/8" hole and still have at least 1/8" of material at the closest spot to the Bow Bolt it should work.  

If it is not your only or your favorite bow, I would probably go for it.  Since it is second hand, you probably didn't pay full price so the downside, loosing the bow, might not hurt so much and the upside might be that it would become your favorite. There will be no change in the physical dimensions of your bow, but there will be about 3 oz. of weight added right in your hand which will make a noticable improvement in how any bow feels on the shot.

I would keep the Bow Bolt as low in the handle and as close to the back of the bow as possible without violating the 1/8" rule.

Please ket us know how it turns out if you try it.  
Craig

Offline Lost Viking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
Will let everyone know how it turns out.  Will be later in the month that I send it off to Ted Fry for the work.

Thanks for the feedback folks.  Happy New Year!

Todd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©