3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions on starting again  (Read 303 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions on starting again
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
I searched the board, but obviously didn't use the right search words or I would have come up with a similar question.  Anyway, like many of you I shot a recurve back in the day, but set it aside for a few years.  I actually took my first deer with a recurve in 1969.  I'm bored with the compound and started back into recurves 2 years ago and then promptly got tennis elbow bad in both elbows.  I'm in good shape now and ready to start again.

The question is, where do I begin?  I would like to shoot something that doesn't have a huge amount of hand shock and has a smooth draw and release.  Should I buy something new or something used?  Lots of stuff for sale here in the classifieds and on that site we don't talk about, but since I can't go anywhere to test a lot of differnet bows, I don't know what would be best for me.  I realize I should start out slow and work my way up.  I have an old 40# Sharkespeare Yukon in great shape that still shoots well, but I don't know how that shoots comparatively with something else.  What used bow would shoot smoother than that?  What new bows might work without breaking the bank?  This probably isn't enough info for you all to provide advice, but I have to start somwhere.  My draw length is 27 inches with the recurve. I intend primarily to use the bow for hunting.

All advice welcome.

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions on starting again
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Sounds to me the bow you have is where you need to start.....get a flemish twist string so you can tune the bow...that will probably take care of any hand shock or vibration you used to get. 40 # is a good place to start....and a razor head would zip through many critters at that poundage.
Used bows can be found from $50 on up to $500...If it was me, I'd stick with the Yukon and hook up with some local trad people for more knowledge.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©