3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill Greatest of All Time?  (Read 522 times)

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill Greatest of All Time?
« on: December 28, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
It has been a slow week for the job.  I have been reading a lot and watching videos. After watching “Hitting t Em like Howard Hill” and reading “Straight  Shooting “ both by John Schulz, I put forth that Howard was the greatest hunter  and hunting bow shooting teacher of all time. He taught Schulz who influenced both Gene Wensel and Too Short Brunner. According to John Schulz he was a hunter who “smoked cigarettes, fried bacon over an open fire, used “Old Spice”, dusted his shooting glove with Cashmere Bouquet talcum powder wore no camo and managed to bow-kill  four bucks to fill his tags.”
 He also taught Bob Wesley who is also I am told a great teacher. So who comes close?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill Greatest of All Time?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
None!
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Don't know about how well he hunted, but reportedly if Frank Garske was at a shoot, Howard Hill would leave. Apparently he didn't want to be outshot.

Gene Wensel spoke about Frank two years ago at Cloverdale.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
You have to consider that when Hill killed all the game on his list,  he hunted in a time when there were only a hand full of people that hunted with a bow.  The game was plenty-ful, and no hunting pressure.  I do not think Hill could acommplish that feat, today!  You can't take away that he was a good shot, period.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
There were and are a number of target archers who could give Hill a run for his money at targets.  There may even be a number that could, shooting at foam rubber deer, but when all the variables of a live shot at little animals is considered, no one comes close including me.  Show me a big buck shot from a tree stand, I think nice trophy.  Show me a string filled with quail and rabbits, I think great trophy and proof of a great archer.  That makes me jealous.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
He may not be the best of all time, but he's the best we know about.  Keep in mind, too, that he accomplished his feats with equipment that was much more rudimentary/primitive than most of what is available today.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
as a shot with the bows hill was shooting there are few that come close, but as a hunter there are a few guys that could be named, i'd put in Paul schaffer as one of the best real hard core, hard as nails bowhunters!

love "hunting the hard way" by Howard, an amazing archer! just makes me wanna pick up my bow and go hunt!   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline BleekLight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
well I believe he was a great shot. A little story you might have already heard but here it goes in 1935 they did a remake of Robin hood as played by Errol Flynn. Howard hill was hired to show Errol Flynn how to hold a bow properly, and to do all the trick shooting in the movie. Which brings me to my point that in the movie there is of course the famous robin hood shot where he splits an arrow directly in half with another arrow. Now granted I've done this before but never exactly down the middle and never on command. From what I've heard there is no evidence supporting he took this shot and none saying he didn't but really how much special effects did they have back in 1935. Sorry to ramble on but I thought this story was interesting.
---------------------------------
I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
I'd have to say Chuck Adams.  He's awesome.  

:)    :scared:  

P.S.  I'd hope this kind of topic isn't taken too seriously, lest we become overly 'excited' about individual opinions...our own and others.  But as far as howard Hill is concerned nobody can argue...he was sure one heckova' shot.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
If ya really want a challenge. How much faith do you have in other archers? Would you stand and let them shoot an Apple or a PRUNE off yer head. Ole Howard didn't seem to have problems finding  Volunteers.  :bigsmyl:

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
I saw him shoot a orange off red coca-cola pencil !!!!! I was in the 3rd grade!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
You have to admit, whether or not he was the greatest archer, he was probably the greates showman. Hill probably did more to promote the sport of bow hunting than anyone, save maybe Fred Bear. The really cool part of Howard Hill was he did it with flare! I sure wish I could have seen him shoot in person or at least shared a campfire with him.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
He definitely makes it look easy!
For me there is no better bow design than the Howard Hill Longbow He was definitely a Master of the Craft Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 02:39:00 AM »
Troy, excellent post   :thumbsup:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline sharps4590

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 05:42:00 AM »
Hill, Bear, St. Charles, Thomas, Asbel and I'm certain Pope, Young and Thompson.....they're all so much better than me that skill at level is almost beyond my comprehension.  I would love to have seen Hill shoot.  Ferguson is no slouch either.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »
Troy, thank you for sharing that with us, I would bet there are hundreds of untold events like that involving Howard Hill. When i watch his DVD's that i have i am always amazed at his skill. If someone doubts his skill just watch the little clips that are  in     Legends and pioneers
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »
I seem to remember seeing Hill shoot  a cork bobbing in the waves from a boat,  bobbing in the ocean. I just think that is remarkable.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Makes me want to order a new Hill Style Bow!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
I think some people were born just naturals in a sport and the mold was thrown away.   I honestly believe that there will never be a  rival that will ever be equivlent to Mr. Hill's ability and acheivements.  Some records were acheived to be never broken.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
Mr Hill would often tell people that God gave him the ability to be an Archer....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©