3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Painting Aluminum shafts  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Painting Aluminum shafts
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
I am wondering what type of paint to use for painting aluminum shafts. I have tried using Testors model paint and the results were less than acceptable. I do have a motor to slowly spin the shafts while doing the painting. I am on a fairly tight budget so I'm not realy interested in buying equipment to dip my shafts. Besides I want to make some painted bands about mid way down the shafts.
I have even thought of using masking tape and spray painting after applying a spray primer.
I have looked on the how to forum and came up blank.
I know that there are many tallented people here at Trade Gang that should be able to help.
Thanks
Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Painting Aluminum shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Since Bohnings paints are lacquer, I'd assume any lacquer should stick fine.  Clean the shaft first with acetone or lacquer thinner and you should be OK.  I did some cresting bands directly on the aluminum with Crestor's a few years ago and they held up fine, but they were a little thicker than I wanted in order to cover well.  Is that your problem or is it adhesion?
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
The testors paint don't seem to cover very well. Seems that painting with that brand of paint would require several coats of paint to get the job done thus making the band pretty thick.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
Did you clean the Shafts with Acetone, and let it Dry before You Painted them? I also do that, wipe 'em down good, before I Fletch 'em too!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
Bohning Fletch-lac is a vinyl Lacquer. We used it in the Metal decorating business to make jar lids years ago. It leaves a film rather than soaking into the metal.
 I use Comet kitchen cleanzer and a soft Scotch brite pad to clean shafts then rinse in hot water and dry with paper towels. Old timers used this combo on the old silver gamegetters before the shafts were anodized. It still works.
I have seen auto paints used on alum. shafts but the paint yellowed and faded after a year or so. Maybe the paint or prep?
I have tried model paints for cresting. I used a brand called Humbroid (sp). It was for model trains and tanks. It was not bright enough for me so I went back to Bohning products.
I have seen on Trag. Gang some hvae used Krylon spray paint and it worked for them.
Good Luck,tom

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Krylon works alright.. The problem ive seen with using lacquer is it tends to chip off if the arrow hits something in that area.  If you are going to use the lacquer or Krylon you need to let it dry for 30 minutes+ and then use a clear coat protectant on top of that.  That will give you a nice crown dip from there i use whispering wind cresting paint.. ITs about 3 dollars a jar but a jar will last you forever and you dont run into the coating problems.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
I've sprayed mine with paint from a can and it worked great. You need about 3 coats to cover the camo and not get runs but otherwise it works for me.

Offline V-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
I spray my arrows, after cleaning them with thinner, first with primer (can) and then with car paint (spray can). Keep a spraying distance of some 10" so that the paint is evenly spread. If required, repeat this until the paint covers all you want to be covered.
I buy these cans at the local auto parts shop.
I glue the feathers with Locktite IS 495 (industrial) and they sit rock tight.
"If you have the will to win you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure"

Offline Tony Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Here is a picture of my Easton Stalkers. They were first painted with white Krylon, then a coat of fluorescent orange. The small band of crest is Testers Chartreuse. I then put about 5 coats of gloss water based poly.  

Tony Phillips
“What we do in life echoes in eternity”

56" Striker Stinger
52" Saluki Scythian
54" Saluki Turk

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »
Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great advice and ideas. I'll be sure to try them out to see what works best for me.

Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 03:09:00 AM »
Hey tony
Do you ever lose an arrow?

Offline Tony Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
I just made these up last week, so I haven’t even shot them yet. But I will probably lose some.
Tony Phillips

56" Striker Stinger
52" Saluki Scythian
54" Saluki Turk

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Tony, do they come with a dimmer switch lol. Just kidding, they are very nice looking arrows. I like bright looking arrows myself. Alan

Offline Tony Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
The colors really pop with the black color of the stalker shafts.
Tony Phillips

56" Striker Stinger
52" Saluki Scythian
54" Saluki Turk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©