3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shrew bows  (Read 350 times)

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
shrew bows
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
At one time I was looking at shrew bows and remember something about them using a 6 strand string or something like that.  Is this correct?  Must you use a small string like that on these bows?  Any other forward handle longbows for me to check out?  Thanks...Mike

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shrew bows
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Yup, they do use a 6-strand 450+ string as standard.  And yup, its best to use a 'skinny' string (6-8 strand 450+, or 10 strand D97 work well, too) with this particular bow...its designed for it.  Fat strings simply don't do well.  But not all hybrids require the same arrangement...depends on the bow and model.

I have two Shrews and they are great little bows, a real hoot to shoot.  Check the threads here, there are quite a few good brands of hybrids out there.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Yep, like Tony said.  Six strnads of 450+ and loops padded with six extra strands of B50.

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
The 450+ string is 150# per strand so at 6 strands you've got a 900# string. In addition to padded loops the serving is also doubled.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
I see, I was wondering how you keep a nock on the string...Mike

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
What is the max draw length with a Shrew?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 02:05:00 AM »
Hey Gregg, (ooops  :D )

Do you have to build up the center serving then to fit a nock?  

Curious what kind of benefits such a small diameter string gives you?   Less string travel?  Which would mean your arrow in theory should act stiffer?   And end up with more accuracy due to less time behind the arrow for human error to intervine?   Not sure if I'm on the right track or not.   And I only use d97, can it be done with this?

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 02:27:00 AM »
I just purchased a used Shrew, so not here to give advice, but will definitely be following this thread.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 04:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by R H Clark:
What is the max draw length with a Shrew?
Depends on the bow. I take it to the extreme  :D  Drawing a 52" Classic Hunter to 30" (Although it's not recommended, really) The longer Shrews, 58"+ should be fine to pretty much any draw.
My bow came with 2 different strings (I bought it second hand on here) 1 6-strand & 1 12-strand. The 12 strand string makes a huge difference in arrow flight. It's slow, flabby & horrible & my arrows show really stiff! The 6-strander is perfect!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 04:58:00 AM »
iv have exactly the same experiance as Rob! well not quite because i dont draw to 30 inches  :scared:  

but i also got a 12 strand string and a 6 strand string. The 6 strand is perfect, just seems to work solid on this bow.

you realy wont be disapointed with the shrew bows i think they are fantastic and for me just fit perfectly for everything i want in a hunting bow!  :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
Bowferd, you will love it.  They are awesome bows.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
I had a Shrew for a little while that shot really well with the 6 strand string.

One of my hunting friends also owns a Shrew. He tried making strings of all different types (material, strand count, etc) to see if he could find something better. After alot of time and experimentation he found the 6 str. 450+ strings were the quietest, fastest, and most forgiving string material. I think he told Ron about his experiments and was told, "Yeah, thats why they come with those strings   :)  "

CS

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
Ron, please see pm.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©