3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What type of quiver should I get?  (Read 503 times)

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
What type of quiver should I get?
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
As many of you know by now I am a Trad newbie. I need a quiver. Just want to be abloe to have arras at my disposal while targeting in the backyard and then IF I ever get good enough- to take hunting. WHat kind should I get? One that goes around the waist, straps over the body? I dont want to drill anything on my bows. I have 2 58" AMO recurves and 1 60" recurve.
Everything seems pretty expensive. Any ideas appreciated.

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What type of quiver should I get?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
hey Bill,

Slide on quivers are nice. just they add extra weight to the bow.  Side quivers are pretty cool if they are the type that have long strap for going aournd your neck.  I dont like the belt style side quivers for going into the woods cause the arrows are sticking forward.  messes up the fletchs. Back quivers are pretty cool for target shooting but again for hunting they stick up above you and when you get into the brush they seem to get caught on everything.  

ST

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
A Thunderhorn Boa is prolly the best quiver on the market. It's a bow quiver, but it wraps around your bows limbs. No drilling, no screws, and can be adjusted to fit any bow, be it a recurve, longbow, or flatbow. I've fallen in love with mine...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Target shooting and bowhunting are two different things. I use a backquiver for target shooting and roaming,a bow quiver for hunting.Sometimes a bow quiver plus a cat quiver. great northern is the bow quiver I use.It straps on the bow. As far as the back quiver,pick one that you like. maybe someone here has a used one they want to sell.Good luck.    :campfire:

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Depends on wether you like having a quiver on your bow or on your bak, or hip. You don't want to drill your bow, so a selway or some other quiver that slips on or straps on the limbs would work. For your back there are many types. I have a cat quiver that works well. (I take my quiver off while sitting in my ground blind any way).   Or, you could go with the Hip type. OK, do I have you more confused now?
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
However, if bow quivers aren't your thing, try a GFA quiver. It's a side quiver that's as versatile as they come...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
For backyard or 3D use, I like a back or side quiver, and lean toward the side quiver. It is handy, you can see the arrows and select easily, and they drop right back in. I would avoud anything that you would have to clip the arrows into for just target shooting. You end up putting them in your back pocket to avoid the hassle. Oh, and back pockets are just the ticket for me in the yard. Cheap, too, they usually come free with a pair of pants.

Speaking of pants, the quiver on the right is one of my favorites. I made it as a prototype about ten years ago, still use it here and there.

For hunting, I go with a bow quiver like the Thunderhorn mini Boa, or I use a GFA type made by Gary's Custom Knives. This is basically an old Fred Bear bow quiver that is built into a "possibles bag", and hangs at your side via a wide strap.

It hangs naturally, and so comfortably that I forget I am wearing it sometimes, and back into stuff (like trees) with my fletches. Oops.
I have used this for 3D, where I usually just walk around with one arrow out anyway.

Last hunting season I carried this type (link below), and it did real well out in the field. Under the link is a pic of me carrying it in November.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=14&s=74&p=0&i=6203

Confused yet?
Killdeer  :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
Yep. Killi- why don't I just hire you to make one for me- and you can deliver it to me in Sterling - postage should be cheap.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Another shot of the "possibles quiver".

Still Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
I don't deliver in Sterling...
Why don't you come shooting with me and you can try out some quivers?

:goldtooth:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
Just do like all members of Quivers Anonymous (I'm a charter member).....get one or two of every kind.    :bigsmyl:  

Perfect quiver, perfect rain gear....the search continues.   :)

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Good Luck!

I use all different kinds depending on where I'm hunting or what I'm hunting for... or maybe just what I like that day.

This year I used a pocket quiver from Mike.  Using two blade zwickies I could carry four.  This works well if you are not in thick brush but can be easily taken off to sit or crawl.

If I think I'm going to fling a lot of arrows (lose arrows) a back quiver holds a bunch.  I do use this hunting big game if I am not going to be pushing through brush or crawling.

I use to use one that attached to my bow but I am too lazy to clip the arrows in when practicing and like to shot with just a bare bow.

There is also a side quiver that goes on a belt which I hate in the field but I guess it works for targets.

CK (Curtis) uses a bare sort of quiver that holds a few arrow that has a single strap and is kind of neat as it is a like a back quiver that holds the arrows so they don't fall out.

As you may guess I have no answer for you.  Some people have one they love but in my case I have not found it yet.  :knothead:
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
Killi-
I will shoot with you. You had mentioned a club in NoVa that I would really like to try out; but I'm guessing they don't shoot till the weather warms up. Correct?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
They start holding shoots in the spring, but I was out there shooting today! Club members can use the facilities anytime.

Killdeer  :rolleyes:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Killdeer..

there ain't no arras in it..how you going to kill something...    :rolleyes:      :campfire:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
You mean the one in the snow? Check out the link, it loads from the top, feeds from the side near the bottom, so your fletches aren't hanging out there in the weather.

:)

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
I'll be dawged..there is arras in it..   :eek:    :campfire:

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
Killi-
I like the one hanging on the fencepost with the big pocket and the red and yellow arras. What kind is that?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
That was made by our friend in archery, over at Mike's Archery Leather.

http://www.mikesarcheryleather.com/

As I said in another thread, I don't normally like back quivers, but I like this one! Money well spent.

Killdeer  :thumbsup:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Nice pic.Kathy,But i can be real sneaky with a great northern strap on. you know just were its at, and the big boys seem to hang out in the tight stuff around IL. also i like the balance factor involved with a quiver that mounts to riser.For 3ds I would use a back quiver and leave the bow mounted quiver attached and full of arras that way when it comes time to hunt there is no added changes.jonesy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©