3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Splitting Osage ???  (Read 193 times)

Offline jchunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
Splitting Osage ???
« on: December 29, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
I have been wanting to try my hand at making a self bow out of some "home grown" osage for a while now. I finally was able to get some harvested this past week. I "thought" I got 2 pretty good straight logs and one other that had a little curvature, but didn't appear to be twisted. I tried making a couple of splits with 2 of the logs but I don't think I am doing something right as my split pieces didn't come out very straight and even somewhat twisted.

I have been trying to find a pictorial of some sort, showing the proper process of splitting the logs into good staves, but have been unable to find any. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or care to make a short "How To" showing the process?

I plan on purchasing some books and/or videos before going much further, but I had to get these trees cut or loose them to a dozer. And I thought I had read that it was much better and easier to split them while still green, so that is why I kinda jumped into it unprepared.
Any and all assistance is very appreciated. Thanks in advance.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
--Fred Bear

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Splitting Osage ???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
If they split twisted then, then the tree was twisted.

Best way to check for twist before cutting and splitting, is to look at the bark on the tree. If the bark twist around the tree then it is twisted.

Look around at the trees in the area, you will start to notice it.

People have tricks to try to keep the split straight, but I feel that would leave negative stress in the stave. That would later appear as it dries.
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Don't expect to get perfect staves from most osage. Most important is to avoid checks in the end by sealing them until they dry a year or so. Most trees growing on a hillside will warp or twist when split. Find the ones growing on the flats or level ground and not leaning to one side or another. They will produse the better staves.

Here is how I do it, three wedges a two pound sledge and an axe

Start at one end and work towards the other

And there ya go

I leave them in 1/2's until cured. You don't need perfection with primitive equipment.

Good luck!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline jchunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Well, I knew about looking at the bark and all 3 looked to be perfect. And of course they were on flat ground, we don't have any hills in Oklahoma. JK      :bigsmyl:   Actually thats a good tip and I will keep that in mind next time. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I sealed the ends as well. I used Latex Paint as that is all I had on hand that I thought might work, hopefully it will.    :pray:    

OsageTree, thanks a bunch for the pics, thats exactly what I was looking for. Something I am curious about though that maybe I did wrong since I have seen a couple pics now showing the same thing.
Is it important or does it help to drive the wedges straight down, like in these pics?
When I did it I drove the wedges at an angle, from one end to the other. Sort of driving it down the log length wise. Is this maybe what caused my problems?
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
--Fred Bear

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
I think when you are splitting with wedges the wood will split where it wants to, regardless. Some people use a circular saw to score a stave so it will split at the straight score line. It works, but I think it leaves hidden stress in the stave that does not show until you start shaping it with a drawknife and rasp.

Unless severe, most twists or bends can be taken out after the stave is reduced to a rough bow shape. Use a heatgun or steam to remove the twists and unwanted bends before floor tillering the stave.
Here is a recent example of some extrem reshaping
Before

After

This was going to turn out to be a great bow, but i rushed the short string when tillering and broke the top limb. A dumb rookie mistake and I knew better. I was just rushing the job as this bow was to be sent to a friend from this site. Needless to say I had to make another one.

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline jchunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Ok, I think I am just too worried about perfection. I guess I just wanted to get a "perfectly" straight stave for my first try, but it now seems like that is pretty rare. Thanks for all of your help and advice. I will be sure and let everyone know how it turns out after they cure and I get started making shavings.
--Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©