3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The joy and the pain...  (Read 287 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
The joy and the pain...
« on: December 29, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
           tonight I am filled with so many emotions I don't know what to make of it.  

The last couple years of bowhunting have been tough in their own way.  Last year I shot a deer while stillhunting through what looked like high through the lungs and was unable to find it after hours of searching.  The year before this I had another solid hit in which the deer just stopped bleeding and went into an area with tracks everywhere...no sight of the deer after hours of searching. Man o man that sucks.

Bowhunting this year has been tough.  I couldn't even tell you how many days and hours I logged in the woods scouting, setting up, hunting and planning this year...a lot let me tell you. Then add in all the time spent building my bows, tuning arrows, and all that...a lot of effort. All this bow season(both early and late season) I had not had a decent shot opportunity on any deer.  It would always be they're either too far or running or something where I couldn't get a shot. I did end up getting a doe with the gun, but that's nothing like the close in experience of the bow.  Nonetheless I kept going knowing that someday it would come together.  Well, tonight was that night...sort of.

I went out and sat this afternoon over one of our bait sites in a cedar swamp that was getting hit really hard. My friend had seen deer there every time he sat.  I was pretty excited and slipped into the spot as quietly as possible in order not to spook any deer bedded nearby.  The wind was perfect for this blind and I proceeded to place the two gallons of bait I had brought in about 18 yards away from the blind in the shooting lane.  I then settled in for the evening sit.  I made sure this night to move as little as possible as the deer show up so close in the thick swamp.  

Well, 4:00 rolls around and I look up and there behind my bait is a nice doe. My heart begins to race as I look down to nock a zwickey tipped arrow. She proceeds slowly in checking all around her before she begins to feed.  That's when she catches sight of me.  She would stare at me, go down for a mouthful, then go right back up again and stare at me while she chewed and swallowed.  I could not get the draw off.  This went on for probably 15 minutes when a fawn comes in.  The doe seems to be moving off and I don't want her to take the fawn with so I keep my draw hand out ready for the shot when it comes.  Well, the doe comes back in doing the same thing; staring, grabbing a mouthful, staring, etc.  Well, by this time my bare hands have been exposed in 20 degree cold for at least 25 minutes.  The fingers on my draw hand are numb, but I don't want to warm them and miss a shot opportunity.  Well, I decided I was going to give it a go and shoot the next time she put her head down.  There it goes, my draw hand comes back, I reach anchor and release...since my fingers were numb I ended up pulling the shot and shot right over the top of her burying the arrow into a cedar tree behind her.  Both deer run off not sure what to think of what just happened.  

And so here I am; I just had the shot opportunity I had been waiting and working 4 months for and I miss.  But, then the shakes start to come...the ones that come after an encounter like this, the uncontrollable ones.  There is no other feeling like this and I am filled with joy for having had that opportunity. I just don't know what to make of it.  I feel both joy and heartbreak, thankfullness for the opportunity yet dissapointment at myself at the same time. What's a guy to do?  It's like all my hard work is not paying off, but it is.  Man, I'm confused!               :(        ......
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline longbow111

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The joy and the pain...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Look at it this way while you were out hunting today I was WORKING.LOL. I know how you feel three years with the longbow and I still have yet to put meat in the freazer.Like they say " A bad day hunting still beats a good day at work".
Best of luck to ya, Still a few more days of late season left.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
like Longbow said 'look at it that at least you are out there'.
 Me, I'm stuck in a truckstop until WEdnesday morning with an oversize load.
 BUT, I did shoot my 'online tourney' target today. I will stump some more tomorrow and I did at least get a squirrel this year. Along with the knowledge gained....I feel you frustration and joy!
 Hunt for those of us who can't and enjoy it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Successfully taking game doesn`t come easy, that we all know.

You are having encounters that certainly make memories. Your description of the "shakes" made me smile. You gotta live them "shakes" to understand them. Its part of what bowhunting is all about.

Keep at it. It WILL all come together.
When it does, you`ll get the "shakes" and you`ll get to eat it too!

Late season whitetails are certainly a critter that will leave you confused.  :thumbsup:  

Best of luck to you.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »
I think you just illustrated that the joy and thrill of hunting is not just in the killing. Success takes on many shapes and forms and does not always result in meat in the freezer. You WILL get your deer as long as you stick with it but that is only the proverbial "icing on the cake". For the moment, just enjoy the cake.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 04:32:00 AM »
Hard luck on the shot Matt  :(  

but it sounds like you had a great hunt, in fact it sounds like you'v had a great season!it is hard work. at least your out there giving it your all and getting to spend a lot of time in the wilds, something not everyone gets to do very oftern.

best wishes!  :wavey:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
If it was easy you would not keep doing it. It is those great "unsuccessful" hunts that make it worthwhile. All your hard work brought you that opportunity and that is part of the journey, enjoy!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
All the highs and lows would confuse anyone, but it's that kind of excitement that keeps everyone coming back time after time. It will all come together for you sooner or later, the harder you work for it the better it will be.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Keep at it brother, we've all been there. It will come together...

Best of luck...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Matt, I feel you pain...sort of.  I returned to bowhunting this year after a looonnng hiatus.  The reason I quit before was that it was getting too much like work, without any reward.  Well, I haven't shot a deer this year either, but I've had a blast.  The difference, for me at least, was that when I started hunting this time, I made a couple of commitments to myself;

a.) I was going to hunt from the ground only  ...and...
b.) I don't care if I kill anything.

Bowhunting for me is fun again now.  I had a really close chance, kind of similar to your story a while back.  Had 6 does within 40 yards of me for over 30 minutes.  Its cold too, and wet.  Finally one wanders close.    Light is failing.  This deer was one step from clearing a little sapling and getting stuck at only about 10 yards.  Puff of wind hit me in the back of the neck.  I couldn't believe it!!!  I'd been watching these deer for so long and the wind was perfect.  I stomped and grumbled for a few minutes, and then I thought about what a charge it had been to be that close, practically out in the open, for that long. (I was standing next to a small tree in the edge of a field.)

I pulled a judo out and hunted leaves on the way back to my truck.  Shot as good as I ever have.  That was a fine night, and I guess, that's my point.     ;)

Enjoy yourself!
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
3 things to remember..

1.Pick a SPOT
2.Pick a SPOT
3.PICK A SPOT

Keep trying it will come. Try not to shoot unless you know you can kill with one shot.You may have to pass many deer up,but it will pay off in the end.Good Luck.   :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©