3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Kuaii  (Read 345 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Kuaii
« on: December 29, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Looks like I will be spending a week on Kuaii this coming May.  Would love to spend a day or two chasing pigs or goats while we are there.

Anyone got suggestions on where to start?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Kuaii
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Check out the Hawaii hunting regs on their state website. You'll have to jump through a hoop or two to get the license. No biggie, just takes time. They do have deer there too, but I don't think May is the season. That's all I know about Kaui'i...if you were hunting Molokai I'd say Walter Naki is your man.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 02:28:00 AM »
Waimea canion has archery only hunting areas on both sides, ...lots of goats there, The Na Pali coast accessed fom the end of the road on the north shore has good goat hunting too and probably some hogs, I think you'll be more lucky with goats than pigs on that island.
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
It's like Manny says, we saw lots of goats in the Waimea Canyon when we were there and a little pig sign, unfortunatly I wasn't hunting them  ;)  Don't think the deer season will be open for you either.

Waimea is just a wee bit rough  ;)

Have fun!!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Your old buddy Steve has hunted Kauai' quite a bit in 2007 on two seperate trips.  Might ask him  ; ^ )

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
Send me a PM and remind me as I have a load of stuff that should help you out but it's on my other computer.  Will send you some stuff tomorrow that will get you lined out in detail.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
I think you are too late. You need to apply for a permit to hunt 6 months in advance. That was the rule in 2000....

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
Not too late.  There are appications for Lanai and perhaps other drawings for public lands on the various islands but that is not the case on Kauai such as the NaPali (Waimea is not open in May).

Strubby, You get that e-mail I sent?  Hope so as I was typing for half an hour to include all that info!

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Howzit Jeff,

I haven't hunted on Kauai but have flown over and through the valley. It was quite awhile back-----after hurricane Iniki hit the island, about a zillion years ago. There were alot of goats up the back side of the valley. Alot with nice color and some with pretty good headgear. I suspect things haven't changed much since then.

I would suggest you bring plenty of water/Gadorade with you. The humidity takes alot out of a person. Also get in shape because the Napali coast trail looks like a ball buster---especially if you are carrying a load.

Sorry I couldn't add more info. for you.  Just take your time and enjoy!

Aloha,

Mark

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Strubby-duby-doo where are you?

HEY Strubby!?!?

You get that info I sent???????

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Hey Jeff,
I was looking to hunt Kauai when my wife and I visited this past February.  I was able to get my hunters safety permit and would have been able to get a license....but someone from the Hawaii DNR got in touch w/ my wife first.

The terrain is very rugged and steep.  If you've got someone who knows the area(s) that is a big plus.  If you're hunting alone in areas that you're not familiar with, you can, fairly easily, walk right off a cliff.

I'll be visiting the Big Island in '09 and I WILL be hunting.  If I go back to Kauai, I will hunt there as well, but I'll only do so with someone who is familiar with the area(s) being hunted.

FWIW, my wife and I saw pigs while hiking.  There were LOTS of pigs.  Didn't seem too hard to bump into on the hiking trails.  We saw some goats too, and got the ubiquitous "goat shot" at the Waimea lookout...I think those goats walk out onto the ridge at sunup and return at sundown.

Have a great time and hunt if you can.
homebru aka nathan

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
Think I'm going to give it a pass this trip.

Just not gonna have time to walk in and make a decent hunt out of it.  

Steve, I got the email, thanks for the info.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
That is too bad both Homebru and Strubby, as it is an awesome, low cost hunt if you are there anyways.

You do have to watch waht you are doing but THOUSANDS of people hike this trail every year without incident.  My first time I did it with a partner and the second time solo.  There are MANY people that will help you out along the way if you need assistance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©