3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Explorer II Browning recurve  (Read 783 times)

Offline eggomaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
Explorer II Browning recurve
« on: December 28, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »
Where can I get specifications for a Browning Explorer II recurve? (50# at 62 inches)
It came with the string set at a brace height of 9 inches.
I checked the Browning website, have an email off to them, and Googled for hours.
Would specs for a bow be the same for dacron or fastflite string? I just want a starting point for tuning.
dance like Elvis is watching you

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Explorer II Browning recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
If you are speaking of brace height, the string material will not make a  difference.  If you are looking for the string length, the general rule of thumb is that the actual string length will be three to three and one half inches shorter than the bow length.  So on a 62 inch bow, the true string length will be some where in the 58 inch or even nearer to 57.  

Remember you can still be alright with a string on the long side, you can twist the string to get it to the right brace.  

I hope that helped some...
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
Egg,

By the way, on a bow of that vintage, I would not recommend a fastflight type string.  The string nocks may not be up to the challenge.  Stay with a good flemmish twist or continuos loop string made of Dacron.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Speaking from experience here do not even think fast flight on that bow. I ruined one with it. It cuts right through the limb and splits it. Dacron/ and congratulations on a great bow they are really good ones/. And pretty too.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
I agree with the above, definately do not use a FF type string on that bow. It isn't designed for it. I had one blow on me from a glue failure at the fadeout. What a shame, it was an excellent shooting bow while it lasted.

As I recall mine was braced around 8 1/2" or so.

Chris

Offline eggomaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Yes I have read that as general rule the 'starting length' for recurves is 4 inches less than the bow length, (3 inches less for longbows.)
I have read brace heights for recurves run from 7 1/2 to 9 inches. Would there have been a recommended brace height, starting point, from the factory. (I'll try that 8 1/2)
  Oh, somebody had told me if I wanted to use fastflite to ask the stringmaker to weave some dacron into the loops to 'soften' the strings for the tips.
   This is my second bow, 1rst recurve, and so far I'm loving it. It feels like it's holding me at the grip, instead of me holding it. Even though it isn't tuned yet, arrows wiggling in flight, a lot of the times I'm hitting what I'm aiming at. The arrow wiggle is left to right.
  It does need a new string. The one that came with it shows signs of wear.
dance like Elvis is watching you

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©