3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NJ winter bow scouting/ huntng outing pics added  (Read 16243 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NJ winter bow scouting/ huntng outing pics added
« Reply #300 on: January 12, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
If we do a Fall Bow hunt (going by 2007-2008 digest) Zones 2,5 & 7 all start second Saturday in September... With unlimited tags (anterless)w/ 1 buck. That should cover Whittingham, Pequest & Clinton WMA's, these are just the first ones to come to mind... I have been to these 3 WMA's but haven't hunted them.... If some knows better areas, Do Tell.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: January 12, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Alex, Joe, I'm glad to see you made it back over the border safe.

Jerry, sorry to hear about your @$$.

Now for a quick bite to eat and I'm off to work.Hmm maybe I shoulda took a nap like Joe and Larry   :banghead:
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
Still waiting to hear from the rest of the folks. This is the latest I slept in a long time. I must have been tired.Mike C. congrats on your doe! I forgot to mention the TWO FRESH SCRAPS I saw walking yesterday also!One on each side of Old Mine Road. Bucky has some pictures I can't wait to see. Sal if you want to do a group hunt next fall we have to go where the land is.If we have the same amount of guys there's only one place to go. The same places we hunted yesterday.We only touched the tip of the iceberg on Old Mine Road. Across 206 you have Stokes State Forest, plus from the Milford Bridge to the Delaware Water Gap Bridge.All that land including,  Flatbrook/Roy, Worthington State Forest. Look at a NJ Map and see.We weren't able to go down Struble Road because they close it after January 1st. There's plenty of places to hunt Bud. I would do a group hunt in that area because of the amount of land.Don't forget how many folks we had yesterday.If anyone wants to do a post season scouting trip let me or Bucky know. We LOVE being up there. Like Alex said yesterday this is God's Country for sure Vintage Sussex County. It hasn't and won't be touched for years to come.Everyone  can get to know the area better. You can still take a buck and a doe regular season. No early season.Post season trip; bring all your bows,targets, food, drink, we can go to the State Archery Range up there and have a " NJ Trad Gang late winter get together." Wives/girlfriends,and kids even.Folks I just wanted to say Thanks again for a great day in the woods. Alex, thank you for the CD and Reiner thanks for those carbons. I hope to get out today and check them out.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: January 13, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
heya guys had a blast but man was i beat.  Up at 0300 didn't get home last night till 0100.  I knocked right out!!

I had a blast with everyone top notch guys...sorry to hear ya'll didn't get to tag anything.  

Met some new faces and found some great land.  Honestly walking through them woods myself and pat found some amazing early season hunting spots...hell I may make the trip up there every once in a while to hunt next year.  There was a ton of sign and some perfect setups!  

Pat hope you made it home OK and when ever you want let me know you can always come by my house and shoot I got plenty of targets and 2 elevated shooting platforms to practice from.  Hey maybe we can get some scouting in this year together show me that state park LOL.

On a side note I had ticks ALL FRIGGIN OVER ME!  When I got to my cousins house my ol man borrowed my jacket to go outside to have a smoke and this morning he found a tick embedded in his stomach.  He yanked it out but the head stayed in...it must have just burried in b/c it hadn't started sucking blood yet.  What are the odds of catching that lyme disease stuff?  He is pretty paranoid right now.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: January 13, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
What a great day! We might not have moved as many deer, but we sure had fun.

The amount of sign on cardiac hill was almost enough to make me want to climb it again. I side-hilled most of it about 25 yards from the top, following a trail that was worn down to dirt. At one point that hill was so high, Bucky looked like an ant with an orange hat, and I swore I could see Warren County.

I wish I had brought my camera...even just to get a picture of that cedar up in Bear Alley. That tree was clawed up higher that I could reach. The shredded bark was still on the tree and on the ground around it.

I think Lee put more miles on his boots than he has in the past year of Boy Scouts. He was asleep before we made it to 206. And after getting "lost" twice, he will be carrying a crow call next time.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: January 13, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
Tom HOLY Cannoli Ticks! Didn't even think about them at all. Well from past experiance[had three on me two embedded one removed at Chilton Hospital]The Doctors told me it has to embedd and start sucking blood for 18 hours? They drink your blood and regurgitate back into your blood. Plus not all  ticks carry LYME they can but not all do.We did walk threw some thick crap and MILD TEMPS. Everyone should check themselves today for sure. If he's worried go to the Emergency room for peace of mind don't wait for a rash or bullseye /flu like symptoms.Tick removal... put a drop of dishwashing soap on the tick wait a while take a soapy cottonball with dishwashing soap and gently wipe away. There was a Trad Gang thread on this subject a while ago.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »
bentpole, I know that area is very big & with all the signs I can tell there is lots of deer/bear up there. I just said the other zones because for the ones that hunt the early season ( before the State opener ) if they take 2 deer before doing a group hunt, They wont be able to hunt.... Not that that's a bad thing... They can still hang out & help do some driving.... I was just looking at the big picture...

Of what I saw in that river bottom... I feel that will be a great place in the fall to hunt... Boy was the high land down there thick....

Ticks: I had 2 walking on me. 1 I found when going to the last drive... it was very small. The second one was a bigger one when I got home.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: January 13, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
Folks Check for Ticks!!Larry check Andrew and Eric check Lee I just put my clothes in the wash after  being in the garage all night.Check all the CRACKS and CREVICES!!!!!

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Yea Tom I was in some pretty nasty stuff in all the drives I did (im like a beagle i love that thick crap) and they were all over.  My ol mans was just embedded but never started sucking blood so  told him to relax and think nothing of it but I'll monitor him and if anything ill bring him to the ER.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: January 13, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Tom,
I wouldn't worry too much about lyme disease.  Even if it is the right type of tick (Ixodes, or deer tick), it needs to have been feeding for 24 hours to transfer the spirochete( Borrelia burgdorferi for all you nerds like me out there) into your bloodstream.  As long as he found them and has them off now he should be fine.  Sounds great as far as practice and scouting goes.  It's beautiful weather today and I'm tempted to skip out into the woods today for a walk, but unfortunately I have work and study to do.  I ordered a Morrell bag target when I got back yesterday, since my block target is on it's last legs.  I stayed awake until 1am, which makes for 42 hours straight - 6 shy of my record.  I don't want to do that again anytime soon.  I work a 27 hour shift on thursday and will probably get into the woods in the evening after a little nap.  The weather is supposed to turn crappy this week.  Cold and wet, but hopefully quiet.  I'll give you a buzz about shooting.

Offline Vision Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: January 13, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
"The Swashbuckler"...I wanted him to kill a deer so badly just so I could have my picture taken with him! Wear the Scarf next time! Arrrgghh!!!
I wish I killed a deer.  I would have taken pics with everyone!  I was glad I could provide some laughs for everyone.  It's good to have a few good laughs and enjoy the time in the woods if you're going to come home emptied handed after a day of hunting.

Sal's throwing around the idea of a fall hunt.  Hmmm...maybe I'll wear my breech clout    :eek:     :scared:

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: January 13, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Hey pat thanks for the info bro i appreciate it!

I was tempted to go for a walk in the woods but had to much to do around the house.  If the winds work out for me I'll be out tomorrow morning.  Can't have a south wind when I hunt down south but thats all we ever get LOL!

Them bag targets are great and for field points they will last ya a lifetime!

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: January 13, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
Here's some pics from yesterday.

Reiner's truck camo.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
More pictures, please! my camera batteries died
when I took the first picture     :rolleyes:    
So, all I have are these 2 bad quality pics taken with my phone. sorry...

Joe Skipp, Eric and Tom  
 fresh bear scat. too bad we can't see well. it was full of berries  
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
Now THIS kind of huntin' is right up my ally!!!!!

I started driving deer for my family on the farm when I was about 7 years old,and I been a Ground Hound ever since!!!!!

I may just have to get the lowdown from old Skipper and see about gettin' me a N.J. license next year   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: January 13, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
George that camera of yours has to be the best 100 buck camera out there. Great shots Bud! Man oh man I feel like taking  the week off and hunting.Hey we haven't heard from Pete yet he took the group shot.Alex, at least you tried to take pictures I was the one telling everyone to bring the cameras and I didn't take mine out of the glove box. YUCK good thing you didn't step in that.We saw almost as much Bear scat as we did deer scat... Nah I don't think so.Come on down Woodchucker!

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
What a great time yesterday w/a great bunch of guys!! The weather cooperated,just the deer didnt(lol).I think they have a PC and monitor this thread   :smileystooges:    It aint easy   :knothead:   Maybe next yr do a campin hunt   :campfire:   !! We can camp out at Worthington,which is minutes away.Something to think about.Hey Joe,dont let Scott influence you so much the night B4 next time.wHATS THE DEAL W/THE SNOW CAMO.He must have hit the bar B4 comin(lol)

Just a few pics.
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Tom,
I was thinkin' the same thing: Where is Pete, with the group shot??
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: January 13, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
ooops, there it is!! Great shots Pete
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: January 13, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
Yeh Ha right there! OK Pete. We were worried!Bottom group shot Left to right-Sal- mystic guido, Lee [Erics son]John-vision hunter] back to camera,Alex,Me,Eric-fyrfyter43, Larry-recurve50lbs,Andrew sitting [Larry's son]George-bucky,Pete-nontypical, Reiner,  Joe, Vaughn-deadsimple,Mike-bamboo, Steve,and Joe. Sorry I forgot Staten Island Steve's handle and Joe's handle.Scott-southpawshooter took that picture.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©