3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NJ winter bow scouting/ huntng outing pics added  (Read 16160 times)

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NJ winter bow scouting/ huntng outing pics added
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Hey Gangers, I have been following this thread and was wondering if you all minded if I tag along with you. I know the area well down there by the river. I live only 2 miles as the crow flies from Jumboland and my last Saturday to get in the woods for the season is this weekend. It would be great to meet some like minded tradbow hunters and swap some area knowledge. Thanks, Jason Yanvary

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
The more the better. Is anybody bringing treestands?

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
What time you all meeting?

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
I was thinking 5 30 at jumboland. Is that good for everybody? Treestands or we driving all day?

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Lodestar we must be neighbors It only takes me a few minutes to drive to Jumboland from my place. Come on and join us.

So guys, have we decided what we're gonna do? Looks like we're gonna have a good group. We should take advantage of the numbers. I like the idea of posting in the morning on both sides of the flatbrook by walpak for a few then doing some quick drives in some of the spots that Tom and Scott showed us along Old Mine road. Then maybe post a little before dark. Hey I'm open to just about anything, but we gotta decide so we can set meeting times and such.

Oh yeah I spoke with Jerry Jeffer earlier and he might join us too.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
Hey Vaughn and every one else. It looks real good for me to be able to join you all at least for the first half of the day. I'll meet Vaughn at his place and work from there. I'm excited!
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
5:30 is good for me. Vaughn I like your idea too.We meet at Jumboland at 5:30 if that's too early anyone that has to come later can call us on the cell phone to see where we are?.I know Tom has a hec of a ride.  Break up the group into two groups? Half on one side of the Flatbrook the other on the other side. Then have the groups walk towards the River at a certain time. I know there has to be deer bedding in those feilds and little wood lots . We spread out and push towards the Flat.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I'd say leave the stands home just bring something to sit on for early morning and at night.Jerry, Glad you can make it!Oh what time  does Jumboland open at?Sunday  Larry and I  sat until 6:00 waiting  for them to open

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
jumboland doesn't open till 6am i thought?

when ever ya'll decide to meet up ill try to get there.  just let me know which patch of woods to mosey my butt into and find a nice tree to post at.

just finished sealing my first set of homemade cedars hope i get my broadheads in time to bring em hunting and practice a bit before.

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Ron says it opens at 5 on Sats
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Man it's a small world. Hunted winter bow and ate a jumbo land for 15 yrs (1990-05).Good luck and keep your drivers tight boys. Those deer are some of the smartest deer I've ever drove. They will bust back through the smallest opening in the line.Hows the herd doing? The last year I hunted we moved more bears than deer.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
PV The herd isn't what it used to be for sure. Bucky and I have been hunting there since around 85 you remember what it was like back then.There will be more bear than deer if the GOV doesn't open the bear season again. The spring fawns have it rough between the Yotes and bear. Smart deer for sure. I don't know if you remember the feilds they cut along 560 years ago? Now you need a 'dozer to get through them.They sneak back in them to bed early morning. They also didn't cut the corn for pheasant season this year that hurt us too.Bucky still managed one opening day pheasant though.We still have some standing corn left. Might not hurt to push the corn too boys.

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Deadsmple, I live rite over by the kittatinny High school. On route 521 & Chandler drive.

Have some buddies who hunted over by the river last week and did drive a lot of bears around, matter of fact one freind saw 6 bears on one drive. They did however harvest 4 deer and saw a heck of a nice buck. My work partner had him at 15 yards and blew the shot. I hunted down by the river during the early season by the Van Campens Inn and saw loads of deer this year before the corn was cut. Havent been down since but I know they are there.

Are you guys planning on standing the AM and then doing some drives or just starting the day driving? Either way, I'm in even if its just to wallk the LB in the wood.   Jason

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »
Here's an idea. We meet at Jumbo Land to eat breakfast. Depending on how big the group is, split us into 2 groups. Then we head out and drive those 2 spots close to Jumbo Land, the first 2 spots Ron took us to. Then drive all day going spot to spot working our way north along the big D river. That way everyone will have an idea of what the game plan is keeping things simple instead of hopping from spot to spot burning more gas than time in the woods.
Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
I agree with Larry.  The deer in these areas have been hunted since the beginning of October.  Since Thanksgiving they have been pressed real hard by the muzzleloader and shotgun hunters.  The deer become largely nocturnal by now.  The best way to hunt January deer, other than baiting, is to get them moving with a drive. It sounds like there will be enough guys to put on effective drives, so let's put that to our advantage.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the update bentpole. My buddies will be hunting in the area the 10th-12th. Most of our drives are in the gap. If anyone's looking to do some drives next week they could hook up with them.Good bunch of guy's even if some shoot wheels. Look for some MA and NJ lic plates and tell them Sam Elliot said to look them up.
Good luck and looking forward to the stories.
Paul

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
Good point Scott. We really should take advantage of our numbers and get those deer moving. Besides it sure would be nice to be eating breakfast while we finalize things instead of standing in the dark on the side of the road.
All praise is the Lords

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
Wow lodestar we are neighbors. I'm just off Mt Benevolence on Owassa rd.
All praise is the Lords

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
well im off to work wont be home until friday night.  ill try to check in from time to time to see if there are any updates.

so lets figure out what time we want to meet up.

im gonna try to fletch a new set of arrows over the next 2 1/2 days while im on tour hope i get some downtime for it LOL.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
Folks I'm  going back to work in a minute [gotta work a double]Just spoke to Alex [sorry i cut our conversation short]he has his NJ License excellant! I'm game for anything. Can't wait to get out in the woods again this time with the bow!. Drives it is.Big breakfast and push the woods. The only bummer is the wifes cousins are coming down from New Hampshire this weekend and they are taking everyone out for dinner Saturday night[the family] so I can only hunt until noon!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©