3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stos SB ??  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Stos SB ??
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
I have heard (here) that Stos was coming out with a single bevel broadhead. Does anyone have any details? weigths, dimensions etc, When will they be out? Thanks,,Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stos SB ??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Wondering the same things Frank. I saw in the latest TBM that Stos had changed hands and that Magnus will continue to build them and that a single bevel was in the works........no other details though. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Yeah I too read about the change of ownership and the possibilites of major improvements. If STOS makes a Teflon coated single bevel broadhead in heavy grain weights (160,190), they will be producing one of the world's most deadliest broadheads. I hope they come through, count me in for a couple dozen! T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline GameGetter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
I tryed to check it out also but there web sight would not come up. Maybe do to the new ownership thing.?
Be well, shoot well,
Dan Heitstuman

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
We were notified a few months ago that STOS had changed hands.  The new owner (Todd) was talking about the changes mentioned in TBM at that time.  Sounds like some great ideas to me.

It might be a little difficult to pull off quickly IMO however.  As you know STOS heads are subbed out to Magnus.  Magnus does not make many heads in 160 grain and none over that...nor do they use Eclipse style teflon or have a single bevel anything...so there could be some work to do there yet to bring it to fruition.

I hope it all comes together soon as STOS are some awesome heads already.    :thumbsup:    I believe I'd welcome a chance to head into the woods with a 200 grain left single bevel STOS!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Tim,
I would like to see it come around too, but Tim is absolutely right.  It will be difficult to pull of quickly since the new owner will be relying on Magnus to make the changes.  Time and and patience. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
STOS are great already. I use tanto-pointed 160gr. and 130gr. almost exclusively, along with a couple old Eskimos. single bevel could indeed be greater, according to Ashby. 2 questions:
1.I use LW feathers. would they make STOS Left and/or right bevel?
2 could single-bevel STOS please come sharpened already, for people like me who are incapable ( or not willing) to learn to use a file and can't stand the Lansky kit?!?   :mad:    :D
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
I agree with Alex. The last bull elk I shot was with the 160grain STOS, full penetration and the bull went down in seconds. That being said, I would welcome the improvements that are being talked about. Patience is a virtue. T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
Todd is a friend of mine. I'll let him know of this thread and if he's available maybe he can shed some light. Mike

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
I'd rather see a heavier version of their current heads, I'm not a fan of the single bevel, mainly 'cause I can't get them sharp!!!  ;)   :)

BD

Offline blowinthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
When shooting a SB head-the grind should match the helical. If shooting a right helical the right side should be ground and vice versa for left. Sharpster can probably give great advice on sharpening the SB and DB heads.
Adcock ACS CX 57#@28
Grizzly Stix Alaskans
Simmons Interceptor 190-RB
1957 Bear Grizzly(Grand dad's)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
How about a 160 STOS with standard bevels and a great bleeder?!!?? Now to me, that would be the perfect broadhead  :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
Yep, thats what I was thinking. A teflon coated normal bevel STOS with a bleeder would be the perfect head!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
I'll vote for adding a bleeder blade....a long time coming...hope it happens.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
What's the difference between the stos and the grizz?  The physically look the same except for one has a double bevel.  If they change it to a single bevel, we have another grizz!  lol

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Mr. Chuck Ummmmm........ Perhaps you should take a closer look. There are design differences. On the other hand there are a limited number of things to do to make a singleblade/two edged broadhead> If all we had available were Magnus, or Zwickey or Ace or Eclipse  or Tuskers how much difference would it REALLY make?

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
mr chuck...I believe the grizz is  2 thicknesses of steel stamped to make the ferrule and bonded together...the stos is 3 pieces, one blade-center, and two stamped ferrule pieces, so the point of a stos is actually 3 thinknesses instead of 2.  never put a micromiter on either a stos or grizz but would suspect the stos to be a bit thicker on the nose.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
And the STOS is wider also.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
I have used STOS heads and like them. I want to plead some ignorance - why a single bevel?  
     Frank X.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Dr. Ed Ashby's research shows that single bevels split bone more effectively....which makes some sense when you look at the end on profile of a 2edged broadhead sharpened on each edge with single bevels. There is a transference of forward motion into rotational torque as it penetrates. Whether this is reason to abandon the double bevel heads that have worked for thousands of years is up to each individual. I'd buy some single beveled STOS heads.... but I'm not worried about using the old double bevel Zwickeys, Ace, Ribteks and Razorheads in my stash.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©