3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ***Daily Hunt Pics 2004***  (Read 29353 times)

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ***Daily Hunt Pics 2004***
« Reply #420 on: November 28, 2004, 10:02:00 PM »
I setup along this old road and rattled to see if I could draw anything out of the thick reprod. During the second session of rattling a buck came charging around some trees at 25ft and caught me banging the bones. I quickly dropped the "horns" and grabbed my bow, but the buck spooked and ducked behind some thick brush. Nice day to be in the mountains though!

"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #421 on: November 28, 2004, 11:13:00 PM »
This is the coolest thread  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:   Ive seen more neat pictures on here than I have in a years worth of magazines.  This needs to go in the classics and do another one next year.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #422 on: November 29, 2004, 02:40:00 AM »
Yep.... sure is a top Thread. Just glad I could post something.

From Oz.........Alan..  :wavey:
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #423 on: November 29, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »
Heck Aussie I'm lovin the pics you guys are posting from down under, and everybodies elses stuff too. Know the feelin Sackett I'd hate to wake up in the morning and not be able to look out and see stuff like this.  

I was up scouting for lion tracks and couldn't pass up this shot. There's a cabin in the lower right hand corner and two bunches of elk in the center.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline smalson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #424 on: November 29, 2004, 06:05:00 PM »

It was on the first morning of my hunt in SE Iowa.  When we planned our hunt, we targeted the week of November 8 for peak rut activity.  That morning at 6:00, a 6 point passed on the primary trail I was watching.  He freshened the scrape that was 25 yards from my tree.  He then walked up the hill and out of my world.  At about 6:20, two does followed the same trail.  They both sniffed the scrape and the larger of the two urinated there.  They walked up the hill as had the 6 point.  15 feet from the scrape they stopped to look to their left.  I heard a deep, long grunt and the does took off running straight away from me over the crest of a harvested bean field that was 100 yards up hill from me.  A huge bodied deer ran through the brush to where the does had stood and then chased them up and over the hill.  His body was like a barrel and was twice the width of either doe!  His rack was massive and went far beyond his ears and stood as high as a bushel basket.  He stopped on the crest of the hill for a few seconds allowing me to get a quick look with my 10x Bausch & Lomb binocs.  He was amazing.  I estimated that he’d score in the 175+ range, but he was headed the wrong way.  
Half an hour later, I saw movement in the bean field and saw some deer moving toward me.  They were does and kept looking back as they moved my way.  I heard grunting and soon they were joined by a non-typical Romeo who chased them down toward me.  I tried to get a good look at him but the brush didn’t allow it.  When they finally convinced him that they weren’t ready for romance, he moved to the scrape.  It was then that I got a good look at him.  He had a beautiful 4 point rack on one side that swept around in the classic high whitetail form with 8 inch tines and decent mass.  The other side also carried 4 points, but the main beam got outside the brow tine then went nearly straight up.  He worked the scrape then moved off.  He’d have surpassed 100, but I don’t know how far.  The day before a friend had been in the same tree and had shot a buck whose rack was mirror image of that buck.  His buck had more mass and was an old monster.  He may have been the father or older brother of the one I saw.  
Through the next couple hours, several bucks passed through, all in the spike to 8 point range, all 1.5 years old and looking over their shoulders.  A little after 9, I looked down the hill and saw a buck approaching.  My standards for the hunt were pretty clear.  I’ve shot several 8 and 9 point bucks, but never a 10.  I wanted a 10 point or greater!  I’ve also shot a ton of bucks, but none have been 90” or bigger.  I wanted something in the 120 range, minimum.  I saw a buck approaching from down the hill and south about 75 yards.  The first thing I noticed was a ridge that ran around the inside of each main beam.  The morning sun drew my attention to it immediately.  Because of the brush and the awkward angle of turning to use my binoculars, I couldn’t see too well.  He was an 8, and I estimated him in the 110 range.  He had decent mass.  He stomped around in the brush for a full 15 minutes, moving one way and another in the bushes.  He worked a tree over and looked for love.  He finally made his way to the scrape and gave it the full treatment.  Licking, raking the branch, rubbing his eyes on it, scraping the ground with antlers and hooves, sniffing, then urinating on both back legs into the scrape.   During that time I noticed two points I hadn’t previously seen.  He was not 120+, but he was a 10 point and I wanted him to come down my trail.  The scrape was too far for my taste (and practice), and there were just a few twigs between me and him.  I wouldn’t shoot.  
When he finished working the scrape, he took a couple steps toward the trail leading past my tree, but stopped to contemplate.  He then walked back through the scrape and took a couple steps up the hill toward the bean field.  He once again stopped, turned, and headed directly north, which angled him past my stand at 20 yards.  I drew my 55+# Shakespeare Necedah (58” with Selway quiver) and held for a couples seconds as he stopped behind a tree then walked through the best opening I had before he headed out of range.  The little orange puff I’d glued/tied on the nock traced a path into his right side as he was slightly quartering away.  He ran 60-70 yards and stood looking around.  My orange 2013 shaft with its red and yellow feathers protruded from his right side.  More interesting to me was the 5 inch portion with Magnus Stinger 2 blade dripping blood on the left side.  He stood there for the lifetime of a few seconds while I watched, hoping for him to drop while I had my Discoverers glued to my eyes.  He didn’t drop.  After a few seconds/moments/years he ran toward the bean field.  
I pulled out my radio and turned it on.  I had a friend in a tree 100 yards away and out of sight.  His response was, “What did you shoot?”  I told him it was a 10 point that might reach 110” and had good mass.  Kelly told me that he had seen the buck with the arrow in it and not to trail it without him because that is part of the fun.  Since it was 9:30 and prime time, I told him I’d carry my heavy stuff the ¾ mile to the truck then come back.  I had the shakes so bad I couldn’t be safe sitting 23 feet up in a tree!  After a 1.5 mile hike that included seeing bucks number 10, 11, and 12 for the morning, I got back to my stand.  I told Kelly I was back so he met me where the buck had been standing.  There was enough blood to trail easily, but not as much as I’d expected from what appeared to be a solid double lung shot.  We trailed the buck from the point of the shot to the point where he stood.  There was a puddle there.  We followed the trail to the edge of the woods and through the weeds, but in the harvested beans there was no blood.  Nothing.  
I always like to extend the suspense of the trailing process by keeping my eyes to the ground and letting the trail lead me to the deer.  No blood in the beans, so I lifted my head and looked ahead.  Nothing.  Nada.  Flat field.  I scanned left.  Nothing.  I scanned right, and there was my buck lying 50 yards away.  He was facing away so I could just see the rear end and a rack holding his head off the ground!  He had grown after I shot him!!!  When Kelly saw him, he thought I’d been pulling his leg when I said 100, maybe 110”.  I guess I just wasn’t used to the body size.  I got 140 lbs. of boned meat from the processor.  His inside spread is 16.75” and he is a typical 10 with 7 inch tines.  I don’t yet know his score, but we rough scored him at well over 120.  I fulfilled both my goals and at this point I’m shooting a perfect score with traditional archery!  One shot, one buck.  

Steve
2 Corinthians 3:18  ...being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory...that comes from Him.

Offline smalson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #425 on: November 30, 2004, 11:28:00 PM »
Had a baffling incident in the woods tonight.  I was in a tree 150 yards from my son.  He's never shot a buck and it was the last night of gun season.  A six point buck came toward me and stopped at 20 yards.  I wanted him to head for my son but he went the opposite way.  I shot the ground 5 feet in front of his nose with my 12 ga. slug.  

Here's the baffling part . . .   At the shot he flinched and kicked up his heels.  He ran away with his tail down . . .  exactly like the deer have responded to heart shots.  He ran 50-60 yards and disappeared behind a couple tree trunks.  I never saw him again even though the woods are rather open.  Was he laying there

I knew that my gun was sighted in and I knew where my crosshairs were when I shot . . .  but I sat in the stand for the remaining hour of light wondering if he had run and dropped from an unintended slug.  

I climbed down thinking that if I'd intended to get him, I'd be full of confidence because of his reaction.  I was relieved to see no sign of blood or hair or deer . . .  he would live to see another day!

And yes.  He did run directly away from my son, who saw nothing.
2 Corinthians 3:18  ...being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory...that comes from Him.

Offline ccampbell2546

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #426 on: December 01, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »
It is opening day of late archery season here in Michigan. No deer but I took these pictures this morning. I also missed one tree-rat.

MI Bowhunter >>--->

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #427 on: December 01, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »
What's all that white stuff?   :bigsmyl:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #428 on: December 01, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »
must be sand
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #429 on: December 01, 2004, 10:25:00 PM »
Stan, that blind is THE TICKET for killing turkeys. I use my longbows out of mine. It awesome to be able to draw on a turkey with 25 or 30 pairs of eyes and not being busted.  :bigsmyl:
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #430 on: December 02, 2004, 01:28:00 AM »
You sure live in a nice part of the World there Doug. I plan on nocking or your door, if I ever get in your neck of the woods......  :thumbsup:

Alan in Oz..........
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #431 on: December 02, 2004, 02:38:00 AM »
Here is a pic of some Rusa stags that got wind of me...... enjoy

Alan in Oz...  :wavey:  ...

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #432 on: December 03, 2004, 07:28:00 PM »
This evening in a ground blind.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #433 on: December 03, 2004, 08:02:00 PM »
Curt,

That picture just oozes of killing mojo.  Makes me think I could kill something from there while sitting here.  Neat!!!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #434 on: December 03, 2004, 11:15:00 PM »
Hunting late season Roosevelts in the Oregon Cascades...

Looking down into Moose cr...

Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline Rich Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #435 on: December 03, 2004, 11:21:00 PM »
Hey I was there last week!!! You following me around??? I could have shot a 4 point bull how did you do.

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #436 on: December 03, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »
Typical logging road...

Hang on!

There's one of them Roosevelts now..

I went as hard as I could for a 1/2 mile or so trying to beat these elk to this saddle..

I ain't never won a race with a elk yet...   :knothead:  

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #437 on: December 03, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »
Hey Rich,

Are we talking the same Moose cr??? I am above SweetHome..

I have been on elk every day..I have been tracking...Had some close calls...I think we are getting some more low snow this weekend...

Can't wait.
   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

Offline Rich Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #438 on: December 03, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »
The wife aint going to let me go any more with the job situation. to much money in gas. Hey by the way whats with all the road hunters around there?

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #439 on: December 04, 2004, 01:17:00 AM »
Dang Santiam, I wonder how those durn loggers get around on that steep ground?

We'll probably have tracking snow here at the house by Sunday, still looking for a Blacktail since elk are off limits up here!

T.K.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©