3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new boots for elk hunting  (Read 801 times)

Offline B-DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
new boots for elk hunting
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
what type of boots do i need for bow hunting elk in sep nextyear. i want to get a new pair and get them broke in good. how much insulation? gortx?

thanks benji

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: new boots for elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
I've used Vasque Sundowners, a low topped all leather hiking boot.  Work very well.  A little on the stiff side for quiet sneaking, but I still like them for hunting.  Also used Lowas.  Can't remember the model name, but they had primarily nylon/leather tops and a little softer sole.  They too, worked very well, though my toes did have a tendency to bruise on the front of the toe box on a lot of downhill stuff, unless I had them laced real tight.  Most recently, I've used a pair of Danner Pronghorns.  Combination leather and nylon uppers.  They're a taller boot and I bought them for more ankle support.  A fairly soft lugged sole. Like those as well, though I like the fit of my Vasques best of all.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
I had 2 pair of Vasque with sole separation in one season! Never again. The Asolos are awesome. Built better and cost about the same. The fit perfect right out of the box too. Very comfortable. I have had them for 2 yrs. and are wearing like iron.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
I take two pair with me when I go elk hunting.  Danner pronghorns and Lacrosse burlies.  Danners are great most of time.  Good ankle support, comfortable, nice walking boot.  If it is REALLY wet, then the burlies come out. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
I just bought a pair of danner pronghorns for my elk hunt in september.I have worn them 3 days and thier broke in allready.Very comfortable.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Danners are awesome boots I have been using mine for 2 years now, the only poblem I have is that If I dont treat them REGULARLY they Squeak the leather rubs up against itself at the tongue groove and creeks, it's rather annoying, BTW  I have the Superslam model if that makes a difference, I kept my Reciept too and Cabellas said that they will exchange them No questions asked..

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
The Danner Fort Lewis "Go Devil" boots are the toughest insulated boots money can buy.

We were issued the Danner Acadia boots, and they are a close second. I wore these boots for cold weather training in Kodiak. I was wet all the time there, I fell off the Seafox and was in the cold north pacific for 12 minutes before I was picked up by another boat. I was cold and wet------When I pulled the boots off, my feet were dry. Only the first 2 inches into the top of the boot were wet.

I used the same boots for duty in Desert Shield and Desert Storm as a Naval spec warrior. I abused the boots in a combat scenario without a problem 1 involved. Not only warm in the cold, but absorbant and cool in the heat.

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
B-Dog, what type of elk hunt are you planning on going on? I have been elk hunting for the past twenty five years and I have experimented with many different footwear. It is a personal choice in the end. Here in SW Colorado, I stay completely away from heavy boots. A full day walking the mountains will make you feel that you want light weight footwear. I use two similiar pairs of shoes. I use the Lowa mid Tempest, and a trail runner called the Asolo Velocity. They are both extremely lightweight and have soft soles. For me, weight and comfort are the priority. T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
I have 2 pair of Asolo all leather boots that I rotate, and always have a back up handy. They fit real well-not too hot, and one of the few you can get with no GT without breaking the bank.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »
In September it has to be awfully steep and rocky to get me out of some very light, soft-soled 8" things I bought at Cabela's ("Silent Stalker", or something similar).  I see where they went to a thicker sole and heavier boot...I should have bought five pairs before they messed them up.  I can't pack meat in them happily, but I sure like to hunt in them.

I have some Pronghorns too, and like them.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline jdeck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 01:28:00 AM »
I would take Asolo over anything on the market. These wear like iron  http://www.rei.com/product/694262.  They are light, very water proof and have good support.
Scarpa makes a good boot too but they are quite stiff.
As someone else said in the end it is personal preference. I would really recommend gore-tex though. With out your feet will be soaked in about 10 min of walking in grass with dew on it. I would also use wool socks (use a thin liner if it is really cold) instead of insulated boots.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 01:56:00 AM »
I like good strong cleats on the sole of the boot; and do NOT get boots that are white. Elk will look under brush and if you have white socks showing; or white boots- and they make them- the elk will spook.

I like a warm boot; even in warm weather ( maybe frostbitten feet like being warm) and wear 500 gram insulate even in 110 degree weather.

I am looking for tall boots now; like 16 inches; and I want rubber bottom type boots. I wear 11 1/2 EEE - and I am not finding half sizes in what I am looking for.........  :help:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 03:07:00 AM »
I can vouch for the comfort of the Danners and Asolos mentioned here. I have 2 pairs of each, they are all comfortable out of the box and need little break in. just make sure the fit is good enough so your toes don't hit the front on the down hills.

Online BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 03:34:00 AM »
go to a Bass Pro, or Cabelas, and try on every pair of boots they have in every different size with a sock you think you'll be wearing.

whichever boot "fits" you is the one you buy

it might be the $119 pair, it might be the $319 pair, but everyones foot is different, and every boot manufacturer calls a size 8 1/2 EEEE something different ( Danner 8 1/2 EEEE is too small, Cabelas 8 1/2 EEEE is way too big, New Balance 8 1/2 EEEE "fits"
 my foot )

Just my opinion ....... currently I hunt in a Russell Moccassin boot that I sent them an outline of my foot and they matched a pair in stock they had - good fitting boot for me, though I've worn the soles out  :)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
I have hunted CO and NM in September and anything is possible in the weather, its not possible to have one pair of boots that are perfect for everything. I actually take three pairs of boots. One pair is higher and gortex, with light insulation, just in case it snows. The two pairs that I wear the most and alternate most days so they can dry out in between. One are the Cabelas Elk Hunters, which are made by Danner, these I wear the most, no gortex or insulation so they breath well and dry out fast, I do treat them with silicone, so I have not had any problems with wet feet, other than sweat. The other pair are Danner hikers with gortex, but no insulation. I usually wear these if I think it might rain, but can alternate these with the Elk hunters as long as its not real warm. Most times in September cold feet are not a problem. Pick your SOCKS first and then wear them when you try on boots and get the best socks you can.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
I have used LL Bean hunting boots for years and after reading G. Fred's book, "Stalking and Still Hunting" thats what I used last year on an elk hunt in S.W.Colorado in early Sept.  They worked well for me. Good wool socks seemed to be more important at that time of year than insulated boots.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
I've had a couple pair of Lowa GTX mids that I've been really happy with. I put the miles on them year-round and they've treated me pretty well.
I also use the Danner light hikers with gore-tex if I need something with a little more stability.

for what it's worth
Is it September yet?!

Offline Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
My archery hunting conditons (wet, steep, seldom snowy, and far-from-roads) have taught me 3 things: lightweight (no full height boots), waterproof, and semi-soft soles (no rock-hard vibrams). If your hunting conditions match mine, you can't go wrong matching those specs with your boots. I just bought a pair of the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, and my feet are soaked in 10 minutes of walking. Won't make that mistake again!

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
DANNER Canadians with Schnee's pac boot for back up.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Consider the terrain and what your feet need as well.  I wish I could wear a lighter trail shoe like T talks about, but I have bad ankles and need the support.  I also seem to gravitate to steep country, I don't know why.  I have settled with the Denali's by Meindl/Cabelas, and am very happy with them.  They are probably more of a "sheep" boot but they protect my feet/ankles and are pretty comfortable.

Rick is right on with the socks.  I wear under armor no shows and smart wool and my feet stay fairly comfy from 15-70 degrees.

Nathan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©