3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ***Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2005***  (Read 24763 times)

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ***Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2005***
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2005, 08:09:00 AM »
My last photo shows the only animal that I stalked within range of.  Of course, I didn't have a javalina tag!

It was a nice bowhunting adventure and I hope to return next January.  The only downside was the amount of illegal aliens passing through this area, something that made me worry about my safety as a loner instead of focusing on the animals.  I had planned on "coyote hunting", sleeping wherever the night found me as i followed the deer, but upon the advice of the border patrol agents I encountered, I slept in my locked truck with my 2 friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2005, 08:23:00 AM »
Always an excellent choice of companions! That certainly is a beautiful place. Your first picture made me feel the spirit of the land. I don't know if I would see any game out there at all, I would be so busy scanning the ground for chipped stone. That was a grand hunt indeed!

Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BrandoninAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2005, 08:34:00 AM »
Jeff, that second pic looks like the backside of the Huachucas, am I right?
Brandon Twite
->>>------------>

Offline Warren H. Womack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »
Jeff, You did a great job posting your first batch of pictures. I look forward to seeing lot's more.

Thank you for sharing.

Warren
>>>==Warren==>>>

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2005, 09:19:00 AM »
Thanks Jeff!!!!!!....nice pics.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »
Really nice Jeff, Thanks.
I have the pamplet that Mr Warner Glen put together on the jaguar he bayed up. It's the first wild Jaguar ever taken on film in the United States. It has several pictures and the story how they ended up with the cat bayed in the rocks. He called it Eyes of Fire. Good stuff

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2005, 12:17:00 PM »
Really nice pictures, thanks

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »
Hey Jeff,

Great pics as usual.  Are those still the same arrows from the moose hunt?  

Great to see you posting pics here.

Take care,
David

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »
Thanks, and to think they came from a wal-mart disposable camera!  I really need to buy a decent digital camera and carry it all the time.

Yes, David, same arrows - I'm cheap!

Brandon, that ridge is actually part of the Tumacacori mountains.

Killdeer, I always kept one eye on the ground but was not lucky enough to find any arrowheads.  I even spent time in this cave, blackened from many fires, without luck.  I could almost feel the ghosts of the past, and wondered just who and what had used this cave throughout time...

Tracks in the dirt revealed that the most recent visitor was a large cat.

Jeff
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »
Very interesting pics Jeff, thx for posting.  Much different than swamps here.   :-))
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »
Charlie,

THAT'S THE PICTURE!!!

What a heck of a shot, for both your and the guy on the camera.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »
Jeff , where do ya get tag for the ilegals aliens????????....what the best bait...  :scared:    :thumbsup:  IM JUST KIDDING PEOPLE , lighten up its all good...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline WoodChips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »
Jeff,
Those are some great pictures. Beautiful country. Hope to get out there someday. Thanks for sharing.
Brandon Byers

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2005, 07:12:00 AM »
Roughcountry, I couldn't get over the beauty of the jaguar in the photos I saw.  Big cats fascinate me.  It reminded me of a story I heard about a hunter in south or central america, who hunted them with a spear.  I'd love to learn more about him, if anybody knows.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2005, 07:47:00 AM »
Jeff the pics are just great. Next best thing to actually being there. I especially like the one of the bow next to the cactus.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »
Jeff
The spear hunters name was Shasha Semiual or something like that. There are two or three books about his hunts but they are long out of print and very expensive. I've seen a few for sale but way out of my price range.
  When they quit letting you bring the hide of the jaguar back into the united states it stopped most the hunting of the cats for profit. I have a couple books by outfitters that ran hunts in cental and south america. Real good reading but I don't remember one story of someone using a bow.

Mr Glen in his booklet says it was his all time hunting highlite when he bayed the cat up. Thats says a lot, he's been hunting and guiding hunters for most of his life. All the profits for his booklet went to a fund to pay ranchers for any preadation the cat caused. They tryed to head off a listing under the endangered spec. act but failed I think.
  If it was legal to bring back the hide a jaguar hunt would be at the top of my list for the ultimate hunt. I'd love to do it with a bow but notice most of the guys who hunted them carried shotguns. Bad kitty in a scrape I think.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2005, 11:49:00 AM »
Hey Robin, Ya got room for a Texas Boar hunter in Oregon next year during cat season? I'd love to do a little kitty pestering! CK

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
CK, Got room for you in my camp anytime. I tryed to see what the chances would be this winter on getting a big cat without dogs. It was a bad year snow wise so wasn't a fair test. I did find one kill that I could of got a cat off of, problem was she was a young female so I didn't sit on it.
 They are trying to introduce a bill to bring back the dogs on a limited basis. Trying to stop our deer & elk from the big nose dive their on. Don't know if our Governer will sign it. I know you don't want one with dogs but at least if you missed getting a shot we could send you home with a great picture. You sure never forget when one locks those eyes on you. Kind of the same as landing a huge gamefish takin a pic and letting him go. Better than a harvest in my book.

I might have a deal thought out on our fall bear also. I'll give it a try this fall and let you know if it's good enough odds for the darn out of state fees. Don't know that I'd say the cat odds are very good after this winters huntin. If you ever get up this way I'll have extra firewood cut. I've heard you really like things cool after living in that heat all the time.

The tent don't have anything electric so your safe that way.  ;)

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »

Got to feelin bad about all the yakin and no pics. There are three little forked horn CFU's here [ cougar food units] One's behind the tree and one had lost one horn. We were seeing who would blink first. They never did leave, I just walked off.

Offline DTala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2005, 08:45:00 PM »
Roughcountry, guys name was Sasha Siemel, a Latvian who hunted in Brazil 50-60 yrs ago. I met him at a lecture he did bout 1959-60 here in Birmingham Al. He spoke and showed his films of the jungle and him killin a jaguar with a hand held spear, 250#cat. Much of a man!!!
 He would use dogs to run and bay the cat. He would then taunt the cat into attacking him. Basically he let the cat spear itself then the fight was on. He would hold the cat down until it died from spear wound. He said it got interesting when the speared cat would twist off the spear, 6-7 feet away, and try to come inside spearin range.
 troy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©