3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ***Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2005***  (Read 24747 times)

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ***Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2005***
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »
Nice bear Stan,but wheres the story??  :confused:  

This weekend was the elk opener here in Oregon,but due to work (work sucks) we were able to only get out Sunday morning...

It wasn't long until we spotted a good herd across the canyon on yonder ridge...

Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »
It was a long hike around and my brother and hunting partner was keeping a eye on them...As we got closer there was 20 some cows and calves a couple spikes,a small brancher and a BIGGE!!!

We were looking into the morning sun and pics of the elk were not turning out..

Offline Warren H. Womack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
Santiam, What a wonderful picture.

Country like that has to make one feel really small. Our ridges down here in bayou country, don't look anything like that.

Hopefully, your next time out, you will have them on the same ridge with you.

Thanks for posting.
>>>==Warren==>>>

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »
We finally got in close and set to try and call in one of the bulls..

Due to our expert calling and vast knowledge of elk and their habits we were able to call in these confused calves into bow range..  :confused:    :readit:  

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »
Hey Warren...

Lots a country like that around here..Everything is either UP or DOWN..  :scared:

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2005, 01:09:00 AM »
SUPERB!!  :thumbsup:

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2005, 02:08:00 AM »
Nice pics Bill.  Spent the last two days wandering around the Waldo Lake Wilderness.  About 13 miles a day up and down and no shots fired.  Saw one nice bull though and there's always next weekend.

As for the bear.  I shot him out of a treestand.  I'd had a trail camera up in the woods since the middle of July to see what kind of bucks were in the area that I have permission to hunt on.  Last week of July I go to check on the camera and it's been torn off of the tree and bitten.  Luckily the lens and the flash were intact, but the LED screen was toast.  I decided I'd kill the bear if I could.

As some of you may know, Oregon has a no bait, no dogs law.  My understanding though is that you can use scent to bring bears in, as long as it is on you.  So...I bought this stuff called 12 Miles of Dead Fish, which is basically a scent stick that you burn.  And it does reek.  I climbed up a tree in my climber stand and lit one of those babies up and hunted till dark with the stupid thing stuck in the laces of my boot.  Nothing.  Talk about feeling like a dork!

Anyway, I still had some sticks left and figured you can't rule anything out until you've tried it more than once, so a couple of nights later I was up the tree again with a stink stick in my boot.  Just as it was getting dark and I was thinking these things were made to sell to idiots, I hear some huffin'.  Sure enough here comes Yogi, real skittish.  He walks in on me quartering to and I don't have much of a shot so I waited and he boogered up and ran off about 50 yards and started sniffing some more.  I thought I'd blown it.  After about 15 seconds though he came circling in again.  He passed behind some bushes and when he came out he turned broadside in front of a tree and I hammered him.  He ran off about 40-45 yards into brush and I heard him moan his last.  I'd say less than 8 seconds from impact to death.

So that's the story.  Don't think I'd do it again.  Feels hippy weird hunting with incense in your boot, but considering the camera, we had a score to settle.

Stan

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
HA HA HA!!!!!!
Hippy weird hunting with incense in your boot.
Now thats comedy,i love it!!!!
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline WaKeDa BT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »
Wonder if it would work to just bailin wire or duct tape a carp to each leg...Suthern Adaptation  ;)
"Shoot'em when they ain't lookin"

Offline wolfhawaii

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »
Hey Santiam, nice pics...is that up above detroit? Looks like the country I grew up in....beautiful! Good luck with the elk!
Good job on the bear, Stan....ya got even for the camera!Hippie style huntin' too cool! Aloha, Steve

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2005, 07:29:00 AM »
"Suthern Adaptation"  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:

Santiam: Please keep the photos coming!! I am amazed at all the roads in those photos. Is that pretty common in your area? Seems you would be huntin some pretty edjucated elk, with all that access?????  Best of Luck
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: September 03, 2005, 01:37:00 AM »
I hunted hear the Diamond Peak Wilderness today.  Here's a pic of the peak and a couple of rubs that I found this morning.  Took me until noon to get on the herd.  One nice branch bull, a spike and fifteen cows and calfs.  I got responses to cow calls and even heard the big boy bugle a couple of times.  I got inside 50 yards of them a couple of times, but it was just too thick to get any shots.

Was going to head back out there tomorrow, but I think I'll stay at home, play with my kids and send the gas money to Red Cross.

Stan

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2005, 06:11:00 PM »
Steve,
Welcome back! Haven't seen you post in quite some time and had wondered how you were doing.....Keep us posted on how things are going in Alaska...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: September 04, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »
I nearly broke in my new Blacktail recurve Saturday. Called in a real nice bull early in the morning to less then 20 yards, but he wouldn't step broadside and present a shot. As he moved across the hillside I stopped him quartering away at a little over 30 yards, but that's beyond my shooting range so I passed the shot.

I found several fresh rubs...

I went and checked a seep I knew about and found several fresh mud wallows...

...and a dry wallow that still had a pee spot where the bull had freshened it!

Hope to go back in there Tuesday evening and see if the bull or his daddy is in the area.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: September 04, 2005, 10:03:00 PM »
I can smell that from here, Ron!

Killdeer  :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: September 04, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
Killdeer,

Smells good don't it!!

Wolf,

Your close..

Yohon,

Those roads are gated and most are not drivable...75% of the time you see elk up there and they are ON the roads..They make good elk trails..    :knothead:    

We made the long hike in to a secret basin...Usually has a bull or 2 around..

Thats it where the 2 ridges come together above the rock in the center...Actually its the very start of a river...

Rubs and wallows were around...Just not the elk..

Pair of Quests with Mt. Jefferson in the background...

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »
Bill...I was just on the north side of Mt Jeff!  :thumbsup:  

Killy...those new digital cameras with the "scratch & sniff" option are the best invention in a long time!  :D  

Tree Killer
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
I seen something shining in the sun over there..Must a been that fancy Blacktail..  :bigsmyl:

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2005, 01:50:00 AM »
Ron and Bill,

Nice to see more pics of elk country.  My cousin and her husband were in today from Colorado, so I won't get out again until next Saturday.  I hope you guys get right back into them.

Bill, if you grab an arrow before you grab your camera next time you can get the bear to stop moving long enough to take all the pictures you want   :bigsmyl:  

Stan

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »
Are those pack goats or mini mobile elk decoys?

CK, I just saw that pic of Mr. Sniffles back on page 23.  All I can say is  :eek:
WWJD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©