3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone wolf or summit  (Read 1049 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone wolf or summit
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Hello guys, what are your thoughts.

Mine first, here goes.

I love a climber/ easy to use, quite and easy to pack in.  

I love the Lone Wolf hand climber because of the previously mentioned. The only thing I don't like about it is, when standing to take a shot, the seat sometimes gets in my way, it wont fold up.   Plus the seat is pretty hard and hurts after a while... Is there another climber that has a platform that is really quite, easy to pack and use, and has a better seat that folds up or slides out of the way??? And of course SAFE?   Thanks
Blessings,
Steve

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone wolf or summit
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:20:00 AM »
I bought a lone wolf sit and climb this year.  The whole time packing the stand in, setting it up and climbing with it all I could think of is:  man is this stand awesome.  Then I tried to sit in it for a couple of hours.  I thought this was the most uncomfortable stand I've ever had.  In fact, I returned it.  Now I guess I'll keep using my Summit til I find something better.  

The Summit is pretty comfortable, but is kinda bulky packing in (doesn't fold flat) and a little noisier setting up, but at least I can sit in it for some time.  I'm actually starting to gravitate towards ground hunting...Mike

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
I own quite a few LW stands,and both models of the climbers.For quick evening hunts on WMA land,or in a place I don't have a LW Alpha Loc-On I prefer the hand climber model.I have a bad back,and can only take a few hours in just about any stand.

I use the sit and climb model LW hunting certain spots where leaving a loc-on isn't smart.To make it ALOT more comfortable,I bought the Summit replacement seat(sold in Cabeles)and have to say that it is MUCH more comfortable than the sling seat that comes with the LW.It only takes a few minutes to swap out,but makes a huge difference.I can double my time in stand using the Summit replacement seat.It is basically the same as the LW seat,but with about twice the cushioning.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
I have 2 Summit stands which I love till I got the LW sit & climb. At first I had a hard time getting used to it, but have since learned to love it too. It has a sling style seat which I think is pretty comfy. I was leary of the LW hand climber just for the fact the seat didn't look like I could sit in it very long.

Never had any comfort problems in either stand.

Brutus

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
I owned the handclimber and the sit and climb and sold them both. They were the quietest, best packing and climbing stands but it was like torture to sit in them.

You do know about the trick (flip up) you can do for the hand climber seat?

I have not found the stand you and I are looking for. I tried the Loggy Bayou Stalker and it is comfortable but carrying it and climbing with it are lacking compared to the LW.

The Summit Open Shot looks promising but the seat does not flip up.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
What is the trick (flip up) you speak of?
Blessings,
Steve

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Guys,
I have two Vipers, one has the old seat, one the new seat. The old seat is a cloth covered blow up air cushion, even though I never put air in mine. So basically it is a sling type seat. What I like about it is that when I stand for a shot I simply push it back out of the way. It simply slides back toward the tree. I can even wad it up against the tree almost like a paper bag. The new seat is thick foam, warmer and more comfy, but does get in the way a little more. You can still slide it back against the tree, but the foam will not collapse like my older cloth covered seat. Sometimes you can feel the seat against the back of your legs when you are standing.

Never tried a LW, but I know lots like them. I really do love the overall performance of my Viper. I feel it is one of the lightest, most comfortable stands on the market. I also feel very safe in a Viper with the rail completely enclosing you while you are in the tree. During bow season I simply put the top part a little lower so the rail is out of the way of my lower bow limb. A Viper grips the tree like no other stand I have ever used. Have trouble getting down on rough barked tress sometimes !

The one great weakness of a Viper is trying to shoot out the back of one. Cost me the buck of a lifetime a few years back. If the deer is less than 10 yds directly behind a Viper you cannot shoot for the upright portion of the rail that holds the cable that connects to the tree. Lower bow limb will hit the stand. I could not even get to full draw. Every time I tried to extend my bow arm the stand was in the way !!!

A good friend showed me the tree saddle and I am trying it now. I do not think it is as comfortable or ever will be as a stand, but has lots more benefits I think ? One is 360 degree shots and hiding from the deer on the offside of the tree. Jury is still out for now ?

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
You use the bunjee cord to hold the seat portion to the tree which allows you to flip up the seat. Obviously you cannot use the stabilizer straps when doing it this way. It used to be in the manual but I just checked the new manual and it is not there.

I know one the folks on here has a picture of the setup. Anybody?

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
regardless of what you use, check them over regularly or you might end up with something like this...

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
I have a Summit Broadhead Backpacker, and a LW sit-n-climb. I like them both and too be honest you can not go wrong with either.

I will say the Summit has a better seat, and I ended up putting one on the LW.

As for climbing the LW is a little easier than the Summit.

Comfort and room goes to the Summit.

Shooting cleareance is about equal IMO.

Weight and packability goes to the LW.

Noise is not a issue with either stand.

All in all I would say the stands are pretty equal and if you can find some buddies that have both see if you can try them out.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Chris

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
I used LW for several years. I'd use em and sell em cuz they were uncomfortable. Got a Summit Viper this year after I could not locate a LW. I'll never go back to a LW climber. First stand I ever felt safe and comfy enuf to sleep in. A little heavier bulkier than LW but I only carry it till I go up a tree then the only thing that matters in the comfort. I have no problem shooting 66" longbows outta this one.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
I love my lone wolf......I've had it since it was a v-bar stand....then when they came out with the rubber strap ,I got a conversion kit and it's still in use, killed a ton of deer out of it. No other stand packs as easy! For me that's real important. I find the seat plenty comfy.

I use mine the old way with the bungee holding the hand climber in place.....that way it easily flips up out of the way.

I'm looking for a good deal on another....one with the newer longer platform....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
I sold my summit for a lone wolf sit n climb.  I wouldn't go back.  I HATED the loud thunk-thunk-thunk the tubes made when sliding the cable in, and forget it if anything happened to whack up against a tube (like with hauling up you bow or pack), was a  pain to pack in-set up, but loved the comfort.

the LW is super easy to pack (including hooking a pack to it), its easy to set-up/breakdown and climb and by far the most quiet stand out there.   its rock solid too if you use the stabil-straps.   I also put a new seat on it.  I wouldn't go back to a summit even if they paid me (well...maybe if they paid me:)  )

My ONLY complaint about the sitnclimb is the narrowness of the frame.  sometimes its hard to get my fat-a$$ into the seat    :)     wish they'd make it a bit wider-that would go a long way to enhance the comfort.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
I love my Summit Viper.  I also like the way it does not fold flat because it provides a little area that my day bag attaches and the whole thing is one unit.

I also like the cable system.  I think it is the best out there.  The rapid strap things make getting boots into the base a breeze and it climbs well.  

I would not trade my Summit for anything else.  I think it is the best value on the market for the money.
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
I give my vote to the LW sit and climb.   I bought the replacement seat from LW for about $40.  Only took a little while to convert the sling seat.  Nice and comfy now.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
So on the "Hand Climber" from Lone Wolf, if you strap the bungee to the seat, when you go to stand up ,Isn't it going to draw the seat back against the tree so fast it would alert the deer to run?  Or do you just hold it while you stand an allow it to ease against the tree!
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
I had both and sold the Summit. I found the S easier to climb with and more comfortable but I love how quietly the LW sets up, and the greater compactness and portability. The S was always catching on tree branches as I hiked through and I would always bang one of the cable drums as I was pulling it out.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
Steve, I have the sit and climb and really don't think I will ever own anything but a LW.  That being said, when you stand up with a sit/climb the seat just quietly slides back out of the way.  My hunting buddy has the hand climber and swears by it.  After sitting in him for a few minutes, it's alot more comfortable that it looks.  I think the LW-Alpha is one of the most comfortable stand I have ever set in including Ol'man, Summits, and Loggy Bayou's.  But if I bought another one I don't know if I wouldn't go with the hand climber.  Either way I don't think you'll go wrong.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
I sold my LW's and have a API and a Summit now. Both the Summit and the API are a bit heavier/bulkier then the LW but are much more comfortable to sit in. Bad disc in the L5 makes sitting still, for any extended period, a real pain.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
I've got some titainium pins and srews in my lower back, not to mention three of four deteriated disk's, arther's got me good to, so i think i'll stick to my summit razor and my api climber.
I was thinking about getting a lone wolf sit and climb, but now that i've read this thread i think i'll keep what i have.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©