3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selway (Leather,) quivers and "Rain"...  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Donnie

• Trad Bowhunter
Selway (Leather,) quivers and "Rain"...
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
I was just curious if any of you had any experience with leather hooded quivers in the rain.  (Like the Selway, or the Boa.)

When I say "Rain"... I'm talking about a constant... non stop... totally soaked... clear to the bone kind of rain.  And... I'm talking about the whole season like this.  (Pacific Northwest Rainforest kind of rain.)  What I'm curious about is how they hold up being constantly wet.  

Are they treated with anything?... or do you have to treat them yourself.  Do they last?  Or... should I just try and find a quiver made of plastic...

Take care!

Donnie

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selway (Leather,) quivers and "Rain"...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Get the Soft-Kote!!!!! I had a leather one several years ago and after constant soaking over a VERY rainy weekend the hood looked like a soggy dog chew!!!!! BTW.....I also discovered the hood was getting wet from the INSIDE also!!!!! (under the hood foam)

The Soft-Kote is a little heavier,and does not look as "cool", but it is cheaper and more durable,making it the "better buy" IMHO.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Yeah, what Chuck said. I believe the Selway would be a bit better than the Boa. If ya treat themand waterproof them yourself they may be OK, but leather is leather, go with the soft cote in either model. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
I think they dip them (Selways)in a varnish or something like that, which provides some protection.  About 15 years ago, I put one through two weeks of almost constant rain in Alaska.  It got soft, but with the foam in it, kept its shape.  When I got it back home, I blocked it to the shape I wanted and let it dry.  Then I gave it a few coats of spray varnish.  As good as new, but with a somewhat grizzled look.  I've since given that one to my brother and he's still using it. Also had them out in a day or so or rain which didn't seem to affect them at all.

Offline Donnie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  What about vibration and or noise?  Just looking at the pictures doesn't tell me a whole lot... but the overall design appears that it would lend itself to being quiet.  

I found a pretty nice looking quiver with a plastic hood for about half the price of a Selway.  Its the identical shape as the Selway... unfortunately its camouflaged.  In my opinion... the Selway look nicer.  

I'm not familiar with the "Soft Kote"... but I will definitely look into it!

Thanks again!   :thumbsup:  

Donnie

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
I really like my non leather boa...it's black and durable as all get out.  Noise has never been an issue and I went with the boa ove the Selway because it is more adjustable for different bows, also I can take it off in the middle of the day should I choose ( the selway removable you can too I guess, and I never have taken it off, but that was one of my criteria when I bought it.)  Bottom line, I whole heartedly recomend the boa, better price, more adjustable, just as durable.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Well since I live in the "(Pacific Northwest Rainforest kind of rain.)" part of western Washington and have a Selway quiver on a couple of bows I'll give you my take on it.

No I've never had the slightest problem in either rain or snow - the wet gloppy kind - with this quiver.  I've even thought about treating them to head off a potential problem, but nothing ever happened so I forgot about it.

What can happen with any quiver is the foam gets wet and rusts your broadheads.  For this I use a rust preventative on them and take them out of the quiver to dry at the end of the day.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
I have 2 of the Selway Soft-Kote slip-on quivers

They come in brown or black and they are very quiet.Actualy I think they absorb vibration from the limbs basicly like a limb-saver does.

The Soft-Kote costs about $45.00
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©