3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006  (Read 41592 times)

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006
« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
WOW,

I haven't checkeed this one in a while, the photo's in here are great.

Congrats to all and good luck in your travels,
brian

Ps Doug, here in the NE corner of the state is been raining all day. I hope you're getting some too!!! take care
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #341 on: September 16, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
WOW, now that's an awesome elk picture, believe I'd camp on that wallow.

It started raining here yesterday afternoon and it's still going this morning, things are looking up. Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »
Happy for you Doug, stay safe....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »
That's good news for all our friends in Montana, and the poor firefighters that have been battling this monster. Hope it pours for days and puts all the fires completely out.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/wtpops/IMG_1761.jpg

Just got back from a trip to Arkansas. Took two nice sows. One 200# and one 140#. The pick is of the 140#

The 200 lbder was shot at about 15 yards at the edge of a water hole, there were about 8 hogs there, most lying down on the bank. But the big old gal was cooling her feet. Everything went just right, picked a spot hit full draw and let it fly. The arrow blew right through the sholder and stuck in the off side shoulder. She hobbled off about ten hards and fell over.
Now the 140 lbder was a different story. I was still hunting down a well defined trail I could hear a hog in the under brush and at about 10 yards i could see a black and white hog walking broad side to me, it was to thick to get a shot, tree in the way then a bunch of twigs then a clear shot but no time to draw then a noise to my left, there staring at me was three rams and a yew, big horns on this one ram but they had my froze(they were about 5 yards away). There was no way to draw on the pig and not get busted by the sheep. So the pig and the sheep walk away.

I continued hunting down the trail i was on for about a 100 yards or so and i hear something comming i get down on one knee and at about 20 yards i see the sow on the same trail im on comming stright at me. I get my bow up and she just keeps comming, she has no idea im there. Then at 2 yards or shorter, some where between 4 to 6 feet she stops dead. I came to full draw just before she stopped. She was bobbing her head right to left trying to see what was blocking the trail (me) Then after being at full graw for about 10 to 15 sec (felt like 30 and i thought i better shoot her or pet her) she took a half step to my right, I picked a spot just in front of the shoulder and let go. It hit just where i was looking she exploded straght up in the air and started to buck like a bull made a 180 and started to walk back down the trail. I was right behind her she would stop every 10 feet or so and look back, the third time she did this she turned broad side to see me i let one fly and it blew right through the rib cage and stuck in an off side rib 5 sec later see fell over

During the skin job i found out the first arrow did the job, it went in at the 3rd rib from the front and stopped at the 2nd rib from the back on the off side. Took out both lungs she would have fell without the second arrow.

Needless to say I had to sit down for about 5 min to stop shaking enough to drag her out of the under brush. It was a great hunt.

This is as close as i have been to a hog and let an arrow go. I have shot one a t about 3 1/2 yards once but this one beats that. I dont think i want to beat this one, This one was close enough.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »
Great job. Sounds pretty exciting. But why does a Coalinga guy have to go all the way to Arkansas for hogs? You are right in the middle of CA hog country. I shot a nice 125lb sow over in Priest Valley up by you last Dec. Gotta get back up there soon.
Congrats,
Norb
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #346 on: September 18, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »
4 kids and 3 grandkids live there I was visting for 10 days and thought I would try to fill there frezers
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #347 on: September 18, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »
Remember a couple pages back...I posted the pic bugling down into the canyon..

I went back..  :bigsmyl:  

My brother and I hiked in to a far off basin that most times holds elk...A nice flat with springs and thick reprod...I killed a bull in there a few years back so we knew about where they usually held up at....We set up and made some herd music....20 minutes later it seemed our long hike was in vain....A big fat ZERO...

We got back together to talk about plan B,which we didn't have, and Ken gave a last cow call at the basin..

Eeeoooww came back at us from the far hillside....Not on the flat at all but above, and we were in a poor position with the wind...

We gathered our stuff to get higher and the wind right when Ken spotted him watching us from across the draw......

Here is where we employed a trick that works very well with elk..We stooped over and walked up the skid road giving the elk a horizontal line of our back...Believe me this works....Walk upright where the elk can see you and a vertical line, they head for the next county...Stoop over giving him a horizontal line similar to every other animal in the woods and 9 times out of 10 he will just watch..

We made cover after about 50 yards and peeked to see what the bull was going to do....He watched for a while longer,turned around and walked back into the reprod from which he came....

Shooting lanes were few,but we found a spot that might work about on the same level as the bull... I set up and Ken was back doing the calling...

For the next hour and a half we had that bull chuckling,grunting,murdering trees and just about everything else a bull can do, except, COME CLOSER!!

He wouldn't budge....Now we tried the ol silent treatment...Gave him nothing in hopes he would get curious and come see what was going on....That didn't work either...

It was starting to get late and it was time to force the issue...I would climb up higher, work out the ridge and drop in on the bull...Ken would give me 20 minutes and start calling again,giving me his location and I would play it by ear..

I worked down trying to find some kind of lane...I found a poor spot,but it was all that was there and I was afraid to drop lower and spook him out...I waited for Ken to start in again....It wasn't long and I heard the fighting cowcall go into action....Immediately a grunt from right below me,probably only 30 yards....I got ready and gave 2 soft chirps with my diaphram....Crack,pop went the brush and I could make out elk legs coming my way....Knees and hooves was all I could see....He was just coming into my lane and I got ready to draw when he stopped and looked around...16 yards and all I could see was head....

TWO MORE STEPS PLEASE!!! LOL

He didn't take those steps...Just stood there forever looking for the cow that he heard..He turned to go back and I chirped again...This is where the elk gods smiled on me...He stopped and all I could see was the hollow spot right above his elbow..One spot on the whole elk about the size of a paper plate and it was the RIGHT spot...I drew,ignored the limbs,focused on that spot and let go...

Wensel Woodsman through the heart,about a forty yard death run and it was all over, except for the pack that is...LOL..It took all day Sunday to get him out of that HOLE...

Going in Sunday we could hear what sounded like a herd bull ...Grunts and groans like you never heard before....We glassed in vain for that herd bull,until we finally figured out it was a SPIKE and a da%^ little spike at that....I hope this guy makes it a couple seasons...I need to get in there and hear what he sounds like after he grows up...LOL

The spike that thought he was king!!

Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #348 on: September 18, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
Great story!  Thanks foe sharing the elk pics.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Alsea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #349 on: September 19, 2006, 01:15:00 AM »
LOL Bill...

He may grow up to be a real stud...he's gettting an early start, thanks to you... :)

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #350 on: September 19, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »
Excellent story, Bill! congrats on a fine animal, and you told it, like I was there with ya!

Awesome, man!  :thumbsup:
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #351 on: September 19, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »
Great stories and picks guys. Very nice animal Bill.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »
Way to go Bill, nice pics too.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #353 on: September 19, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »
Nice elk!  I can vouch for you for walking stooped over......a few years ago I was spring turkey hunting and had to cross a big field to get into posistion.  As I slowly crossed the field, stopping every 15 steps or so, I turned around and had three deer following me!  Needless to say, I did make it across and got my bird, but the deer didn't like me going through my pockets looking for my camera!  I wouldn't do that on public ground in deer season though!
     :knothead:

Offline merciful silence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #354 on: September 22, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
How big do you guys like your hogs , I have to be honest getting this close to this big guy did have me a little rattled

Offline merciful silence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #355 on: September 22, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »
This guy was by far the largest that I have ever seen he was tall thick and heavy living on the Northern Territory flood plains in Australia.

Offline merciful silence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #356 on: September 22, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »
My 78LB Montana Falcon and a 900grn arrow did the trick on this big pig.  

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #357 on: September 22, 2006, 12:08:00 PM »
That's one heck of a hog!  I want to experience that some day.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #358 on: September 22, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »
Simon~

Excellent series of pics! Congrats!

Is that a Robertson?
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #359 on: September 22, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
Wow what a monster hog and very cool pictures.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©