3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006  (Read 41572 times)

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006
« Reply #480 on: October 13, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »
Here is the morning view over my right shoulder from one of my favorite stands. I have always enjoyed this view of the sunrise and this morning finally took a picture of it.

This morning a 6 pointer came from the left of the pix and was about 25 yds. in front of me. I was hoping for a closer shot when I committed a fatal mistake, I had him hanging before I even loosed an arrow and that has never worked before. I was in the stand where I shot my last deer last year and was thinking it would be neat to shoot the first one this year from the same tree. Well the wicked wind betrayed my position and that ended the close encounters of the deer kind this morning.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline SSGA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #481 on: October 13, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

Crispy Chips stalking coming up and it aint even summer!!!

But the sunrises are worth it     :cool:  

SSGA
"Arrows: not just signs by the road"

Offline singlestring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #482 on: October 13, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
Great pics and stories everyone!
60” Slick Stick #50@28”

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #483 on: October 13, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »
Thought I'd post these up on here of a hunt a few weeks back. Plan on getting back here for 7 days at the end of the month. Good R&R time....

Waiting on the Morning rush of Chital deer. But nothing turned up so I moved and well... you guessed it, 1/2 hour later deer walked through where I was sitting. Ahh well.

Drilled this wabbit from 17 out. Rather pround of the shot too. Only my 2nd.

And the "Hero" pic....   :cool:  

Enjoy. From OZ, alan
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline merciful silence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #484 on: October 13, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
Hunting the top end at this time of year is a real contrast the higher ground is rocky escarpment country basically waterless and will dehydrate you in no time.

The plains are flooded with water and grow sweet grass and reeds that the pigs just cant resist.

You can watch them from back in the tree line in the early morning and set up to intercept them on their way back into shade as the day heats up.

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #485 on: October 13, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »
First let me say the few yrs. Ive been on here has been very helpful in my quest w/stick&string.This site has given me gobs of information & helpful tips.This past wednesday I had the afternoon off and decided to run up to my spot.Got up in my tree at 3:15.Sat for about 30 mins. when a 4 ptr. comes down the trail on my left.He passes me and stops at 15 yds.Turns to his left and gives me a shot!!Arrow went in high and thru low in opposite shoulder.He humped up and took off.Got down 10 mins. later just to check the spot at which I shot him.As luck would have it, no blood and it starts to pour!Waited a while and then started to zig-zag in the direction he ran.Well there he was 125 yds from my tree.My 31" CX 300 tipped w/a 140 Magnus 2 bld. took out both lungs.The feeling you get w/stick&string is like nothing else.

BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #486 on: October 13, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
Merciful silence, Wow, if I could just crawl through the screen and join you in getting after those pigs!  Great photos and great story.  Must be heaps of fun!  :thumbsup:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #487 on: October 13, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »
Merciful, those pigs you keep shooting are making me consider becoming a permenant resident down under...  :bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #488 on: October 13, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »
Congratulations on the buck Peter. Nice!!! Man that is some piggy Simon!!!
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #489 on: October 13, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »
This is On my way to my hunting area..
Cumberland River.

Offline merciful silence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #490 on: October 13, 2006, 11:46:00 PM »
Hey well done Nontypical thats a nice buck and a good shot by the sounds of it , you boys are getting amongst the deer this year its great to see all your photos , I just started doing some stand hunting this year , never really trie it before, its great and Im sure I will do a bit more of it.

Offline merciful silence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #491 on: October 14, 2006, 01:48:00 AM »
I don't know how well spread the pigs are in the USA but here in Australia they would be close to the most prolific feral game animal we have , they have adapted to almost every climate here and we do have some diversity , in some areas they are small and wiry in others like the Northern Territory they grow to be very large animals very quickly.

Mobs like these surround the flood plains in the wet and will turn over every inch of ground as the water dries up.

Arnhem land is the home of Australia's traditional owners and to get into this country to hunt requires permits from their council but it sure is worth it , thousands upon thousands of barely touched miles await those keen enough to hunt it and it features scenery that is not found anywhere else in the country.

This is the face on Nimbawa rock , a dreamtime site for the Aboriginals , it faces the coast and has a great deal of cultural significance to the locals.

It is a real honour and privilege to hunt with one of the locals and my Guide Anthony was just amazing at locating game and telling us about the land and its people.

At hunts end each day you are treated to the Red Arafura sea sunsets that are some of the most settling scenes in the world.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #492 on: October 14, 2006, 04:01:00 AM »
Awesome merciful!  Looks like a guy would have to bring lots of arrows when hunting there!  Here in Fiji we have feral pigs, but not in the numbers nor size of the Aussies.  I did some scouting last week and found the tracks of just one pig, and I was thrilled.  Can't hardly imagine the excitement of seeing a pack of porkers that size!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #493 on: October 14, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »
That's it!  I'm putting "pig hunting in Australia" on my to-do list, thanks to Merciful Silence!  Very beautiful country.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #494 on: October 14, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »
Here are a couple of pics from my Pig hunt at Back Bay Va. I hunted the last of 4 days and it showed. 65 pigs were taken the first day between 100 hunters, that dropped to 10 on the last day. I managed to get a stalk on a small doe (but blew it) and saw a couple of horses but no pigs. All in all a good hunt though. Bugs were awfull, I think that I could of sold my Thermacell for a small fortune!
 http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/Adam2698/IMG_0236.jpg
 http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/Adam2698/IMG_0240.jpg
Snakes were bad
 http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/Adam2698/IMG_0238.jpg
This is where I stalked the doe
 http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/Adam2698/IMG_0244.jpg
She was on the way to this pool
 http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/Adam2698/IMG_0243.jpg

I got skunked but it was a good hunt anyway... I may go back and try to hunt standby at the end of Oct. I saw a couple of #100 pigs that the shotgunners got and I was told that a guy on the first day took one at around #250!

Well worth the time for any VA Hunters

Adam

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #495 on: October 14, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »
I will try again on the picks
Here are a couple of pics from my Pig hunt at Back Bay Va. I hunted the last of 4 days and it showed. 65 pigs were taken the first day between 100 hunters, that dropped to 10 on the last day. I managed to get a stalk on a small doe (but blew it) and saw a couple of horses but no pigs. All in all a good hunt though. Bugs were awfull, I think that I could of sold my Thermacell for a small fortune!

Snakes were bad

This is where I stalked the doe

She was on the way to this pool

I got skunked but it was a good hunt anyway... I may go back and try to hunt standby at the end of Oct. I saw a couple of #100 pigs that the shotgunners got and I was told that a guy on the first day took one at around #250!

Well worth the time for any VA Hunters

Adam

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #496 on: October 14, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
Just taking note of the little things other seem to miss whilst wearing blinkers. You know the type.........

In Oz, alan
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #497 on: October 14, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
Aussie that looks just like what we had in the sandhills of Nebraska. Called a prairie poppy here.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #498 on: October 14, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
Ben, not real sure what it's called here but a nie looker of a flower for what seems like a weed.

Might be good Elk food?

In Oz, al

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #499 on: October 14, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
Kind of looks like Bull Nettle. It grows in Texas and will sting the heck out of ya if you touch it.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©