3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006  (Read 41569 times)

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006
« Reply #540 on: October 19, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »
Love the pics and congrats to those that have tasted success so far this year!!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #541 on: October 19, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
Kudos to all who have harvested game since my last post. I've only been out twice. Hope tomorrow will be a good one for me.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #542 on: October 19, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »
Six pigs down here is two pics, Mine a 125# sow
  http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/wtpops/IMG_1785.jpg  
and Wendel's 175# to 200# boar with 2 1/2" teeth
  http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/wtpops/IMG_1787.jpg  

Stories to come later, got to get to bed still have one more day to hunt and one more pig to stick.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #543 on: October 19, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »
Well guys im home resting my legs ( they hurt ) more om that later.
Total hogs taken Six One was recovered this morning. Here is a pic of her ( archer was Armon )

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/wtpops/IMG_1789.jpg

Well First we will start with answer to all the questions, Larry at Hogs Wild runs a top notch operation, the archery only area is 640 acers fenced, Nine hunters in camp six hogs taken, this is by NO MEANS A CANED HUNT ( again my legs hurt ) you will earn every pound of pork you take home. If you book a hunt here hit the stair master a month in advance. It is some rough country but huntable.

Ok time for stories on the first day im working the face of the back ridge on the property must have seen forty of fifty hogs that day had three close enough for shots but no time to get to full draw. One big boar ( i say big because of his teeth, his body size was about 140# to 150# but he had about 3" sticking out of his mouth. He came over a noll and we met fase to face at about 15 yards, he scared me more than i scared him and zip he was gone.

Looked up at the crest of this shale hillside and saw a huge boar, I just had to try for him (my legs hurt ). Made it to the top and i always stop and get my breath and relax before i go over the top, well this time i didnt and there i was 10 yards face to face with two black boars of course i was to winded to do anything and off they went. I went over the crest about 15 yards and sat down to rest and jumped a big sow she ran off and left 8 football sized pigglets they played around me for 45 min or so they even came down the trail i was on and one bumped into the limb of my bow before it saw me and ran off. Buy now its getting close to the end of the day so i worked my way back to camp.

Day two, I worked my way around the face of this hill sit down and found myself right in the middle of a huge bedding area, i plant myself and wait. Did not have to wait long from about 7:00 to 2:00 i must of had 30 or 40 hogs around me some were comming up some going down some side hilling above me then below me. Between 7:00 and 11:00 i had been at full draw 4 times but just could not get a shot off branchs here then there. Then about 1:00 i had a good looking sow stopped on a trail below me, I had to get on my nees bend at the waste to where my string hand was almost on the ground to get a clear shot and let it go zap killed a big rock just under her chest.

About 20 min later a big blond boar with black spots, this was a nice looking boar, came charging up the hill past by me at about 10 yards and dang could not get a shot off. 3 min later he came running around the noll and right in front of me at 12 yards. I had just enough time to get to full draw and zip killed my second rock just under his chest.

Now its about 2:00 or so and ive been at full draw 6 times could not let go four times, killed two rocks and two broad heads. I hear somthing comming and a black sow comes running down the same trail as the boar i just missed, i get to full draw and bam right in front of the shoulder and through the shoulder on the off side as she runs off i see a big red spot and fletch on one side and the broad head out the other, YES i finely got my bow arm up, drilled her. She made it about 80 yards or so. Armon herd the shot and help me find her and drag her out, ( hes taking home a back strap )

One heck of a day

Now off to Choppers place in December for some more action.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #544 on: October 20, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »
Sounds like fun and boy those are some big choppers on Wendel's boar.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #545 on: October 21, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
Got some hard horn pics of a couple of goodn's, thought you guys would enjoy!!

Big bodied 8...

sniffin that clean air...

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #546 on: October 21, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »
I haven't slept a wink since getting this picture....self explanatory!!!

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #547 on: October 21, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »
I sure enjoy the pics & stories everyone.  Gives me something to do since I had cataract surgery last Monday and am not supposed to do any bow bending for a couple of weeks.

I'll get out & do some hunting with my camera and see if I can add any pictures this coming week.

Dennis

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #548 on: October 21, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
Fireman, that buck looks less like a buck and more like a bull. Maybe you can get him close to ya' by hanging a strip of red cloth beneath your stand...  :bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #549 on: October 21, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »
Brad,that is a really cool rack.Hope you can get him!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #550 on: October 21, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »
Check the time on that big boy's picture.

Bet he's mostly nocturnal, and that is why he is, who he is!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #551 on: October 21, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Osagetree:
Check the time on that big boy's picture.

Bet he's mostly nocturnal, and that is why he is, who he is!
EXACTLY....all the pics I have of him, from june, july, august, sept, and now october, are all during the dead of night...I have 3 pics of him from last yr, in the daylite...I haven't slept a wink since I got this picture....lol

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #552 on: October 22, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »
This is why they call it hunt'n and not kill'n.

Windy today as all get out! It was already good and daylight when I got down in the hollow I was going to hunt. I walked a haul road in and at a "Y" intersection I turned towards my intended spot. One step around the corner and I see two racks heading toward me. I'm in the wide open, so I back up a couple steps and back up against a multi-floral rose bush.

It seemed like an hour but was only about 1 minute before the first buck rounds the bend. A small eight pointer or six pointer,,, I was trying not to look at the rack!...

Just my luck he turns towards me instead of heading out the other road. He was 4 paces away and quartering towards me. He spotted me, but he was not sure what I was, but he wasn't staying to find out, and then he turned and trotted back past the other buck. They stood together, looking back down the road about 35 yrds away. A few minutes later they both hit the woods and went up the hill face's into the wind. It was four paces away and could not get a shot.... that's hunt'n!

I usually tree stand hunt, but today I was heading for a dead fall with my three legged folding stool to hunt from the cover of the deadfall. I climbed through the dead falls limbs looking for the best spot to sit. before I could get my stool off my belt, I spotted a spike 30 yrds out heading my direction. I kneeled on the ground and readied myself raising my selfbow. This is it, I though to myself,,, just as I got to full draw he looked right at me,, ten paces away! I released and the darn thing jumped the string and the arrow just grazed its back and the hair flew. Straight down over the hill and acrossed the hollow he went,,, that's hunt'n!

I like this spot at the dead fall and have never taken a deer from the ground with a bow. So after missing the spike, I spent some time making the deadfall into a blind by using brush and dead tree limbs.

I decided to cross back over the hollow and see if I could walk out this knife ridge thicket and spot something before it spotted me. There is large cow pasture's on each side of this ridge.

It was really windy and I figured most deer would be bedded, hopefully in the thicket out that ridge.

As I crossed the hollow I found where the spike I had grazed earlier had stopped. I must have gotten a little more than hair.  I found some blood and a few more spots as he walked off again. It petered out qiuckly and I soon lost any trail. This little buck will be fine as frog hair and a little smarter from now on,,, I'm sure!

That's hunt'n!

Finally at the ridge, I stalked slowly using the wind to hide my movements and sound. Toward the end of the ridge, I started getting discouraged and just had given up when I walked a few paces at normal speed.

I took this pic. I never seen a turtle sleeping with its head out of the shell....

Then I took two more steps and up jumps the devil,,, a monster buck and 4 does running out of the thicket 20 yrds away and out and down the hill through the wide open cow pasture,,,, That's hunt'n!

I had had enough,,, and walked out into the pasture for an easy walk back to the Jeep. As I walked toward the woodline, I spot some turkeys about 150 yrds ahead and out in the pasture. My heart starts beating and I set up in a clump of brush in hopes they would keep heading my direction.

Half way to me they turn left and into the woodline,,, That's hunt'n

My digital camera is fairly cheap and you can't hardly make out the turkeys in this picture at 150yrds,,, but that's my luck this year.

As I head toward the jeep, I slow down at a thicket that I sometimes jump deer in. Again just as I give up on the still hunting a four pointer jumps up and snorts as he heads south over a steep bench on the hillside,,, that's hunt'n!

Regardless of the mishaps, I really enjoyed the morning that lasted until 1:00pm,,, THAT'S HUNT'N!

:archer:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline SSGA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #553 on: October 23, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »
Great read, you should have submitted as a short article in a trad bow mag??

Cheers

SSGA
"Arrows: not just signs by the road"

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #554 on: October 23, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

Finally had an oppertunity to take a deer on the ground Saturday morning.  Had 3 deer come in to where I was sitting about 9 am in the morning.  The all proceeded to bed down right in front of me.  As luck would have it, I had placed a large cherry tree between myself and where they were bedded so I could move to my knees and draw my bow without being seen.  After peeking around the tree for a half hour and deciding which one I should take since they were all laying in different positions.  This one gave the best shot and only made it about 40 yards after being shot and piled up within sight.  Pretty good feeling when you see them go down.  Definately hooked on ground hunting. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #555 on: October 23, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »
That is great. Tryed ground hunting for two weeks never came togeather. Great job!
greg ketchum

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #556 on: October 23, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »
This morning I got in the tree where I have shot many deer, 2 last year. I was sitting down when a deer came from my right about 10 min. after legal light, I managed to get up and turned to my right, got my bow and waited for him to pass behind the tree so I could maybe get a shot. I waited and waited and waited, finally I eased around and he was feeding on my right side. I managed to get turned all the way around to my right with out him knowing and waited for a shot. He was about 7 yds. when he turned broadside and I shot. I thought my shot was at the point of the shoulder and low. I could see him in his run for about 100 yds. and he showed no signs of faltering. I thought I should wait awhile before going check, I had to wait longer than I wanted to because 4 more deer came in and fed for awhile. Finally after an hour I was able to get down to check. No arrow but there was blood where he had been standing. Found broadhead half of arrow at 50 yds. and fletch half at about 100yds. Then there was a big spot of blood and I could see he made a hard left then no more blood. I was in an area that is full of multiflora roses and kept looking and finally found him in the direction he had last taken about 60 yds. from where I lost the blood. I hit further back and higher than I had thought, there was no cuts in the lungs, liver, heart, or stomach. I must have caught a major artery as he was full of blood. I back tracked the blood trail and don't know how I lost it. I call him "goofy horn". The spike side was broken at one time but came back and the left side has 2 spikes comming out of the base.
Jack

PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #557 on: October 23, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »
Oh yeah I for got. 56# Robertson Peregrine, 622 grain larch arrow tipped with a 145 grain Journeyman head.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #558 on: October 23, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »
Great stuff guys.........BUT!!!!!

I wish you guys would also take the time to post these hero pics on the Highlights 2006 Forum!!!!....

There's been more game taken this  year and posted on Trad Gang than ever....yet the Highlights Forum is not getting any posts.

Please take a moment to post a pic.....

Here....I'll make it easy...here's a hyper link...no need to type a huge story...just a pic...and if you like, the bow, head, etc....

Highlights 2006 Forum
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #559 on: October 24, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »
I would like to share some pics and thoughts  of my Monday afternoon hunt.This is my second year hunting with a recurve and I have also been in a deer drought for 3 years.I have been suffering some confidence issues with my curve so when my buddie offered me use of his old bow with training wheels I took him up on it.What a mistake the first and only time I took it out I shot the biggest buck of my life @ 8 yards from a natural ground blind.I am not telling you this to brag but to explain how I feel about it,you see I could of had that buck with my curve and it got me to realize that its not the game taken but the challenge involved in getting it.So after feeling that I let myself down somehow I swore that I would slow down drink it all in and persue deer at my own pace,not going to worry about get in er done or filling the freezer.It almost feels like an awakening or rebirth and I am sticking to my curve even if it means not filling any more tags this year.pics to follow.By the way the non trad deer was taken 2 weeks ago.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©