3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006  (Read 41657 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
I was given permision to hunt this 'lease' with my longbow for hogs for free till the lease renewal comes up at the end of summer.  Kind of a test period.  I'd hunted this paper company land years ago while in highschool...and it was covered up with deer then.

The land was sold to some private individuals several years ago....and I had no idea what all they had done to the property.   There's about 3,000 acres and its less than 30 minutes from my house.

I'm kinda exited let me tell ya....I wasn't expecting this.....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »
DANG!!!  I'm green with envy.  That looks like some prime huntin' territory there.  Have fun!!

Dennis

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »
Great photos and a great looking spot too Terry.  How has it changed since you last hunted it?

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline headknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »
Here's a pic of my only bird this spring......

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/spclays1/100_1864.jpg
"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2006, 02:02:00 PM »
David,

It was all woods last time I hunted it....now there's clearings, dead end food plots, meadows, and some really pretty views.....and a pretty good sized lake going in.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
Terry, that is some awesome looking country. did you see many deer? damn, i didt know georgia looked like that

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »
Gee whiz Terry, that place screams HUGE deer! Put in a few food plots and call the butcher!
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »
Huntrdfk:  great stuff with the kids

Terry, good lookin site.  How many years ago did they cut it? 10 or so, I am guessing by the size of the loblollys in the pic's.  Looks like they cleaned the decks, slash and really worked on it.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »
I've been off that property for about 20 years...and yes, a lot of it has been cut.

I want to get back over there pretty soon and do more than ride.  There's 14 miles of roads on the property and I didn't ride them all......maybe I'll get back this weekend.

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2006, 04:11:00 AM »
Well I took my new Ambush bow for her first hunt today.

I decided to hunt a thick valley to se if the short bow was gonna really give me advantages compared to my usual longbows.

I entered the valley, and after a little while got to my favorite natural blind, hunged out for a wile, saw nothing, so I sneeked around for a bit, the wind was hitting every cardinal point at least every 1/2 hour, so I knew it was going to be a tougth day.

on the way back I stopped at my blind once more,...nothing.

I decided to call it a day, as I'm crawling thru a tunnel, I spot a pig coming my way fast on a crossing trail, the one time I didn't have an arrow on the string   :knothead:   by the time I got the arrow nocked it was upon me an I got busted....well there's always tomorrow   :bigsmyl:

that Banyon tree is my favorite blind

"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2006, 04:15:00 AM »
the views from the blind

"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2006, 04:22:00 AM »
ready for action, but no arrows loosed

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2006, 04:24:00 AM »
some more shots of this challenging area

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2006, 04:28:00 AM »
the tunnel I got busted in

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2006, 04:59:00 AM »
Dang Manny,

That looks almost as bad as the stuff here on Guam.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »
Man Manny, that sure does bring back a lot of memories and make me miss hunting there. Were the mosquitoes bad back in the thick stuff this year? Good looking bow there stud!
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2006, 09:40:00 PM »
Yeah....cool pics Manny!

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »
Nice pics Manny!

Tarzz, That place just looks awesome. Can't wait to hear what kind of bucks are roaming the area.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »
Are you on the Big Island Manny?  That looks like some fun country to hunt to me.  Great pics.
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2006, 02:08:00 AM »
Bear hunt #1 '06

My spring gobbler hunting has been frustrating at best.  So I was more then happy to shift gears this weekend when my best friend Dave asked me if I wanted to go bear hunting (he really should know better then to have to ask!).  So plans were made.  There was a patch of dark forest with some green meadows up above that require some hiking in to get to that I know Dave has wanted to hunt for over a year.  We decided that was to be our destination.  Sadly it won’t happen as when we got near we discovered that Warehouser is logging in or around it, and they are not letting anyone in there right now.  Apparently we are anyone.  So after a quick discussion we decided to head to where Dave had seen the most bear sign in the scouting he did two days before.  So off we drove for another hour to what we now have nicknamed “Big Bear Canyon”.  
   We arrived at about 4:30pm.  When we got there it was overcast and drizzling.  Perfect weather I guessed to keep bears up and moving through out the day.  I knew we would be hunting till dark, so we set up camp right away.  Threw up the tent and sleeping stuff.  We put on our camo., grabbed our bows and off we went.  We hiked in to the old skidder road.  We were real quiet the whole way there.  We then started up the skidder road and came across several bunches of bear scat.  Dave went to check his monitoring camera he set up, and I went to our blind.  It consisted of a raised shelf just off to one side of the skidder road.  Dave came back and told me that there were thirty-five pictures taken.  We would have to wait till we got back home to see what there were of though.  I checked my watch; it was 6:00 on the dot.  
   We did the waiting game sitting still and not talking.  I looked over to my left down the skid road and there he was, a large and very beautiful black bear.  He was in the black color phase with a rich brown snout.  He was fifty yards out from us.  It took my brain a half second to register what my eyes were seeing.  When it did all I could think was “bear.”  I wasn’t shocked, or afraid.  Just this all-encompassing focus.  Nothing else existed except for that bear.  I finely quietly said, “bear” to Dave.  Dave, being a veteran bear hunter looked over and then gave me a thumbs up.  I thought for sure that bear would mosey on down the road to us, giving me a 15-20 yard shot.  He started our way after taking a big long and slow sniff of the air.  The wind was in our favor and he had no clue.  Then he walked off the road into an old clear-cut.  We couldn’t hear him then, and there were to many trees for us to maintain eye contact.  Turns out the bear circled around us, caught our wind and took outa there like he had seen the devil himself.  I looked at my watch and it said 6:33pm.  
   We saw nothing on Sunday morning.  We did get to do a lot of scouting and exploring and found a few other spots that might be worth a still hunt.  Then Sunday night, as we were walking back to the truck and not being very disciplined we spooked out an extremely large bear.  It was a good reminder that your not done hunting until your truck hits pavement.  
    I had a total blast on this hunt.  I learned a lot, and got to see some big bears.  Not as close as I wanted to see them, but hey for a guy whose just cutting his teeth on bears not bad at all.  I have to give a lot of thanks to my buddy Dave for doing the scouting for us and finding this place we now call “Big Bear Canyon”.  We are making plans to go back on the 12th, 13th, and 14th of this month.   I can hardly wait!
Here are some pictures I hope you enjoy them. =)  
Derek

Here's one of my best friend Dave!

and one more of me...

got arrows?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©