3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006  (Read 41559 times)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006
« Reply #640 on: November 07, 2006, 08:16:00 PM »
Sunday morning, 11/5/06 @ 4:30am I woke up the wife to find she was not feeling well, and that meant I was on my own for the morning hunt.

I was in the stand, just as it was breaking daylight. 45 degrees and the rut was on. A good morning to be in the stand.

No sooner than I got myself settled in I heard a crash up above me on the hillside,,, very thick in there.

I spy a large doe running straight down the hill and she blew past my stand before I could grab my bow...

I knew she was being chased by something, so I stood and grabbed olde "Two Snakes" with a firm grip, and knocked my best flying rivercane arrow that happens to be tipped with one of "Knife Rivers" flint tips.

Here he comes nose to the ground and moving pretty fast down the same trail the doe was on. If he keeps coming he'll be about 15 yards from the base of my tree. Sure enough he come trotting by and I give him the olde "MAaa" with my mouth, and he stops dead in his tracks. by this time I'm at half draw and I pull back to deliver the shot.

Dang it,,,, just as I release he bolts off after the doe.... To late, I have released and the arrow strikes him in the rear end about where the hip joint is.

I knew this was not too good and I sat down cusing my luck,,,, again. I watched as he ran out towards a cow pasture that is about 100 yards away, and then I lost sight of him.

I waited until 10:30am before I climbed down. I saw a coyote come accross the hollow and I was afraid if the buck had bedded the coyote would jump him up. So, I got down and started looking at the area where I had shot him. My hopes were that I had hit the femerul artery located in the rear haunch. If so,, he'd bleed out in no time.

No blood on the ground at the point of impact, but a large clump of brown/grey hair. I new the arrow sunk in deep as I could see it sticking out as he ran towards the fence line of the pasture.

My hopes dwendled after about 50 yrds with no sign of blood. I though to myself,,, I've done this before and still hunted to the wounded animal and finished'em off with a follow up shot.
It was my only hope, so I started the still hunt in the direction of the buck’s departure.

Then I saw a couple small specks of blood. I continued on to find more and thicker blood at about 75yrds.

My hopes started to raise a bit... Then more and more blood. I thought to myself,,, If he jumps the fence and hits the tall grass in the pasture, I may loose the trail.

Here at about 50 yards from the fence, I find a bed, but I was not sure he'd laid there or run over another deer's bed. After that the blood turned very spotty and I was getting concerned again.

At the fence line, I lost the trail for a while and had to search pretty hard before finding a few small spots of blood that told me he did not jump the fence but followed the fence line up the hill,,, Not a a good sign at this point.

I continued on to the top of the ridge. there I stopped and glassed the thicket in the hollow in the bottom of the other side of the ridge. Just as I gave up and stood up to take a pee,,, I hear something in the bottom. Dang it,,, there he is trotting out of the thicket and on to a small haul road. I gave it another half an hour and still hunted to the thicket to find his bed with no blood.

I was getting sick by now!

I slowly worked my way to the haul road and as I peak around the bend I see him standing with his back to me, and he is looking the other way.
I figure, dang he's hurt bad or he'd be long gone.

I'm 36 or 38 yards away and I don't want to take a "Hail Marry" at his buttocks,,, so I snap a picture.
Note the small log at the bottom of the picture frame. I think if I can get across that log without spooking him I'll be about 30 yards away and I'm taking that hail marry shot.

Well, I sneak over the log and he is still there as I decide to snap this picture

As I draw back olde Two Snakes,, I feel the wind change and it's blowing up my back and straight at him. He ain't standing for that and off he trots,, kinda awkwardly.

I gave him a few minutes after he trotted off, and just for curiosity, I picked out a leaf on the ground where he had been standing just to see if I could have hit him as I had intended with the hail marry I was about to take. I only missed the leaf by an couple inches. I probably would have stuck him again, but to late at this point, he was gone again.

When I got to where he was standing there was only a small puddle of blood, but I had gone close to 400 yards already and I was not giving up yet. I knew he was heading for the open woods and if I speeded it up a bit I may see him crossing the next hollow. Sure enough, there he was stopped again in the open woods,,, he looked ill.

I tried to move in on him again, but the wind was in his favor and he walked to a barbed wire fence line and crawled under the fence. he was heading towards a small thicket and I thought if I backed off he may bed there and bleed out.

I left for home and got me a bite to eat. The wife was feeling better by 2:00pm and I told her she could sit in the stand while I looked for my deer. The incentive for her was I might run something past her while looking for my wounded deer/buck. So she agreed to go back with me.

When we pulled into the farm,,, the land owners Son's truck was there and I knew he had come to hunt. Not wanting to mess up his hunt looking for my deer I decided to hunt with the wife in a double stand we had place earlier in the year.

I hate to admit this, but while we hunted that stand, we had a huge ten point come by at 20yrds,,, Well, unbelievably we both go shots at it and we both missed it. My shot was a clean miss by an inch under the vital area and her shot hit a limb that sent both the buck and her arrow flying way up into the air.

At dark we headed for the jeep. We ran into the land owners son as he came in on his ATV. He stopped and asked me if I shot flint tipped arrows with that funny looking bow I was carrying. I said it is a selfbow and I shoot rivercane and flint arrows.... He then handed me the arrow I shot the buck with that morning and said,,, your buck is laying about 50 yards the otherside of the barbed wire fence. I was elated and then he offered to help me go get it.

Well that is how it all came together. And with all the up's down's and up's again that day,,, it's one day I wont soon forget.

See the entire build along of the gear used to harvest this ohio buck in the Pow Wow section under the title "Home Grown Hunting Equipment for 2006/07"
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #641 on: November 07, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »
Congrats Osage!

Awesome story and just goes to show you that you should never give up.

In a way it was probally a good thing you pushed the deer a little as you made him keep bleeding.

Congrats again!
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline RT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #642 on: November 07, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »
great storey, and congratulate to you success.........
RT

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #643 on: November 07, 2006, 10:16:00 PM »
Great story! Great harvest!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #644 on: November 07, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »
Almost forgot! Good job Claudia!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Hoser1268

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #645 on: November 07, 2006, 10:53:00 PM »
Great story.  Congrats on finding your buck.
54" Morrison Cheyenne Longbow 42@26
54" Morrison Cheyenne Recurve 46@26
54" Rocky Mt. Recurve  52@28
50" Sierra Blanca Recurve 44@26
52" Sierra Blanca Recurve 50@26

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #646 on: November 08, 2006, 07:02:00 AM »
Great story with a fantastic ending!  Congratulations on a really neat looking buck!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #647 on: November 08, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »
I think this gets the "thread of the year" hands down.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #648 on: November 09, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »
Osagetree, I am glad to see the end to the build along..just great.

and

Claudia, as always, thanks for sharing.

RayMO

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #649 on: November 09, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
Yes Sir, that was awesome!

Offline ky_longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #650 on: November 09, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »
osagetree-
great story and congrats on a fine buck!
  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
if your not living on the edge,your taking up too much room!!
MEMBER-K.T.B.A.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #651 on: November 09, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
My sons public ground buck from NE,he called and said he got a lil 8pt,when I got the pics,I thought it was a pretty nice 8pt. He called me at work last week to ask about treestands,bought one,hung it in the right spot(evidently),and proceeded to take this nice deer a few days later!!

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #652 on: November 10, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
I agree with you, Kenny.  That is a very nice buck!  Congrats to your son   :clapper:  

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #653 on: November 10, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »
Quiet morning, beautiful morning in the mountains....pic below....

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #654 on: November 10, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
The river sure looks beautiful from up there Joe
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #655 on: November 11, 2006, 10:03:00 AM »
Congrats on the deer.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #656 on: November 11, 2006, 07:42:00 PM »
Another day in another part of the Mtns with Jan Brown...rougher area and higher. Seen one nice big 4 pt but this is a QDM area...some pics...

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #657 on: November 11, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
Story tomorrow. Sleep tonight. But here's how my day went.

TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline wango

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #658 on: November 12, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »
Nice buck .
TGMM  Brotherhood  of  the  Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #659 on: November 12, 2006, 01:25:00 AM »
My hat's off to the deerstalkers out there; thanks for sharing some wonderful whitetail photos.

Here's my effort for the day...a little boar.

Sorry about the shirtless photo; by the time I had this fellow on the ground all thoughts of propriety were lost with an overwhelming urge to cool down quickly before I fell over, so the shirt came off quick smart, and I staggered off to pose with my boar.

After a less-than-marvellous first hit, he took off, and we pursued him, knowing we'd lose him if we tried to blood-trail him later. I started to fall behind, but my good mate Matt Wright put his pack and compound bow on the ground and gave it all he had, knowing it was important to me to finish the job with the longbow if possible. By the time I caught up, 500 metres from the initial point of contact, Matt had the rather-cranky boar bayed - all he had was his knife, and he's happy the thing didn't charge. Anyway, I was able to get close and finish him with the Black Widow longbow.

This all took place at mid-day today, and I reckon the temperature was about 40 degrees, with a good whack of humidity too. I love my country, but it sure is a tricky place at times! I'm spending the afternoon trying to recover, and I'll clean my gear when it cools down this evening.

Cheers, Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©