3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006  (Read 41555 times)

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006
« Reply #720 on: November 19, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #721 on: November 19, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
DW, that looks like one of the strip pits around Flat Rock in the background.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #722 on: November 19, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
Eric, that's right but how did you know that|? The pic was taken this morning behind my house. I live on hwy. 71 just south of the 4-way stop. I loved the looks of that LH self bow you had listed a few months ago. My son is 11 y.o. and he really liked it a lot. Do you still have it? THX DON WILSON
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Axe Thrower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #723 on: November 20, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »
DW,
I'm a tackle nut so I got to ask you what kind of t/d longbow is that in the second picture and what kind of broadheads are you shooting.  Also, I hunt in Alabama every year and was wondering if it has gotten cold yet.  Because normally when we are cold up hear, we turn around and head to Bama and it is still quite warm.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #724 on: November 21, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »
DW....Nice photos! That's one good looking td longbow! It's nice to see you had the shelf cut on the right side...."lefties rule"!!!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #725 on: November 21, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »
I came close guys,   I was doing a stalk during lunch last Friday at a friend's grandad's old farm.  This is a 30 acre farm that's going to pines and has about 80 acres of timbered land on the north side and housing and a golf course on the other sides.  It's more isolated than it sounds.  Anyway, no ones been hunting it (with permission) for years and I was in the area and decide to spend my lunch doing something better than stuffing my face.  I suited up and started sneaking around keeping the wind in my face to the best of my ability.  Lots of sign and I skirted around a field that was mostly young pines and dropped down to a creek bottom.  There was a distinct deer path and some big rubs.  I moved just off the creek bottom because that was mostly hardwood saplings and bathed in light and entered the darker hardwood/pines 40 yards away paralleling the creek.  I was looking at trees trying to decide where I'd set a stand for this weekend and 10 yards ahead I saw the dark form of the backside of a deer raise from his bed.  He was on the other side of a pine blowdown and his front half was obscured by a latice-work of limbs and trunk.  I froze.  I could see his main beams as he moved his head and they were wide and thick, holding close to 5" or better diameter throughout the whole length of the beams.  I couldn't make out tines but I was concentrating on finding an opening to thread an arrow through.  I knew it was hopeless.  I would have to move 20' to my right to get on the same side of the log as he was in order to clearly shoot at his vitals.  The wind was in my favor and I don't think he knew what disturbed him.  I saw him look around and turn his head away from me and I had a fleeting hope he may turn around offering a broadside shot at his vitals. After about 30 sec. he remembered he had an important appointment somewhere else and he was late!  I tried to bleat him to a stop and draw but he kept going through the thick stuff.  It was close and a blast!  Maybe I'll get a rematch this weekend.  My friend's coming up for Thanksgiving and we may give it a go Friday/Saturday.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #726 on: November 23, 2006, 02:58:00 AM »
DW, great pics! Nicely done.   :thumbsup:  

back a coupla pages...Wary Buck, you sure that one doe wasn't crossbred with a camel or a horse! lol if that doe walked into a bar the bartender would ask her "why the long face?" lol Anyway,great lookin deer man.    :notworthy:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #727 on: November 23, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »
you folks are such skilled hunters, and that longbow just grabs your attention.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #728 on: November 24, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
Bowhunted the Friday before smokepole season with Mark Fedrizzi, Southpaw and Bamboo. This was just one of many rubs we came across. Great day with good people...seen a few deer but no shots....

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #729 on: November 25, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »
There was more than one successful hunter on the morning of November 13th....

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #730 on: November 25, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »

We are right in the middle of gun season here in Michigan. I am stubborn and must use a bow! This lady came in at 10:30am, after I had a hunter shoot a deer right by me an hour before!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #731 on: November 25, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

This is my second traditional harvest.Shot at 25 yds. broadside.Arrow went in low on right and stuck out high on left.She ran about 200 yds., but tracking was very easy.
PETE
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #732 on: November 25, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »
G'day!
Another fun-filled Sunday morning was had out bush! We saw good numbers of pigs, and blew a few stalks, and lost the wind advantage a few times; but eventually this little lady walked by me at sixteen metres, and I made a lovely shot with the 78lb PLX "Bocote", and the CX350 Heritage with a Magnus II 2-blade whizzed right through her, never to be found again in the reeds. She went for a trot, then slowed to a walk, and lay down gently within forty metres - all over!

Cheers, and good hunting to all,

Ben

Also, congratulations for taking those wonderful deer, fellows!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #733 on: November 26, 2006, 12:15:00 AM »
Ben, yet another pig! Unbelievable! You are really on a roll. Hope the succcess keeps up. Jason
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #734 on: November 26, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
Here is the result of my hunt yesterday, the story can be found on the Hope thread.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #735 on: November 26, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »
High on Archery.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #736 on: November 26, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »
good for you, Walt Francis! What a great photo, and wonderful Montana buck.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #737 on: November 26, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »
Neat picture Walt. Congrats on a beautiful buck. (I love Montana)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #738 on: November 26, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »
Good Stuff !  What a great buck, congratulations.

ROOTER
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #739 on: November 26, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »

Not quite like Walt's buck above, but I also scored today.  I had been hunting hard this year and seen VERY little in terms of mature bucks.  Got three does so far, but try as I might, I had seen zero mature bucks.  Walked about 6 miles of the Des Moines River this morning with longbow in hand, had a great time, but no shots.......so I called a friend and we decided to spend the evening on small 20 acre timber owned another of our friends.  I sat out in the tip of a finger sticking out into the creek bottom and he sat further up on the ridge.  I was planning on filling my last doe tag.....until this guy caught me off guard by coming to my grunt call from an unexpected direction.  I had to turn a 180 to get into shooting position and in doing so caught my limb tip on a branch and made some noise.......as luck (mine!) would have it the deer was at that moment behind a big oak and didn't see me free the limb tip.  After about 20-30 seconds of tense standing the buck felt ok about continuing his stroll and when he came clear of the oak my arrow was on the way. The 100 grain Steelforce Sabre Tooth went through the near lung, dead center through the heart, through the far lung, and lodged in the off shoulder.  The arrow was an Easton Axis 500 and was shot from my Thunder Stick Mag (42# @ 27").  Shot distance was 23 yards.  One more proof that you don't have to pull a lot of weight to get excellent penetration.  Bucks in my part of Iowa tend to be big bodied and only so-so racked....this guy went about 250 on the hoof and has a 4X6 rack.  I figured with gun season starting next Saturday I should do my best to fill my buck tag now.

Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©