3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006  (Read 41554 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt pics and Stories 2006
« Reply #740 on: November 26, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »
Fine deer...both of you...  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #741 on: November 27, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
Well, I was down in Pope County (southern Illinois) from the 10th through the 16th, hunting hard, but not seeing a whole lot. Everybody down there was saying the rut was in full swing, but I just wasn't seeing it in the areas I was concentrating on. I saw one buck following a doe at about ten o'clock in the morning on Friday the 11th, but the problem was I just happened to be hanging a stand at the time, so I just watched 'em go by.

Had an opportunity at a very large 3X4 on Saturday the 12th, at about 1:20 in the afternoon, but choked. He was walking slowly into my shooting lane and I drew my Schafer as his head went behind a tree. As he stepped into the lane I just sat there at full draw. My heart was screaming, "shoot!", but my fingers were definately not listening. I couldn't figure it out for a second, but finally realized that I hadn't picked a spot and was just looking at the whole deer. My brain evidently knew it though, because it wouldn't let my fingers loose the arrow. Knowing my error, I thought, "no problem, there's another good lane about 10 feet further up the trail". That thought was fleeting, though, because as soon as he passed through the first lane he stopped, put his nose in the air, and it was at that moment that I knew I was had.

The cool thing was, that at 20yds, with my new ghille suit on, he never even saw me. After my scent evidently filled his nostrils, he seemed to look all around me for a second or two, then simply turned, and walked somewhat stiff-legged, straight away.

The next day went a little better. I sat from 6a to 1:30p in the same spot I was in on Saturday. I saw one doe at around 7a, who busted me as soon as she walked into view, then I saw two small, but very fat bucks, at 10a. They turned away from me as soon as they got into my line of sight, so once again, no shot.

For the afternoon's festivities, I went to a stand I had erected on a little piece (20acres) of Shawnee National Forest that borders a friend's property, where I'm staying. Didn't see anything until about 4:55p, when I heard the little guy below walk up behind me. He was slowly walking broadside, or slightly quartering away, at about 25yds, when he stepped into a good opening. I concentrated on his shoulder crease and loosed a 2216 tipped with 175gr of Snuffer, which went right where I was looking and took out the top of his heart. He went down in sight, and I said a heartfelt "thank you" to the evening air, and whoever else was listening.

“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline weasle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #742 on: November 27, 2006, 01:33:00 PM »
nice bucks guys

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #743 on: November 27, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »
Brad I wish I could convince my brain to not shoot if I hadn't picked a spot. Wow what a cool fail/safe measure. Do you give lessons on how to get one's mind to do that?
Nice deer too!
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #744 on: November 27, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »
Galen,
I wish I knew how it works, but I don't! It either feels right, or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, I can't hardly make myself release. Almost invariably, when it doesn't feel right it's because I didn't pick a spot.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #745 on: November 27, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
Congratulations Brad!
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline hunterpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #746 on: November 27, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »
This is a buck that my buddy Layne Shot in PA. this was his first buck with a bow and with traditional tackle! Congratulations Layne!!!  
Act 11:7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, "Arise Peter, kill and eat".

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #747 on: November 27, 2006, 06:41:00 PM »
Here's a few pics from my Iowa hunt this past weekend...I spent the 2nd and 4th weeks of october up there, skunked, and went back just for the weekend, got lucky and killed a nice one! Woulda been an 8 pt with a droptine, but the drop and one main beam broken off makes him a 7. Saw him down thru the brush about 4pm, on saturday. He went back down into the ditch so I grunted twice, and he came back out. He made 2 huge scrapes, pawing dirt and leaves way up into the air! He then worked his way down the field edge to me, ears pinned back, posturing, walkin sideways, hackled raised, lookin for a fight! He was as close as 5 or 6 feet from the base of my ladderstand! I could hear him sniffing, as he walked stiff legged past me. He finally made a turn away from me, I came to fulldraw, actually hit my anchor point even!!! I grunted with my mouth, 2 or 3 times, and he turned enuff for a quartering away shot at 8 yds. I had good penetration, but no exit wound visible as he ran back the way he came from. I gave him 30 minutes, and had to hoof track him, with very little blood trail, and found him some 120-150 yds later, in the ditch from heck!!!

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #748 on: November 27, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
Big bodied, and thick neck too!!! Black widow recurve, 53#@30", goldtip traditional arrahs, magnus 4 blade, 125gr.

and yea, the magnus do leave a mark!!!

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #749 on: November 27, 2006, 06:44:00 PM »
cozy camp!

Satisfaction and celebration....yea, those are chicken breasts...lol, danged diet anyway!!!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #750 on: November 27, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
Wooooooooo!!!!!! Allright fireman!!!  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #751 on: November 27, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
god what a neck that bad boy had!
Make a life, not a living

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #752 on: November 27, 2006, 09:08:00 PM »
Nice ones guys!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #753 on: November 27, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »
Some Turkeys

Offline MDbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #754 on: November 27, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »
That beer is huge!!! Do you photoshop that???  LOL...
Looking to buy RH Black Widow HS takedown recurve bows.  Please send Private Message.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #755 on: November 28, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »
Wow, you guys are baggin some sweet bucks this year!
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #756 on: November 28, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by MDbowhunter:
That beer is huge!!! Do you photoshop that???  LOL...
Dang, ya caught me!!!!!!LOLOLOL

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #757 on: November 29, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »
Here is the story of my 11/1/06 buck.

Seems this nice 10 point buck I have been hunting for a while was always one step ahead of me. I saw him so often but had so many things go wrong that I named him Murphy. I was beginning to think he was invincible.  Twice he has actually ducked an arrow as it sped towards it's mark. Another time just as I went to draw on him a bobcat crossed his path and spooked him. Twice other deer saw me sneaking up on him and blew the whistle, and once a loud jeep out wheeling the swamp made him run for cover as I closed withen 15 yards of him. Finally though he messed up and I broke Murphy's law.

I had hid in the root mound of a tree (fallen by recent windstorms) along a creek he followed to his bedding area. In the twilight of the dawn he passed by me withen 20 yards and I was able to take a clean shot at him. Even then though it didn't go according to plan. Startled by the bow's "twang" he turned and the arrow's destination was altered. Not the ideal shot anymore but it should prove fatal none the less. Big bucks sometimes don't die easy and this one would prove that true. He was a runner. He ran a few hundred yards out of the swamp and hid in some thickly pined ravine in the oak highlands. The problem with tracking him was that the morning was breezy and the trail was being literally blown away. The distance he covered in seconds would take me hours to follow. I called in a favor and soon Matt was there to assist in the pursuit.

As Matt searched the leaves and grasses for traces of his trail I scouted ahead for the deer himself. Eventually I found myself on a faint deer trail desending into the pines. Suddenly I spotted fresh blood at my feet. Looking up I saw Murphy standing in the pines watching me. My hand found an arrow in the quiver and instictively nocked it to the bow. It was in vain because as my eyes meet his he was off and running again. Unable to rush him in the heavy pine cover I called to Matt. We discovered the buck had now left the pines and headed up across a small oak savanna. Our plan would be to have Matt trail the blood while I flanked him with my bow at the ready. The forest was open here and I could easily see over 100 yards but yet I did not see my buck. I wondered just how far would he run this time. We were already five hours into tracking him.

The topography changed again as the oak ridge decended into a lake basin. I could now see for hundreds of yards but no sign of a running deer. Matt chattered a squirrel call to get my attention. He signed to me that the blood trail appeared to go straight into the lake. I know deer are good swimmers but several ducks swam about on the water as if undistirbed. It appeared he must have only made his way into some of the tall grass at the edge of the small hidden lake.

By now he was tired and weak from the loss of blood that had led us to his secret hiding places. As the ducks took to flight. I closed in to just a few yards from him. He either had to deal with me or the water. My first thought was to draw my knife and finish this but as I sized up the arsenal he carried on his head I knew if he turned on me it wouldn't be good. I again nocked an arrrow and asessed the situation. I knew the first arrow he had taken would eventually prove fatal but I was also aware of the worse case scenareo and didn't want to chance it. Not to mention I was already upset that the first shot had not been a clean kill. As he made his move I made mine and my arrow hit it's mark. It passed clean through the liver and heart and I knew now it would all be over in a few seconds whether he turned on me or not. Nothing about this hunt had been easy and he wasn't about to change that now. He decided to run again and headed straight into the lake and I had no choice but to follow. Tossing my bow, quiver and jacket into the grass I ran into the shallow lake after the buck. The bottom was muddy and his strength was fading fast. I knew I had to stop him before he made deep water and drowned. The November water was cold but I hardly noticed that as I focused on some way to stop him from getting deeper or going under. A deer's hoofs can cut you open so wrestling with him in the water was a bad idea. Instead I got just close enough to lasso his antler with my belt and turn him around. That was all he had and as he expired I drug him back to shore. Matt threw the other end of my quivers belt to me and helped me make it through the mud. After a silent prayer of thanks all that was left to do was to field dress him and the long drag out of the woods.  
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline sir_h_c

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #758 on: November 29, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
heck of a story, heck of a hunt.  Good on you for not giving it up.
straighten up and fly right...Dangit!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #759 on: November 29, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by sir_h_c:
heck of a story, heck of a hunt.  Good on you for not giving it up.
No doubt...good work!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©