3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2007  (Read 37428 times)

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2007
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
See goats Sheep and Pigs hunting hawaii for full story

Andrew

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
Here is a pick of an oxbow I was pig hunting near last week.

It`s less than a mile from where the world record bass was caught.
  And here is the pig.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Nick, thank God you're alright   :biglaugh:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Nick,  I have been by that sign in the boat when the river was up and all you could see was about a foot of it.You may need to consider a back up gun the next time your after those critters.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »

Here is a Gobbler I arrowed second day of season. I had three Gobblers come in at 0615. The jake decoy was 12ft from blind and all three Gobblers were between the blind and the jake decoy. Shot was about 6ft I figure.
hunt it

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Congrats David, nice tom
Serge
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
An oxbow lake I was hunting near last week.Thats a gators head in the middle.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Small snake also. He`s a lot nicer than what you usually see down here.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
First Tom...21 lbs, 10" beard, 1" spurs.....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/sf1oak/P6060005.jpg
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
Got these last Sunday in a flooded field...

“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Good shootin, Brad!!!! Nice mess of fish there!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »

Finally, I actually shot a turkey with my recurve bow and cedar arrow. I missed 3 toms last week while trying to make a head shot on them. Discovered that is a small target that never stays still for more than a moment. Yesterday I decided I would body shoot the next one I got a chance at but I ended up shooting low and missing. Today it all came together.

I stepped from behind a tree to see a tom looking right at me from about 60 yards out. He didn't cut and run like I expected but he was nervous and headed away from me. I stood still and watched him disappear in the underbrush. After several minutes passed with no sign of him I changed my position a little and made a few yelps on my wing bone call. I heard no response but figured I would just stay put since I now had good cover and threatening skies meant the hunt might be over soon anyway.

Suddenly some movement caught my eye. It was a tom, perhaps the same tom, and he was heading my direction. This could be my chance if I didn't get noticed again. I tried to keep my body and bow concealed behind the oak next to me and then I focused on remaining calm and not moving anything but my eyes. He slowly made his way along, picking at this and that and always pausing to listen and look around. I knew I would have to let him pass by in order to get a shot but already my heart was picking up the tempo.

As he passed behind my tree something caused him to gobble and I just about jumped out of my skin. He was probably less than 15 yards away and I wasn't expecting that. His was the first gobble I had heard all day. Moments later he gobbled again. I used that as my cue to lean out and have a look at him. Suddenly he fluttered his wings as if he was stretching them out and that was the commotion I needed to make my move. I stepped from behind the tree and drew simultaneously. My eye settled into the center of his back and the arrow was off. My aim had been true and the big bird tumbled forward. His beating wings told me the arrow had not broken his back and might actually be able to get away. I quickly knocked a second arrow as I rushed him. In a reflex motion I drew and the arrow struck the tom in the head. Now it was over. I had my turkey. A nice tom with a 9" beard and plenty of good meat for a turkey dinner. As I picked him up to go the rains started to fall.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »
Hey Fireman, nice shooting. What is that fish in the bottom pic? Is that a shad?
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nakohe:
Hey Fireman, nice shooting. What is that fish in the bottom pic? Is that a shad?
No, it's a Bighead Carp!!! Ugly thang, fo sho...

And, Thanks!!!

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
I got my first Bighead!

Last Saturday Rick Stillman (Fletcher) and I went down to the United Bowhunters of Illinois' annual "Bowfish and BBQ Bash", at Rend Lake, near Benton, Illinois. If you've never been... good people, good food, unlimited shooting opportunities, GREAT TIME!

We did most of our shooting in the Big Muddy River, below the dam. You could shoot gar down there until your arm fell off, plus there's commons, buffalo, dogfish, and of course, these babies...

“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
They Be  UGLY  and  LARGE  to Boot!!!  :scared:   What do ya  DO  with a Big  UGLY  Fish like That  Bad Boy ??  :confused:    :thumbsup:  Good Shootin' Too!!!  :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
I really don't like showing off for myself but I couldn't resist the chance to post results from my latest hunt.  I guess I'll do this to brag on the equipment used, how's that?

My brother and Dad had done all the pre-hunt work- running the bait and all.  All I had to do was show up and hunt (with a tight schedule and 3 days to hunt, this was great!).  Well, on my first morning in the stand this smaller blonde phase bear came in.  He fooled around for a little while and finally posed broadside at just under 15 yards.  I really don't remember drawing to shoot, but I did see the arrow disappear right where I was looking.  As the bear was running away I could see the blood shooting out both sides of his chest so I knew it wouldn't take long... and sure enough just as he turned out of sight at 50 yards he came cartwheeling down the steep hill.  What a feeling!  It was an incredible experience.  To top it all off my brother Mike was right there, catching it all on video.  

For the hunt I used a custom GrizzlyBows 3 piece take-down longbow, 55# at 28".  I was shooting GrizzlyBows Arrows as well, tapered laminated birch tipped with razor sharp 190 gr. grizzlies for a total arrow wt of 720 gr.  It was unbelievable how quick that arrow zipped through the bear and stuck in the ground on the other side- A true testament to how effective a longbow can be if it is built right and tuned correctly with some heavy arrows.

Not a large bear, but being my only bear it sits at #1 in my book!  Besides, taking this bear served as icing on the cake for a weekend of hunting with my favorite crew- My dad Mike and my brothers Steve, Mike, and Dan.  Truly a hunt to remember.

-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Well done! Real beauty! Congrats! CK

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Great picture, bear, and hunt, cogratulations.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©