3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2007  (Read 37390 times)

Offline TC in IL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2007
« Reply #480 on: November 12, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
Nice story Rick.  Thanks for sharing.  :)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #481 on: November 12, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
Well, Saturday, I took my 10 y.o. Daughter hunting with me in the natural ground blind. Later in the afternoon, we had a doe running along the edge of the field, headed our way. I got my bow ready and thought about stopping her to shoot. As she got closer I noticed she was running with her mouth wide open, looking like she was being chased. I elected not to shoot her and whispered to my daughter to watch for a buck. Of course, the buck never appeared. Oh well... Still an exciting moment. My daughter's eyes got real big, seeing that doe duck into the woods, right in front of us, just 5 yards away.
  :eek:    :archer:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Mike Hames

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #482 on: November 12, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Took this Buck in Kansas this weekend hunting with Ralph Renfro (Ksbow) and John Cooke (Johnbow) with a 60" Longriver Elk longbow, 55#, Beeman Classic arrow,100 grn weighted insert, Magnus 135grn 2 blade head.
This is normally my turkey blind bow but I have been shooting so well that I decided to use it for this trip.
8 point, 132lb dressed. Hunting from a tree stand in some cedars and locust along a CRP grass field and plum thickets. Saw several small bucks and some doe when this buck came across a opening with two smaller bucks. I used a grunt call twice and they took a line that would put them just 15yds from my stand.
Waited until the big one stepped behind a cedar and drew. When he appeared, it was all automatic. Took him in the near shoulder, through the heart and broke the leg bone on the exit side. Ran 20 yds and fell within site.
It is great to hunt with friends and icing on the cake when you score and they can be there to share it.

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #483 on: November 12, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Way to go Mike.  :thumbsup:
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline Thaihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #484 on: November 12, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Nice Buck Mike!

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #485 on: November 12, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
Congrats my friend!!    :clapper:

Dennis

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #486 on: November 13, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
Congrats to all. Looks like most are having a great year. Keep 'em coming for guy's like me who can't go out and play.

I'm still hoping to get out there but it's not looking good. Even though I live on huntable land I haven't had the chance to even scout it this year. First time in 20 years I might not get a deer. The fire service owns me right now and will through out the rest of the season.   :(
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #487 on: November 13, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
The day started of sunny w/quite a bit of wind.I headed to my stand for a afternoon hunt.A few days b4 I went to put some food out a make a mock scrape.As I came close to my stand I noticed the mock was twice the size,my food was gone,and the tree next to it,which of good size was torn up!!Of course now my spirits were high.Around 2:45 I let out a few "soft" grunts and waited.At 3;05 I turned to my right to see a buck coming in lickin his nose.Being my treestand was in a cluster of trees I had to wait for the right moment to meneuver the recurve for a shot.After he cleared some brush he was in the spot for my shot,quartering away 15 yds.I "picked my spot" and let a 29.5" 1916 autum orange XX75 tipped w/125 Stinger 2 bld. slip from my fingers.The arrow hit its mark and the buck took off.I let out a few grunts and he stopped about 20 yds away and turned to smell the arrow which was sticking out (99%) the other side,then turned walked another 15-20 yds and fell over.What a feeling it was to take such a magnificent animal traditional style.I waited 25 mins. came down,thanked the lord and did alittle dance.In the meantime I had called over my hunting buddy and he arrived seconds later.What a day!!

BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #488 on: November 14, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
Good day indeed!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #489 on: November 14, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Here's a couple I killed on Blackbeard Island three weeks ago, a hog, 4 pointer, and a spike. The second buck was my first stone point kill. I started flintknapping last spring and finally knocked out a couple of points and got one hafted to a cane shaft.

chris
For some, hunting is a pleasant way to spend a fall afternoon, for others it is who they are.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #490 on: November 14, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
WOW.  :clapper:
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #491 on: November 14, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
Chris,
That is great.  Can you tell us how the stone head performed?  
BTW, I definetly understand your signature line.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #492 on: November 14, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Congratulations Chris, on the kills and taking the next step in trad bowhunting.  Great photos too!  Must have been a great hunt, one I hope to try next year.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #493 on: November 14, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
Cool!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #494 on: November 14, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Christopher,
The stone tip performed above my expectations. As you can see there was no damage to the point. It broke a rib going in, broke a rib just behind the right shoulder, and stopped in the back of the shoulder. I was a little worried when I didn't get an exit hole on the off side because I had a high entry wound, but after seeing the wound I think the flint tips rip a larger hole than a razor sharp steel broadhead. The little buck bled well out of the top entry wound.

Jeff,
I hope you can make it next year. This was my fourth year in a row and this is a hunt I'll do annually without a doubt. Let me know once you decide and you can join our camp.

chris
For some, hunting is a pleasant way to spend a fall afternoon, for others it is who they are.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #495 on: November 14, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Awesome!!

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #496 on: November 15, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
Very nice point Chris, doesnt get any better

Offline JEFF B