3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2007  (Read 37387 times)

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2007
« Reply #520 on: November 25, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
thats a nice buck Jim, congrats!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #521 on: November 25, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Great job Jimscol.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #522 on: November 26, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Well I lucked out and killed a good buck this weekend. I posted the details on the Georgia forum:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=34;t=000403

chris

For some, hunting is a pleasant way to spend a fall afternoon, for others it is who they are.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #523 on: November 26, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Excellent buck! Nice job.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #524 on: November 26, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
A great buck for a great guy!!  Congrats bud    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #525 on: November 26, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
VERY Nice.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #526 on: November 27, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
congratulation really nice buck Chris

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #527 on: November 27, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Nice buck Chris!!!!!!!!!  Way to go Sir!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #528 on: November 27, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
he's a beauty Chris, congrats!

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #529 on: November 28, 2007, 06:16:00 AM »
Cogratulations! Very good buck. It's a great photo too. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #530 on: November 28, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
Chris - did you use a stone point like the last photo's I saw?
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #531 on: November 28, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
I've had a good season thus far but haven't logged on here much.  This full-time job, part-time job, being dad, coach, husband "gig" is a tough one.  That and the fact that unless I do something frequently, I have to look up the directions all over again...which is the case now with my (in)ability to download pictures on this site.  Here goes:

Oct. 8 I was sitting on a center pivot in the middle of a 1/2-mi. circle of standing corn.  There's a 1/4-mi. swath of marshy grass maybe 30-50 yards wide that extends from about 3 o'clock on the east to the center pivot which also includes an overgrown access lane.  We had lots of rain from mid-summer on so the pivot didn't get much use and neither did the lane going in.

Anyway, I was sitting on the pivot because the evening before I'd been sitting on the second leg out and saw a bachelor group of bucks come out of the corn and start posturing/sparring, etc. near the pivot.  I got down and stalked to within 25 yards of all 5, the largest being a 110" 4x5 that was safe from me.  But it was cool being that close to five bucks acting fairly cocky.

Well the following evening I didn't see much at all but about sundown a nice 4x5 with decent mass and long brows came out back down by the 2nd pivot (maybe 80 yards away).  He eventually was likely to get downwind and/or cut my entry trail anyway so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying a stalk.  But it was really quiet, so I went a bunch of rows into the corn and then headed his direction, planning to come out on the second pivot track...(to be continued next post).

Here's a picture of me and my girls on an early season hunt from a buddy stand.  Sure enough a couple dink bucks showed up but no does...

"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #532 on: November 28, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
Dang, that picture came out big.  Hope it's not too big but I'm just a moron when it comes to pixels, etc.

...Anyway, it was way too quiet to be stalking and as I neared the second pivot track I knew the buck (if he was still there) had to know something was in the corn.  So I occasionally grunted and also began pulling on ears of corns like you might hear a feeding deer do.  But doing this at a slow pace meant I was running out of shooting light and by the time I reached the pivot track, I probably had 10 minutes left or so.  I was maybe 30 rows away from the grassy lane area (not the grassy knoll), and continued my strategy of trying to sound like a deer.  I was maybe 10 yards from the edge when I could see corn stalks moving maybe 4 yards away from me, just off the pivot track.  I froze, waited, pulled a corn ear, waited, and after maybe 60 seconds HE stepped into the pivot track but immediately bolted out into the grassy area.

I figured the gig was up, but that it was very cool to have been that close to a nice buck.  I tiptoed down the pivot track and I'll be darned if he hadn't stopped out there on the lane and was looking back to see just what the heck was still in the corn.  I was maybe 3-4 rows still from the edge, but there was a narrow gap and if I leaned forward and began my draw, the upperbowstring pulled back an obstruction and I lined up and let her go.

Definitely heard what sounded like a good hit.  Blood found on the site, 60 yards later I'm standing over a fairly heavy and gnarly 127"ish 4x5.  All my kills are memorable, but this was one that will be hard to forget.

Pronghorn longbow, Woodsman head, Sitka Gear...

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #533 on: November 28, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
All this is in Nebraska by the way, along the Platte River bottom or in some bluffs overlooking the same.  

Also had a couple lucky encounters with turkeys.  First one was Oct. 29 as I was sneaking into my deer stand I surprised a group of four toms and drilled this guy in the back as they departed.  Guessing he was about 18 lbs.  Same gear as before, Pronghorn longbow, Woodsman head, Sitka Gear.

Then on Thanksgiving Day, as the post-feast BSing began to slow down, I decided a quick 90-minute hunt (trying for a doe) was better than a nap and lucked out on an 18.6 lb. tom with two beards from my tree stand.

Still at it on my second buck tag but not overly optimistic.  Have some doe-killing to do as well with one month to go.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #534 on: November 28, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
One last picture some of you may find interesting.  This is the view from my 'stand' on the center pivot maybe 45 minutes before I got the nice buck 80 yards back behind me.  I'm guessing the shot ended up being about 18 yards.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #535 on: November 28, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Nice buck and good job on the turkeys! The sitka gear serving you well in the cold? Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #536 on: November 28, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
what is going on in that picture. the bow looks like its floating
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #537 on: November 28, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
yeah what is it doing?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #538 on: November 28, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
BlasterJDH,
I didn't use a stone point on this buck. I got to get back to knappin and make another decent point.

Wary Buck,
That's incredible. I've yet to kill a deer on the ground. I can't imagine taking a mature buck that way!

chris
For some, hunting is a pleasant way to spend a fall afternoon, for others it is who they are.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #539 on: November 29, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
As for the bow "floating"--that's just the magic of Herb Meland's bows!  Okay, there was a place on the center pivot that allowed me to prop my bow up that way.  Not too many hooks up there on the pivot and yet I have to find a place to tie my safety belt to, hang a video camera, hang my pack, hang my quiver, and ideally hang my bow.  Sometimes I end up being rather resourceful.  I did end up getting some video of my buck before I got down and stalked him.

Sitka in the cold?  I just add a layer of Winona between the inner layers and the vest/90% jacket on the outside.  The 90% coat is VERY quiet and its slender design makes for a sleek bow arm (some don't even use an arm guard).  I'm hopeful for a Sitka insulative layer maybe by next year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©