3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Duffers were young once.  (Read 43802 times)

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Duffers were young once.
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2005, 07:54:00 AM »
Ron,

I gotta ask. It's been a couple years since I've been in the shop so, have you straightened up some, or are those old pictures.   :p  

BTW - you're shop and my buddies gun shop are two of my favorite places to hang. I think it's becuase you have the same wood stove...Can't be the history all around you.

Awesome thread. Makes me wish I used a camera a whole lot more.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »
This doe came by the day before firearms season opened. Time to stop huntin bucks and make meat.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2005, 08:56:00 AM »
Here's a pretty good longnose gar for these parts.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »
I stalked this coyote. Only took one arrow with me on the stalk.... turned into a rodeo!

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2005, 09:29:00 AM »
I just went through the posts again.  I have enjoyed watching this as much as any subject on Trad Gang.  It gives us a small picture of the history of our sport.
Mel Riley

Offline Tracy McQueen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2005, 09:47:00 AM »
Great thread guys. I have seldom enjoyed one more. I don't have a single picture from all my years of hunting. Most of the time didn't have a camera. The few I did have were destroyed by getting wet.
All the best to you,

Tracy McQueen

Please help support the Boy Scouts of America. Get a kid involved in Scouting!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2005, 10:30:00 AM »
Charlie,

Coyotes are tough. I called this one in by kissing on the back of my hand. Didn't lead him enough and took him through the hams. I got him, but only after a looong tracking job and two more shots.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »
Ron... same as the one in my pic...EXCEPT the one arrow deal.
I never expected to stalk as close as I did, so that's why only one arrow. First shot on the trotting dog hit across the bridge of his nose. Had to run out in the field and retrieve the arrow. Second shot at 40 yards, coyote now running, hit through hip. He holed up and waited for me and after retrieving the arrow I finished him.
Lesson learned on that one.  :knothead:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »
I love hunting in the snow.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2005, 11:49:00 AM »
I even love hunting in the rain   :D

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »
Nice weather too...I just love hunting

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »
nice pics ron
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline N.O.S.guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
This is probably one of the best threads I have been to ever. I love this site, there is no bashing of each others gear, no snide remarks, and none of this opinionated garbage that all the other sites have. If I can find it I want to post a picture of the person that introduced me to Archery, my grandmother. She was half Cherokee and the youngest of two daughters to my greatgrandfather. She was his Tomboy, so he taught her how to shoot and when he passed away, she got his longbow.
"Dangon, man... You gotta arra... stickbow and string... lil'ole broadhead... talkin bout ole TWANG man... backstraps are served... know what I mean, man."
Somewhere between West Georgia and Southern Mississippi.

Offline leftbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »
Ron. Who makes your buckskins and hats? Nice pics. Read something here about you moving and taking apart that den. Don't know how you could do it.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2005, 06:08:00 PM »
On my way to Friendship,IN for the NMLRA shoot About 1959/60--hard to believe I was ever that young!

1964- Canada had just opened Superior/Quetico area. Ron McDaniel and I spent a month in there. I wrote a story about it called "Clouds"(for Shooting Sportsman)
The hat is homemade from a fox I killed with a spear on our Farm.

Dr. Ron on the same trip. We had an old Grumman magnesium canoe....and a lot of stones for a couple of Hoosier weedbenders. We wandered around lost for a week, and I loved it.

Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2005, 07:28:00 PM »
Leftbow,

In the older pictures I posted I'm wearing buckskins I made myself. Teresa Asbell has made some nice skins for me, pants and shirt and also a couple of elkskin jackets, and an otterskin hat. She also makes some nice fur quivers. I've got one made of Wolverine and one of Bobcat she made for me.

If you're interested her email is [email protected]  She'll also have a booth at the Compton Rendezvous next month.

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »
This has been GREAT !!!!!!!!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »
Thank you guys SO MUCH for sharing!
I know it's a pain to post pic's, so I want to say that it is VERY MUCH appreciated!

I'll take some time and show this to my kids later this week...

Thanks Again,
Marc and Family...
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »
Took this muley in the rimrock country of eastern Wyoming.

I was able to work in ahead of this buck and another, plus two does.
The does ended up standing above me as I hunkered on the edge of a wash. I stood up between them and shot the buck at 15 yards. Double lung, watched him pile up in 50 yards.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »
Sometimes I think about the pictures I could have had and didn't get!!   :knothead:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©