3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Duffers were young once.  (Read 43788 times)

Offline Philip Morris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Duffers were young once.
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »
I sit in awe of the great stories and photo's that have been posted here.  Most were before my time.  I would like to be able to post one photo and story as great as what each of you have.

Phil
Proverbs 27:1 Boast not thyself of to morrow, for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

Offline Donavan Daniel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: May 25, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »
I love the story behind to photo! Awsome pics guys!

Cheers,
Donavan

Offline stikbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: May 25, 2005, 11:21:00 PM »
This thread has to be one of the neatest things I have ever seen.  It really makes me step back and appreciate all my parents and grandparents did to get me in the woods and started down this road we call hunting.  Again, great thread guys.
Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: May 26, 2005, 08:54:00 AM »
Here's a picture of some of the participants at the first Great Lakes Longbow Invational in Michigan in 1985. That white screen in the background is my shooting screen that was a backstop for targets tossed in the air.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: May 26, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »
Here's Fred Anderson, myself and John Lee discussing bow design at the 1st Great Lakes shoot.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: May 26, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »
Some folks enjoying the canoe shoot at the GLLI.

Offline Hammerhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: May 26, 2005, 09:16:00 AM »
This has to be my favorite thread so far. I hope someday I can look back at my life and have, oh maybe half, the good memories of friends and adventure that you "Duffers" enjoy.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: May 26, 2005, 09:37:00 AM »
Another picture from the GLLI. Maybe some of you old timers remember this 90 yd novelty shot across the pond. Everybody paid $1.00 for 3 shots and the closest arrow to the center of the kill split the pot. You couldn't believe the arrows floating in the water after a round of shots.

A good shooter could make enough to buy his lunch and gas for the trip. Of coarse it wouldn't buy nearly as much gas today    :D

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: May 26, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »
"Maybe some of you old timers remember this 90 yd novelty shot across the pond"

Dang, I remember that, but I didn't think I was an "old timer" yet!  :rolleyes:  

90 yards across the pond.....hmmm, that was before range finders. Who could hold their breath long enough to pace it off?   :D
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: May 26, 2005, 10:52:00 AM »
Ray, I remember you back then. Wern't you that kid that kept pestering me, wanting to try to pull my 85# bow.   :p    :bigsmyl:

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: May 26, 2005, 11:10:00 AM »
Ron,

Sorry, I went right past you to the big guy himself; Denny Sturgis, Jr. He had a 100# bow there and at the time I was shooting my own 85# Howard Hill longbow. I drew his bow back to full draw! A few years ago, I drew back Steve Turay's (Northern Mist Bows)95# longbow that he keeps on hand at shoots. That was my last time being macho.

Of course I younger and foolish then. Now I'm (still) young and wiser, shooting my 58# Samurai.   :help:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »
Ray, I think you're talking about later years. I'm talking about when you and Denny Jr were both just snot-nosed kids. The first time I saw D. Jr he looked like the guy that got sand kicked in his face in those old Charles Atlas ads.   :D  That was a lot of boxes of Wheaties ago.   :bigsmyl:

Offline frankb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: May 26, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
One of my favorite threads.  Thanks, fellas!

TTT

FrankB
"Until we meet again, may the Great Spirit make sunrise in your heart." ~Author Unknown~

Offline Olebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: May 26, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »
Without a doubt, the finest thread I've ever seen on any web site!
Thank you -- to all you other old duffers out there who have lived the life of the bow.

Sincerely, Olebow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: May 26, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »
Olebow,...stop that your embarrassing me    :o    :o

Offline RTR Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: May 27, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »
THis hast to be the best thread I have seen....To see the momories y ou guys have gotten to make really brings joy to my heart and the desire to quit my job move back home and HUNT

Dave at RTR
Over, Under, Around and Through, 2 roads diverged in a yellow wood.....I cut my own...

TRAMPLE THE WEAK...HURDLE THE DEAD

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: May 27, 2005, 01:57:00 AM »
I've been checking in everyday.  This thread has been motivating.  Cool stuff.  Chad

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: May 27, 2005, 06:50:00 AM »
OK I've been looking at this and the other thread (a tad younger members) and I see pics of all nature so here is about 3 oldies of meinself for consideration (from my web site)

16 years old in 1951 - running my own riding stable in NH

1st buck - taken at Camp Pendleton, CA 1959 I was 24, the buck was 5 1/2 (I was a late starter)

Lunch break at Cherry Point, NC in 1965 @ 30 yoa

I didn't get into Bows enough for pictures until I was 56 and then not trad bows 'till after 2000 (Told ya I was a late starter)

(Oh, if the pics aren't suitable subject matter just pull the handle marked "Flush" - remember those?)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: May 27, 2005, 08:43:00 AM »
Bernie, if you were 16 in 1965, how could you be 24 years old in 1959    :confused:  

That's really Leanardo DeCapreo (sp) in the 1st picture isn't it?    :D

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: May 27, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »
LOL Ron, (My gosh, I did look a little like he would in later years, huh?) I knew I was flirtin' with the danger of runnin' out of fingers doin' all that cipherin'. It is just my multiple entities - ha-ha. Actually it was a mis-type mis-take (since edited) and I was 16 in '51 Thanks for cathing it, Ron.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©