3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Duffers were young once.  (Read 43785 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Duffers were young once.
« Reply #320 on: May 27, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »
LOL, I figured it was a type-o on your part. Man you are an old duffer aren't you, you're a year older than me    :eek:

You sure do look like that Leanardo guy. When I was  young everybody thought I looked like Elvis     :saywhat:    :cool:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: May 27, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »
That'll work - (note to self: don't let wife see pic of young Ron - LOL)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: May 27, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
(note to self: don't let wife see pic of young Ron  

23 years old...ahhhh, those were the days my friend   ;)
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: May 27, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »
Ron, you look pretty good all cleaned up.

Was that photo taken with one of those old, black powder flash camera's?    "[tunglaff]"
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: May 27, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »
Was that photo taken with one of those old, black powder flash camera's?  
Oh a wise guy eh?   :smileystooges:

Fast forward 20 years to the mountain man period.

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: May 27, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
Should have been more careful what you put in that pipe.  ;-)

Great thread.  Thanks to all.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: May 27, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »
Should have been more careful what you put in that pipe. ;-)  
It was Prince Albert....in the can    :p

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: May 27, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »
I used to have someone in the family that smoked that (I think my Grandfather on Ma's side). Anyway I always had plenty of those nice flat cans to put earthworms in to go brook truoting when I was a kid - slipped in the back pocket great.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: May 27, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »
This is a two part picture story.

I was walking down the road at my hunting club when I ran into a guy carrying what looked like a limb with a string on it. I asked him if he hunted with "That", "yes" he said. Kill deer with "that"? Again he replied in the affirmative. I had to learn more about "that". He invited me to his house and taught me the basics of bow making.

At a family gathering a later I over heard my wife's cousin talking about going to the farm. After the company left I asked my wife about the "farm". She said" I forgot, Marie inherited a farm years ago". We had been married for 15 years and this important info had been gathering dust all this time.

Turns out the farm was only 15 miles from the house, 185 grown up acres with 5 acre woodlots and honeysuckle patches all over it. The wood lots had 3ft diameter white oaks in abundance.A quick look at the property showed it to be a deer paradise.

I obtained a permit to hunt the land from Marie, set up in a woodlot and saw 12 deer the first evening in the stand. I was carrying my first functioning selfbow, a 70# hickory bow, made with instruction from a great guy who took the time to show me how to make a bow.

On my next trip the doe in the picture walked right under my stand, first selfbow and wood arrow kill. Yep you can kill deer with one of those "things". Been bunch of years since this picture was taken and lots more deer have fallen to my selbows.

The land sold the following year.

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: May 27, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »
Ron, Did you star in the movie "The Mountain Men"  :saywhat:    :cool:  Nice pic!!...........Raven

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: May 27, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »
Raven, No I didn't but if I'd of had an agent back then maybe I could have been an extra.   "[tunglaff]"

Bernie, I carried worms like that too when I was a kid fishin trout on the creeks. I think those tobacco cans were pretty much of a standard for carrying worms in those days.   :)

Offline leftbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: May 27, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »
Ron. You could have given Bill Holden err.. I mean that Leonardo Decaprio guy a run for his money.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: May 27, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »
Yep, Ron - my Pop showed me to use them, and to put wet leaves in his (and later, my) creel to keep the delicate skin of the trout from drying out before ya got home.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #333 on: May 27, 2005, 08:26:00 PM »
This one is from 1968. I hunted crows on a roost near St.Louis at night. What a blast! I think that place is a tourist center now.

Not bad form... 83# Honkin Hoyt Pro Hunter 58".

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Islandlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: May 27, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »
Eric thats a great story. Funny how you just fall into things..

Jerry
Procrastination is the thief of time.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: May 27, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
Here's a picture of the MLA's first rabbit hunt in 1983. The thing I remember most about that hunt was that it was 20 below zero early that morning and we had to wait until almost noon before it warmed up enough for the dogs.

Offline JimE.IV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: May 27, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »
I've read all 28 pages and I just wanted to say thanks.

This absolutely the best thing I've ever seen or read on an internet messageboard.

Van:  Was really nice to see those pictures, especially the ones of your dad. I just love to see pics from 50's and 60's of people just having fun with archery on those field rounds, I'll never get tired of seeing them.

Ron: I collect old Archery periodicals and have seen you in many of them, to get a first hand pictorial review of the history is awesome, Thanks.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: May 28, 2005, 06:18:00 AM »
What a nice accolade, JimE IV - and for a very special ol' "Mountain Man" to all of us (even if he does take pleasure in reminding me I'm a year older'n him - LOL - I feel like a kid at his knees when it comes to Archery and all the frontier doings  I used to read about in books and dream of as a kid.)Like Ron once "said" to me of his wife's thoughts, I think he actually was transported to us from another life/time frame - LOL (Also nice mention for Van and his Dad).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: May 28, 2005, 07:57:00 AM »
Here's an early "catch" of frogs. Circa 1964. The bow is my little Kodiak Magnum (1962) and I still have it.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: May 28, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »
Oh yeah! That's a machine stitched Howard Hill back quiver I'm wearing...still have it too!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©