3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Duffers were young once.  (Read 43776 times)

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Duffers were young once.
« Reply #400 on: June 01, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »
More clues later.  I really like this one though.  It's one of my favorites of Ben and Dad.
Louisiana deer camp (Spring Bayou) early 60's.

I can just hear Ben saying " This thing (Deadhead) is like a hand grenade....all ya gotta do is git close "

:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #401 on: June 01, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
Here's a series of pictures taken when we went to the World Longbow Championship shoot at the Howard Hill Archery club in Alabama in 1981. Before the shoot Jerry Hill took a bunch of us on a tour to see Howards home and afterwards to see all the Howard Hill memorabilia at Jerrys home.

Mrs Ben Pearson is standing next to Jerry in the center of the photo. I'm over on the left in shorts holding up a post.    

Howard set these post to hold his target bales. The wood was a little rotten so I put a piece in the bottom of my quiver for luck

At Jerrys place I'm holding one of Howards bows, "White Eagle", I could feel the Mojo    :D      

When I put on Howards glove I felt a warm sensation go up my arm. I remember saying, "I can feel Howard in this glove,.. I'm going to win this shoot tomorrow"

The next day we arrived at the shoot      
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #402 on: June 01, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
Dang, got goose bumps on that one Ron  :thumbsup: ....Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #403 on: June 01, 2005, 07:29:00 PM »
Here I am taking a long shot on the range with a bunch of onlookers. Pressure?....naw     "[dntthnk]"    

The results, the title of World Longbow Champion  1981....thanks Howard   ;)  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #404 on: June 01, 2005, 07:54:00 PM »
Another favorite of mine.  Dad giving Ben Jr. some pointers on instinctive shooting  :p    Just kidding  :)  Ben Jr. had the best teacher there was  :knothead:    :D  .....Van

Deer Camp South Arkansas (Between Eldorado and Hampton)

I love this country ;-)

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #405 on: June 01, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »
This has been the most enjoyable thread I have ever looked at on this site (or any other for that matter). Thanks Ron, Charlie Lamb, VanTx and all the others that have posted the great picts here. I have really enjoyed it.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #406 on: June 01, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »
Early in 1982 Nancy and I went on a trip and passed near Poplarville Mississippi where Bob Wesley lived at the time. I had never met Bob or even talked to him by phone but decided to stop by and say hi. I called from a pay phone in town and he said stay right where you are, I'll be right there. In a few minutes Bob showed up, we shook hands and he told me to follow him to his house. What started out to be a quick stop to say hi turned into a two day stay. Bob and his wife Fran were most gracious host and wouldn't take no for an answer when they ask us to spend the night.

After sleeping in the same bed as Howard Hill when he visited his friends the Wesleys we were treated to a fine southern breakfast then Bob took me to his private shooting course for a round of shooting. If I remember right I trounced him pretty good but Bob said he hadn't been shooting much lately. I told him about the Howard Hill shoot in Wilsonville Alabama and encouraged him to to come to the shoot that summer.

After we left Bob did some serious practicing and showed up at the World Champaionship shoot that year. No one was happier than I when Bob won the title in 1982. It couldn't have happened to a nicer gentleman. I haven't seen Bob for a number of years but we email on occasion and I still consider him a good friend.

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #407 on: June 01, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »
Great Stuff!!!!  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2005, 07:54:00 AM »
I think this one was spring of 1970. I was turkey hunting and found this snapper swimming down the creek. Shot from up on the bank and put the arrow through his shell.
I came back for him an hour later only to find him gone! Finally spotted my arrow (with binoculars) moving like a periscope down the creek a hundred yards away.
A blunt through the back of his head did the trick that time.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #409 on: June 02, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
Lots of hot springs flow from the hillsides along the Green river in Northwestern Wyoming. In an effort to capture it on film I took this photo and didn't do it justice.  :D  

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #410 on: June 02, 2005, 08:19:00 AM »
Boy, all this photos would make a great screensaver.   ;)      ;)

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #411 on: June 02, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
I've been going to Cloverdale now for 12 or 13 years, and every year I tell myself I'm gonna take a camera and every yr I find an excuse not to.  This thread has been the motivation I needed.

All of this is a link to the past history of the sport and all of us appreciate what you have done.

To Ron, Van, Charlie and others, thanks so much for documenting the past and for providing all of these incredible images.

Otto
Otto

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #412 on: June 02, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »
cool Ron
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #413 on: June 02, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »
Here's a shooting demonstration in the early 80's. That's me in the buckskin shirt doing the old foot shot. I learned how to do that years before when I broke my arm during hunting season and had to shoot with my foot if I wanted to hunt that year.   :)

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #414 on: June 02, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »
Ron,
   Who's the guy in the leather vest?? I remember seeing a video of you two shooting a speedround, you ran out of arrows and began shooting some of his  :readit:    :D    :thumbsup:

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #415 on: June 02, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
Raven,

That's Norm Blaker, unless I'm mistaken.

Stan

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #416 on: June 02, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
Thanks! Who is he?  :confused:

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #417 on: June 02, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »
Hey Charlie,

I think photobucket is trying to tell you something. Last two pics say Photobucket Bandwidth exceeded.LOL

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #418 on: June 02, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »
Raven,

If that is indeed Norm, then I'm going to wait until Ron, or somebody more knowledgable can chime in.  I know him only from the articles that he's written (the last I read was from a while back).  What I seem to remember about him was that he was a hardcore traditionalist, a bowyer, and a heckuva shot.

Stan

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #419 on: June 02, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »
Yeah Danny, they want money from me now! Hope this next one comes through.

It's a picture taken sometime in the mid 50's. In this group of real old timers is Earl Hoyt Jr. and Paul Jefferies. Founding fathers in this state.

Any guesses?

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©