3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Duffers were young once.  (Read 43768 times)

Offline Neil Reeves

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Duffers were young once.
« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »
Ron,

On the cover of "Traditional Bowhunter" what kind of bow do you have there?  It looks really short.  At first I thought maybe it was just the cant, but I think it's just really short.

And if I'm making it out in the pic, it's from a '93 issue?

Neil
Neil

Offline leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: June 08, 2005, 04:01:00 AM »
this thread has sewn together a lot of lives and memories.it has stirred my memoreis of days gone by with friends and family.some of wich are still here and some of wich are gone but never forgotten.thanks for this thread we need more like it.
leonard

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: June 08, 2005, 07:05:00 AM »
What treasures have been posted here!!!
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: June 08, 2005, 08:14:00 AM »
Neil, That's a 62" yew wood flatbow made by John Strunk from Oregon. It was a beautiful little bow backed with diamondback skins. I was shooting self nocked flint tipped cedars and the back quiver is wolverine skin. The picture was taken early in the morning along Armstrong Creek near my hunting camp in the U.P. in the fall of 92. That's a little snow on the ground.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Olebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: June 08, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »
Well said Leonard, and I certainly agree!  I hope the younger members enjoy and remember it for it is there heritage too!

Wow, what memories.  Glad I made lots of them, cause no one can take them from ya.

My sincere thanks to all of ya who have all this old and interesting stuff and have shared it with all the rest of us.
Sincerely,  Olebow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: June 09, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »
Well it looks like things are winding down. Charlie, Van, and others haven't posted for awhile. I guess all good things must come to an end. I've had fun with this and I hope everyone else has too.

I'd like to thank Rob of Trad Gang administration for his help. He probably cussed me a few times for the work I caused him.    :rolleyes:   Also my web guy Brian Cole did a lions share to make it possible for me to post these pictures.

Here's a picture of Brian. He's the little guy between G Fred and I.    :p  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: June 09, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »
I really enjoyed this thread as well. I supposed I've learned to start recording more of todays moments because of watching this thread. I have always liked the Armstrong Creek pic. It has become a historic pic that will surely span many more generations. Id like to see a close-up of that Tat on your left shoulder Ron. Please post one more pic. Thanks. Hope to share a hunting camp sometime Ron. Till then thanks for the pics. Curtis

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: June 09, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »
Thanks for all the pics, this has been the BEST thread so far!!  :wavey:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: June 09, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »
Great thread and sure did enjoy it.  Let's see the tat Ron...Please????

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: June 09, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »
If that's the end of it THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!  You guys wasted not your time sharing your memories and treasures from the past.  there are many of us out here who hope to experience only a fraction of what some of you have.

Kyle
WWJD

Offline WaKeDa BT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: June 09, 2005, 03:04:00 PM »
I, personally, would like to see this thread archived in a forum called the Heritage collection or something like that. Don't know anything about adding a forum but if ever a topic deserved its own this one does. A heartfelt thank you to all the contributors here.
"Shoot'em when they ain't lookin"

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: June 09, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »
Yep, we definately need to save this one for posterity. Thank you all for the trip back in time with you.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: June 09, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »
For you guys that wanted to see a closeup of my skin art, here it is.

"Spirit Bear"  

"The Grizzly Bear is a symbol of great strength and stamina. It was traditionally a sign of an Indian man's courage if he battled with a bear and emerged victorious. The Grizzly is an elder spirit, here before us, and from whom we can learn much. The bear paw is a symbol of good fortune."

Offline High Plains bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: June 09, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »
Ron,

You continue to gain my respect and admiration. I have always felt a connection to the native American peoples. I have had a fascination with them and their way of life. On top of that connection to you I am also a lefty as you are.  I will forever be indebted to you for your contributions to archery and bowhunting.  I hope to someday own one of your fine bows. Again thank you.

Matt

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: June 09, 2005, 07:05:00 PM »
where can i get a subscriptio to that buckskinner mag ? i believe i'd like it.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: June 09, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: June 09, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »
Ron, great thread.  Thanks.  Probably the most responses of any thread on the site since it started. I may have a few more old pics to post just have to dig 'em up, scan 'em and post 'em   :wavey:  ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: June 09, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »
We'll keep comin'back for more, Van, and all...
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: June 10, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »
Old Duffers! Old Duffers! Old Duffers! Old Duffers!  :bigsmyl:  Just trying to keep her alive  :D  Hope it helps, this is my #1 thread to check everyday a few times at that.  :)  ...........Raven

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: June 12, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »
Here's a old picture I've had for years of a bowhunter in Michigan. Any old car buff's that know the year and make of the car?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©