3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Duffers were young once.  (Read 43764 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Duffers were young once.
« Reply #480 on: June 12, 2005, 08:10:00 AM »
A buckskin clad hunter with his flintlock squirrel gun and a mess of good eating. That couldn't be me because the beard isn't white.   ;)

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #481 on: June 12, 2005, 08:43:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  ........Raven

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #482 on: June 12, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »
Ron,
Really cool pics! Keep them coming.  I love them!
L8r
Gary
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #483 on: June 13, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »
Ron, this last B&W photo, I don't know who it is, but, he sure looks familiar.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #484 on: June 14, 2005, 02:41:00 AM »
Ron,

Do not know the year, but is that a Kaiser/Frazier?

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline redruger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #485 on: June 14, 2005, 02:49:00 AM »
You guys are awesome!!!  I wish I had photos to send.  I have a ton of 70-80's photos but the EX has them!!!
Give them the Shaft

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #486 on: June 14, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »
Danny, I used to know but I forgot. (forgetting is a common thing as you get older)     :o  

Here's the crew of modern day Voyagers in the early 70's just back from a weeks trip in a 26' North Canoe along the north shore of Lake Superior. It was over 100 miles  of wilderness shoreline on the treacherous Lake noted for it's sudden storms. At one point we passed about 5 miles of sheer bluffs with no place to beach if a storm came up. For the most part things went fine except for one day as we were crossing a wide inlet, a storm blew in and we barely made the shore. The canoe was surfing on the whitecaps and it was pretty hairy for awhile.

This was a reenactment excursion so no modern stuff like matches, plastic, or   life preservers  were allowed on the trip.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline The Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #487 on: June 14, 2005, 10:49:00 AM »
Hi Ron, please correct me but was't "Voyagers" French Free Trappers. I liked the mounain men magazenes and often bemoaned the fact that we did not have something simmular here in South Africa.
Today is for ever tomorrow is just one of yesterday's dreams

Offline frankb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #488 on: June 22, 2005, 07:11:00 PM »
Eyes are ready to bleed... but I still want to read more!

Breath taking... amazing... awe inspiring... I could go on for days... but I'd rather sit back and read a little more.

Thanks again for these posts!

-Frank
"Until we meet again, may the Great Spirit make sunrise in your heart." ~Author Unknown~

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #489 on: June 22, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »
What bowhunter hasn't dreamed of Alaska. I made this trip for Caribou several years ago. Loved the hunt, but got really tired of the river.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #490 on: June 22, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »
Not such an old photo... desert cottontail taken in Montana.

I have these little lists of stuff I've shot or would like to. On the rabbit list are eastern cottontail, mountain cottontail, desert cottontail, snowshoe hare and whitetail jackrabbit.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #491 on: June 23, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »
Charlie, I just can't see me riding an air raft with sharp pointy objects.  A canoe?  Yeah.  Air raft?  Hmm.  I know it's fairly common, but, I've been known to "oops" from time to time.    :smileystooges:    "[nope]"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #492 on: June 23, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »
Dutchman,

Of the early European explorers, the French were the ones that traveled the northern regions by river in bark canoes. The were mostly traders and trappers, some living with the indians taking a native wife.

The Voyageurs on the other hand were canoe paddlers, hired by the fur companys to freight trade goods and return with loads of fur. The canoes they used on the rivers were called North Canoes and were about 26' long made of birch bark. Even larger canoes were used on the Great Lakes. The French Voyageur was a hardy indivivual that could paddle and portage around falls and rapids all day long fueled by a bowl of gruel made of peas and salt pork.

This is a picture of a painting done by a lady artist who had snapped the shot of me at Fort Michamackinaw in the early 70's. I was there to participate in a North Canoe race in front of the fort. I didn't know she took the picture until she sent me a picture of the painting. I bought the painting and it now hangs in my mothers house.

Offline Donavan Daniel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #493 on: June 23, 2005, 07:01:00 PM »
That is so cool! What a fantastic painting and very neat to not even know about it till it was done!

Fantastic thread!

Cheers,
Donavan

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #494 on: June 28, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »
This thread is still going?   :p     I found an old photo that I like.  It's about 41 years old I believe.  

Story behind it -  Late November 1964, Ruston, La at the local airport (tiny airport).  Ben Pearson and his long-time photographer Jack Adkins fly in from Pine Bluff Arkansas in Ben's Piper Cub (Ben is the pilot) to hopefully get some film of Ben shooting a Buck the next day.  My Dad and I had scouted out a place a few miles from the house a few days before and hoped that the deer would cooporate.

The weather turned bad but we got set up a bit after daylight the next day.  Ben was in a pine tree sitting in a tree stand that swiveled 360 degrees around the trunk.  He designed and built it but it was just a prototype at the time.  Jack was set up in a tree a few yards away.

Me and Dad gave them plenty of room and hunted a couple of hundred yards away in a pine thicket.

After several hours we went to check on 'em.  No shots fired, no deer seen by anyone that day.  On a tight schedule they had to return to Pine Bluff the next morning as I recall.  Ben left that tree stand at our house.  I have no idea what happened to it.  It was something else.  Hindsight is 20/20   :knothead:      :knothead:  

From left to right is Jack Atkins (Ben's photographer), Jeff Lane (local hardware store owner that stocked Ben Pearson products), Me, Ben Pearson, Dad, Red Reeves (hunting buddy of Ben and Dad), and the 2 guys on the right I can't recall who they were.  Probably local civic leaders of the small town.   :D   ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #495 on: June 28, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
Ron, you are right-the lady that painted that is an artist!

Van, I really have enjoyed the pics of you, your dad, and Ben Pearson.  Maybe I've missed it, but how did your(and your dad's) association begin with Mr Pearson?  

Keep them coming!

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #496 on: June 28, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »
Ron, The painting is really great!

whats that old saying...something like born hundreds too late..   :D  

Mo.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #497 on: June 28, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »
Jeff, my Dad started a kids archery club in 1960.  He wanted to expand and set up a NFAA 28 target field round to host shoots state wide.  Since Ben Pearson was "Archery" at that time he called him up for help.  Ben flew down, laid out a field range (no charge).  They became close friends from that first meeting and hunted together every year until Ben went to a better place.  I'll post a pic of the kids archery club members later   :wavey: ....Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #498 on: June 29, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »
And here is the Archery club.  These were grade school kids.  I was a bit older and didn't shoot balloons any more    :thumbsup:   .....Van

I love this country ;-)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #499 on: June 29, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »
those were some good ole days........
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement