3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Duffers were young once.  (Read 43651 times)

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Duffers were young once.
« Reply #580 on: March 23, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
I'd also like to hear more about Mr. Garske.To look like he did (longhair)back then had to be taboo. Leland

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #581 on: March 24, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
I have searched and searched, but could not find any old photos. I had some of squirrles taken when I was young and of a bobcat I took about 20 years ago, but cannot find them. I do have this from a couple of years ago.

"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #582 on: March 25, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
Let's keep this going. TTT
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #583 on: March 25, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
Great facts Gene thanks that's amazing.When I first saw the pics I said to myself man the guy looks like me the year I graduated High School 1930's wow he was truely a rare breed.

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #584 on: March 25, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Ijust spent my whole sat morning going thru this thread for the first time and boy was it worth every minute.I just wish there were another 41 pages
I now have a new group of "duffers" to look up to.Thanks for sharing your past
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline Jim M

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #585 on: March 26, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
more please! absolutely the best thread ever

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #586 on: March 27, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
ttt

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #587 on: June 15, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
I just sat for another hour and looked at every pic again.  Awesome.

Anyone that missed this, check out every page.

History.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #588 on: June 15, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I was definately a duffer growing up,dad is still convinced i am,just the word duffer triggered some very happy memories of me and my dad for me.Iam a dad myself now and hope my little duffer smarts up,lol.

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #589 on: June 15, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
WOW !!!!
Great post Ron   :thumbsup:  

Thanks to everyone for sharing..  :clapper:

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #590 on: June 16, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
ttt
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #591 on: June 16, 2008, 05:07:00 AM »
Frank Garske...fair dinkum! I do hope you write a book about this fellow, Gene.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #592 on: June 16, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
Since this thread's been revived....here's another story from the 70's

I call this one the "Miracle  buck". I stalked him late one afternoon by cover of the corn as he fed out in the hay field. When I got within range I stepped to the edge of the corn and put an arrow through him with my 85# HH Big Five. The shot was a little far back and zipped right through him. He ran a short distance,stopped and looked around trying to figure out what stung him. Then he dropped. As I approached him he tried to get up but fell back down. I decided not to shoot him again and backed off and headed out to get the truck and drive back and get him. I was sure he'd be expired by then......WRONG!..When I got back he was GONE! I found a faint blood trail that I followed down the center of the hay field until it got dark and I decided to come back in the morning to continue the tracking job. Another wrong decision because it rained that night washing out all the little sign there was.

I figured he had gone into the corn field as it was the closest cover, so I went into the field to look for him. I knew he had to be dead and I didn't want him to go to waste. This was one of those huge corn fields that was from road to road and the chances of finding a dead deer in it was like finding a needle in a hay stack.

I crossed the field by waking cross rows looking up and down each row with binoculars, the same as I do when I hunt the corn fields on windy days. After criss-crossing the corn a couple time I realized the futility of my efforts and stopped  to try and figure a better way to find my buck. I've always found that at those times when I'm at my wits end ,  If I ask the man upstairs for advice, many times he'll point me in the right direction. This time when I said "Lord, I could use some help if you've got the time.", he told me to go home and get my wife and kids to help  in the search. With that in mind I struck out at an angle through the corn in the direction of my truck. After covering a couple hundred yards  through the thick corn, I suddenly walked right to my buck in that maze. I was astounded, I couldn't believe my luck...then I realized it wasn't luck  and I said, "Thank you Lord"

The lessons learned that day was #1...NEVER walk away from a live deer, and #2 Never be afraid to ask for a little help.   :readit:  

This little 4 pointer may not be a trophy to be mounted by some peoples standards, but non the less, he looks down at me in my living room as a constant reminder of the lessons learned that day.        

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #593 on: June 16, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
GREAT THREAD! Thanks to all who contributed  :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #594 on: June 16, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
This is the best thread ever created on TG!
   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Rubiolio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #595 on: June 16, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the great photos and stories. Made me late for work 2 days in a row :-)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #596 on: June 16, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Hands down, one of the best threads on this entire site. Can't begin to tell how many times I come back here and let it all just sink in...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #597 on: June 16, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
Ron you look like Grizzly Adams !
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #598 on: June 16, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Wow,....Just Wow!
I am soon to be 49, and have only in the last year come back to trad shooting. So much has changed since I picked up the compound in the late '70s,...carbon arrows, so many new and fantastic bowyers, high priced camo and ghillie suits, atv's, two way radios, gps, trail cameras, QDM, and I am not bashing the new stuff at all, but this thread has been a walk back into my youth when I watched Curt Gowdy with Fred Bear on TV,and all I wanted to do was hunt with a bow.
Ron LaClair's atv was a canoe in the snow! Now that is what I dreamed of doing all of my life!
I really enjoy learning all of the precise ways to tune arrows and set them up for perfect flight,
but this thread has convinced me to not make it too complicated!
Shoot a strong enough bow, with well tuned arrows, with sharp broadheads.....and then just ENJOY!
Great Pics! and thank all of you for sharing, made me feel 14 again reading "Outdoor Life True Adventures" or watching "American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy" with my dad.
So many of these pics you all have shared look like the pictures I saw in hunting magazines when I was young and really made me proud to come back to trad shooting,
Love ya all!
Thanks again and can't wait to see more,
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #599 on: June 16, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
When I was younger and gooder lookin.    :goldtooth:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©