3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Duffers were young once.  (Read 43837 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Duffers were young once.
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »
And here's one from the 80's for Sparta   :D  

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »
here's another from the 80's. That's my 82# Big Five... not only can I not draw that bow from THAT position, I can barely draw it from any position. Not to mention I can't squat like that anymore either!

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2005, 10:47:00 AM »
Don't know if I qualify as an Old Duffer yet, I'll be 56 next week. Here's the oldest photo I can find on short notice of me with a bow.

My son turned 26 a couple days ago so I would guess 1982. Yes that bow has wheels - it would be several years before I switched back to the bows of my youth and today. That 1979 Jennings grew attachments yearly until it looked like the Starship Enteprise and was permanently parked.

Many deer later, I can still recall the shot and watching that deer run full speed 10 yards, stop and look around, stagger and then leap sidways 20 feet and lay dead. Clean pass trough 2016 with Savora Wasp head.

Offline Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »
Great thread Ron!  Did you wear an arm guard with those buck skins on?  With my luck if I were to take a shot with those fringes, I would end up tying myself up in the middle of the bush.  LOL

Skinner

PS. That SS Gold I picked up at Kzoo is a real nice shooter.  Thanks again for building such a great product.
"Who's shooting the girly bow?" - My wife Vicki's comment to one of my X-bow hunting buddies.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
Skinner,

Yes I wore an armguard and had the fring trimmed short on my bow arm. Maybe you can see it in the picture. Being a lefty my right arm is my bow arm.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »
Here's a 1980 picture with my 75# Yew English longbow. Hunting with that bow was like trying to fish brook trout with a cane pole.   :D

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »
I'm thinking someone should print all of these in a special issue magazine. Neat stuff!

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
I swear, I think John Nail still has that hat !! (the one with the birds and shotgun)
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2005, 12:53:00 PM »
Just like a Ferret to start out on rabbits.  :D  

This is just waaaay too cool guys.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »
Ron could have been the actor double for the Grizzly Adams t.v. show, although I don't think Ron's kill it/grill it/wear it style would have fit in with the animal lover mentality of that show.

Cool pictures. I have a "slim" version of myself with my first deer back in 1978 when I was a senior in highschool. I'll scan it and ad to the collection.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »
I know this isn't a bow picture but I thought it might be of interest. This was taken in 1951. It's my first deer, a nice 8pt. I was 15 (quick do the math)   :D  The car is my dad's 1948 Nash

Offline Blaine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »
It doesn't bother me to see pictures with wheels and guns in this thread.  Makes me realize that whatever the method, we are all sports men and women.  Gotta stick together.  Thanks for the thread.
"at some point, technology becomes not just an aid, but instead a substitute for woodsmanship."   Aldo Leopold

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
This is the best thread I've ever seen!  Thanks for sharing the pics and stories.  That's what it's all about.
justin ammons

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »
Dang, we didn't have any deer in '51, much less a deer season  :saywhat:    :thumbsup:  ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
Ron,

I can see Gene Wensels response already. "That's not ham hands, his fingers are too skinny!"
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2005, 02:41:00 PM »
Very cool pictures guys! I did not get into archery till 1997 and the started traditional about 5 years ago so not a lot of history/pictures. Being born in 1959 I sure do enjoy those BW photos. Reminds me of growing up in the early 60's. I think we got a color TV in 1970. I remember the old Polaroid cameras. Those were high tech back then. LOL

Keep em coming!
Bill
Aim Small

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2005, 03:06:00 PM »
Sure is a great thread. Great idea Ron.

The first picture of me with a bow I was 9 years old...

The picture was in color and the bow had wheels    :bigsmyl:
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline WaKeDa BT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2005, 03:09:00 PM »
Very neat thread. Thanks guys for sharing so many of your memories with us.
"Shoot'em when they ain't lookin"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2005, 04:21:00 PM »
I talked to Gene Wensel on the phone this morning and ask him if he could post some pictures. He said he had sent most of his old pictures to the person that is building their web site  www.brothersofthebow.com   He said he didn't know how to post pictures anyway. I explained how to do it and he said, "right click?...how do you right click?" ...   :knothead: ..    "[redneck]"    "[tunglaff]"

Offline albertakid

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2005, 05:20:00 PM »
Awesome Post Love the Pics!!!!!

Thanks
"One shot one kill"

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©