3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confused by arrow penetration!!!!!!!!!  (Read 542 times)

Offline BACKSTRAP

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Confused by arrow penetration!!!!!!!!!
« on: December 31, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
Guys I am totally puzzled by what has happened today.  I was setting up an old green Kodiak Hunter for my son.  The specs are 60" 48#@28 and at my draw of 29" is a bit more.  I have it set up to shoot 30" 2016 with taper insert and 135gr Magnus I.  I have the broadheads hair poppin sharp and was tryin them out.  Some thief stole my broadhead target so I thought I would use one of our Morrell bags for the test thinkin that the arrows would be a cinch to pull out.  Well to my extreme shock and surprise the 1st shot from 15 yards blew completely through and skipped out another 20 yards behind.  :confused:  Well I retrieved the arrow and for the next 15 to 20 shots I got the same result.  Now with the bag full of holes and ruined I thought I would try the same test with the bow I have used this season.  It is a 68" Bamboo Longhunter and the specs are 82#@29" set up and perfectly tuned with 29.5 2219 with tapered insert and 190gr El Grande Grizzlys Hair poppin sharp.  I used this combo this year on hogs and deer and the arrows just blew through everything it hit....that is until the Morrell bag?????From 15yrds the arrows only penetrated to where the tip was visible under the back of the target.  Now I have left helical fletch and always have and I know the griz really needs right helical per all the tests, but THIS REALLY STUNNED ME.  Oh both bows have D500 mountain muffler strings.  Let me know what you think on it.
"BACKSTRAP"

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confused by arrow penetration!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
The broad head on the 2016 is bigger than the shaft diamiter, there fore it opened the hole to let the shaft slide through.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
I can't be of much help, cause I am as confused as you are, thats weird.  I would'nt think that shaft diameter would have had that much impact.

just plain weird
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
I am wondering if those 2219's are flying as well as you think they are?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
Nope. Grizzlies SPIN when they enter the target, they wrap up the material inside your bag and that renders them unable to penetrate...but that same problem works wonders on soft tissue.

Don't sweat it....your stuff is the bomb.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
Ray sounds right to me. Go test on some live critters. I bet both do their job. shawn
Shawn

Offline BACKSTRAP

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
JBiorn, I can bareshaft out to 30 yards with the 2219s and both fletched and bare shafts hit where I am looking.  Thanks for the input guys.  I know the grizzlys and MIs are great on game I have had great results with both.
"BACKSTRAP"

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
What Ray said.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Ray may be onto something...but I'm also curious. Did you alter the tip on the grizzly or is it pretty much as issued? The grizzly's point has flats and blunt angles-not a big thing and not something that stops tissue penetration cold but just right to drag on target stuffing whereas  the Magnus has a tiny tip profile which can wedge and slice through the same material.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 02:28:00 AM »
seems some guy on another site was testing on a dead cow-got one of those?
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Not to hijack the thread but I did not realize people use bag targets for broadheads. Do many people do this?

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
Broadheads are really hard on bag targets.  The targets work well with target/field points by the stuffing wadding up in front of the point, stopping the arrow and allowing the easy arrow pull that we all love bag targets for.  Broadheads not only cut up the bag, but a good cutting tip like the magnus will also cut its way thru the stuffing.  I'd guess that maybe the point on the Griz wasn't as sharp, allowing the stuffing to wad up a bit; just a guess.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
you will know its the spin when you attempt to remove the head from the bag...you will not be able to pull it straight out..you have to twist it to remove it...that's the voice of experience speaking
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Couple thoughts for me,Ray is correct,as that shaft and broadhead spin they lose energy or penatrateing power on your sack or a critters sack for that matter... is that a word??? They cut quite good on flesh to a certin point.Those other heads may be just plain cutting thru the sack.But again is the arrow spine to stiff or to soft for the long bow and you are getting all kinds of arrow wobble also causeing loss of enegry????? Or is the old hunter just plain shooting them straighter getting more energy ??? Just asking????? Also above mentioned big ferrule small diameter shaft.The good old boy's always used that method to hopefuly get full penatratation..smaller shaft then broadhead ferrule to prevent shaft drag and a noc end smaller then the shaft to prevent noc drag.One more thought should a guy be shooting 4 straight fletch to keep the shaft from spinning but cause more wind plaining,well spinning to much.Or is the helical spinning shaft more forgiving.Just asking?????? Hi Ray...bd

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Wow, I was just thinking the packing in the target was denser in some spots than in others.  Foolish me and my simple mind!  :D

My homemade bag target gets soft spots, where the same arra will get stopped one time but a small distance away will sail through it.

Best of luck!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©