INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: building a great traditional shoot/rendezvous  (Read 5154 times)

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
building a great traditional shoot/rendezvous
« on: May 19, 2003, 02:11:00 PM »
Okay everyone, let's say we are going to build the perfect trad shoot/rendezvous. What would you be sure and do to ensure it would be fun for all and what would you want to avoid ? List your pet ideas and pet peeves. I mean things like type of terrain, classes and equipment rules for each, even down to the toilet facilities (which one person told me was the reason few ladies attend at Robin Hood).
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: building a great traditional shoot/rendezvous
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 02:36:00 PM »
Joel . great question , I will have to give this some thought....But JUNE 7 & 8th there going to be dang good shoot in Baton Rouge and the reason is our club members . You need to have growth locally Last year we had maybe 50 or 60 members , we have 158 now a present..and we all pitch in and get it  done ...but on the scale ur talking , you would have to run ads, and with everyone of us on this site doing something it could be great. All of yall that come to THE REAL THING..JUNE 7 & 8th we can discuss this idea. Oh yeah we need have special thanks to sponsors , they make it all possible. Mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 03:07:00 PM »
The best traditional shoot I have ever been to is the Hawkey Bowman in Alden, NY.  This year it is August 15th, 16th and 17th.  I am not a member of the club so this is a non-biased opinion.

Here is what I think makes it great:

1. They people who run the shoot understand they are competeing for your traditional dollar and they treat the people who come like customers not like they are doing you a favor by putting on a shoot.

2. The courses are extreamly creative. They have moving targets, tree stand shots, blind shots, up hill, down hill, and level. Many of the setups have multiple targets to add to the realisim.  Some targets (elk, turkey and pig) even have sound.

To give you an example of the attention to detail on the kids course (sticky critters) they took the time to mound dirt around the base of the ground squirrel targets to make them look like they were in a hole.

3. One price for as much shooting as you want. Multiple courses so you have a variety of courses.

4.  Kids shoot free This demonstrates to the adults your clubs commitment to the future.

5. One other thing to mention keep the potties clean.  My wife likes to shoot too and it is hard enough to get her to use a porta john let alone a dirty or full one (i.e. Denton Hill)

I guess to sum it up for me. Treat me like a customer and guest and keep the shooting creative.

Hope that helps.
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 03:13:00 PM »
meathook , good post...You need to make it down south , most of the ones we go to down here are just as you describe isnt that great!! Mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 05:12:00 PM »
Honestly, I don't think I could do better than the CTB Rendezvous. Lots of vendors, camping, seminars, four courses ranging from short to long, good food, air conditioned restroom facilities, and GREAT novelties.

I shrugged at the thought of a noncompetitive shoot, until I went to Berrien Springs last year. Now, if I could only go to one shoot a year, it'd be that one.

Offline Douglas DuRant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 09:42:00 PM »
The shoot should also be vendor friendly since lots of vendors are a draw for the shoot.

I too like creative targets. Robin Hood use to have a charging boar, a flying turkey, a hog running in the ditch, and the buck chasing the doe were you have to shoot both.

Novelty targets make for added excitment. The pop up targets are fun, the ariel targets with flu flus are great to watch and shoot. Always like the 150 yard elk shot.

Maybe vendors could be encourage to handle the different novelty shoots and make a portion of the procedes.

Fresh food is also a plus.

Timed so as not to conflict with other popular shoots or sports events.

The restrooms are a good point.

The frist place winners names craved in granite is a great idea, and a draw for many shooters.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 09:05:00 AM »
I see a lot of things coming up over and over throughout everyone's posts---which is exactly what I was looking for. We're seriously planning to put together a primo trad shootin the near future, particularly if the Southeastern goes away, and the more information we can gather the better we can make it. Keep 'em coming. I'd also like to hear from some of the folks who don't go to the shoots as to what we might do that would get them to come.
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 10:14:00 AM »
Good thread, keep those suggestions coming because we want to hear what you like and don't like. There are so many Traditional shoots today that it's hard to draw from other than local folks and even harder to entice dealers to travel a great distance.

I was involved in putting on the early Great Lakes Longbow events in Michigan back in the mid 80's when there were no other big traditional gatherings. How times have changed. Almost every state now has a traditional event of some kind and it's getting tougher and tougher to put on a shoot and give people something that they don't have right in their own area.

I agree with all that has been said so far, people like to shoot and they like creative targets. Don't forget the kids, you need to make it as enjoyable for them as for Mom and Dad. Clean toilet facilities are a must and also showers if possible. Seminars are a good thing also and if it is a new slant on an old subject so much the better. New and different seminars on interesting topics would be great if that is possible.

3D shooting doesn't have to be competitive but some kind of competitive novelty shooting is fun to do and also fun for spectators.

I'm looking forward to Comptons 3rd annual Traditional Rendezvous on june 20-22nd at Berrien Springs, Michigan. It has all the things I've mentioned including the cooking contest, Blanket trading, and you'e got to see those tolite units they have brought in. They're huge trailers with air condition, piped in music, stalls plus urinals (on the mens side, don't know what's on the ladies side) You'll think your in the restroom of a fancy hotel.    :)   www.comptontraditional.com
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 12:11:00 PM »
Joel,

It was great to meet you at Elberton this weekend.  There were others there that I heard about that I didn't meet, but I enjoyed it.

I will use Elberton to show two ways to ensure a great time is had by all.

1.  Have camping facilities on-site.

2.  Have room for as many vendors as want to attend (within reason I suppose).  I think Elberton would draw more people if they didn't limit the vendors to 20.

Having said that, there were a bunch of friendly folk at Elberton and my son and I had  a great time.  

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 12:12:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 12:13:00 PM »
If I may, I'd add a few thoughts:

Regarding toilet facities; I wonder if a simple shade device, even a tarp with poles, couldn't be placed over a "bank" of job johnies to keep them from baking in the open sun?  Nothing like going into one of them puppies and it's nearly 100 degrees inside, whether they're "cleaned" regularly or not...

Camping also comes to mind.  Camping out should/can be a quality experience.  Some shoots I've attended post rules regarding pets on leash, noise after certain hours, day-shooter parking areas, etc, but then seemingly do little to enforce the rules...  

Left to their own devices, late comers sometimes seem to exercise poor consideration for others and literally park in your lap and set up camp.  Some shoots actually lay-out a camping area and if you're going to be late, you either have to "ask" politely if you may be allowed to crash another's established site or make plans with others to allow you to come into their set-up when you get there.  

Having adequate camping area to house all those who pay to camp becomes an increasingly important issue as shoots grow in popularity.  When that doesn't happen, the hassle factor sets in and it seems shoots start to decline...  may be a correlation...

In review: Something to help keep the toilet facilities in the shade and the camping experience a positive one would fit within the overall concept of organizing a good shoot.

Thanks...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 03:14:00 PM »
What is the "official" view across the board regarding folks who want to shoot carbon arrows? Seems there is a lot of controversy going around..Maybe totally separate recurve/carbon, longbow/carbon classes? I don't see how this could offend anyone...also, I agree with the point of not making the shooters feel as if they were being done a favor by those hosting the shoot...A BIG plus-don't crowd the vendors, especially if they're indoors..if it rains, there's a log jam problem...had this happen last year at what was otherwise a very nice shoot. MrsMike

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 03:15:00 PM »
What is the "official" view across the board regarding folks who want to shoot carbon arrows? Seems there is a lot of controversy going around..Maybe totally separate recurve/carbon, longbow/carbon classes? I don't see how this could offend anyone...also, I agree with the point of not making the shooters feel as if they were being done a favor by those hosting the shoot...A BIG plus-don't crowd the vendors, especially if they're indoors..if it rains, there's a log jam problem...had this happen last year at what was otherwise a very nice shoot. MrsMike

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 03:53:00 PM »
You could have a wood arrow longbow class and anything else shoots in recurve class. Seems to work around here.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003, 04:24:00 PM »
Mike, one of the club/ranges has for the last couple of years been exploring the carbon arrow/trad bow situation. One point that the club president made to me was that carbon arrows destroy the expensive 3-D targets. I beleive that is more common when they are shot from compounds but have noticed when shooting them at home that they can be very difficult to pull even when shot from 50# stickbows.

The other concern on the part of some was that we'd have too many classes. Maybe we should entertain more questions and comments on this issue so we get a real feel for it

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2003, 04:28:00 PM »
Wow...I'd forgotten all about scoring and competition! Seems that there are some very distinct feelings about whether to have competition and prizes or not among some posters.

I was surprised this year to learn from my reading on these forums how many shoots have real competition!  I go to several shoots in the East in PA, MD, NJ, and never even saw a score card!  I was amazed that this is really a big doins for some folks.

It would appear that in order to suit everyone, there should be a chance to compete or not?  If you wants to, pays yer entry fee and have at a trophy. If you shoot to enjoy, then don't compete and pay the entry fee?  Would that work?  I'll let you all competitors wrangle out that carbon vs. wood, vs. alum. issues!  Whoooie.   :eek:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Twang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2003, 06:05:00 PM »
Mike,

I go to 3D tournaments for a variety reasons, but one of the most important ones is: it is good practice for hunting.  For that reason, I would like to be able to practice with my hunting set up rather than using aluminum or wood, and still be able to enjoy competing with others.  That means carbon.  

Why not an "open category" with any type trad bow and any type arrow?  This might open up and make these shoots more appealing to an evergrowing segment.   :thumbsup:  

As far as tournaments, one of my favorites and a very popular one was the Howard Hill in Alabama.  I'll never forget that charging elephant and that 12' tall grizzly!  Some unusual/fun targets make a shoot worth the travel.   :)
Twang[/i]
          "Archery Happens!"       :bigsmyl:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2003, 07:15:00 PM »
Twangg,,xactly! I am practicing not competing,don't have too many ten-rings on the critters I chase,,Mike

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2003, 09:15:00 PM »
Well if it's shoot what ya brung and only keep score if you want you don't have to have any classes or equipment rules. I think most guys like to shoot and compete with their buds. That's what we do even if it is a formal competition. We ask the sign up people to write void by our names so that they know we aren't going to turn in cards so it doesn't hold up the trophy process.

Other than that what everyone else has mentiond, treat me with respect, set an interesting course, have a decent place for me to pitch my tent, some shade about and a good, reasonably priced refreshment area. Oh yea clean Johns help too.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2003, 09:26:00 AM »
Twang, the open class idea sounds like a good one and should eliminate the too many classes concerns. As far as I know, all the shoots around here allow you to shoot without competing, you're always welcome to just not keep score. I don't know that it's practical to forego charging those who aren't keeping score--you still have land lease and target costs and whatever it costs to develop good range/camping/restroom facilities. Maybe a reduced cost for those who aren't shooting for trophies ?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©