INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: pony bow  (Read 7918 times)

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: pony bow
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2003, 10:00:00 PM »
Mailma'am...when ya mounted the stone point on your avatar, was it set in pitch? (I cant remember, I know you said once) I collected a batch of pine sap this evening and was thinking of trying to make pitch for the arrows. ifn so, what was the recipe?
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2003, 10:00:00 PM »
I tried to solve one of those rubic cubits one time..durn near impossible      :knothead:  

So how long are we saying a pony bow can be? Less than 60?, less than 50"?

Timo I agree on 1 1/4 MAX more like 7/8-1 1/8 on width! I like em around an inch and the handle 7/8" wide by about 3/4-7/8" deep.

The -glad he ain't on no board that decides this stuff-Ferret
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2003, 10:05:00 PM »
Holee smokes!
I was just sitting here speechless.

I guess I should get on the stick about making some arras for this. It will be my first no-glass bow. I gotta get hopping about the stone points I'll need, too. This will take some major energy.

So what do you need, Rsuty?

Killdeer

Osage, yet!
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2003, 10:10:00 PM »
....--..--.---Roger that Mickey.

Lets say anything under 3  cubits!!!!

There, an un-executive decesion   :bigsmyl:  

(legend)--..--..-...= morse code

18"         =cubit
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2003, 10:15:00 PM »
Hey Killdeer,You knapp your own points?
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2003, 10:18:00 PM »
Timo funny you should say that about morse code, Dianne and I had a western on TV today and in the telegraph office it goes click, clickety click click click for like 2 seconds and the guy is writing it down, he turns and says "the message says, for you to take the 5 oclock train eastbound and hop off about a mile out of town and he'll meet you there" and I said to Dianne "do you know how long that message would take to type out and translate in morse code 1 letter at a time? Not 2 seconds, more like 5 minutes" ha ha
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2003, 10:23:00 PM »
Calvin,
That one I think was set in Elmer's carpenter glue, a convenient substitute for hide glue. For pitch, I just used something already in a can, so I don't have a formula yet for the raw stuff. The pitch I had was black, already mixed with powdered charcoal.

Heck, I don't even have a formula for the waterproofing pitch mix, I just add grease 'til it looks and spreads right. Now I can't find the old black pitch provider anymore, but picked up a can of unmixed stuff at a meet a year or two ago. Will be messing with it when I get some stone heads in.

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2003, 11:30:00 PM »
Killdeer...Matt E and Splinter know about these things...I will go back and re-look up what I have already been told. I am going to figure this out, too. there is one thing I got access...pine trees! I KNEW there had to be sumpthing here related to this somehow!!!

on the edge of the treelines where pipelines run through the trees...there is hundreds of thousands of machine damaged trees just clogged up with sap. and there is pipelines running absolutly EVERYWHERE in this province.
...gosh this is hard.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2003, 08:02:00 AM »
Sounds like you will have the pine pitch market cornered very soon, you old tycoon! Can we start buying shares?

Somehow I have got to organize all the info I have worked with over the years. I tend to read, experiment and apply, then go on to something else. When it's time to do the first thing again I usually end up reinventing it. What have I done? Lots. What do I know? Arrghhh. It's hard going through life with no room on the hard disk.  :smileystooges:  

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2003, 01:39:00 PM »
killdeer, you can get an 80 GIG HD(that is huge) for less than 200 bucks INSTALLED here. thats like 150 USD. cheap. I doubt you would be able to fill that one up in the next couple years!!!
...gosh this is hard.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2003, 04:30:00 PM »
Calvin, I'm talking about my very own personal internal infernal hard drive. Mine is etting old, full, and lazy. I think getting a new one is just not an option yet.  :knothead:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2003, 08:00:00 PM »
O. sorry! I cant help ya there!!!
...gosh this is hard.

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2003, 01:31:00 AM »
"The Night Of Mis-Adventure" or

"The End Of the Begining"

either way, it was an interesting night  :saywhat:  
First, the good news. I am starting to get the feeling back in my legs  :D  ok, so I made that part up, but I got yer attention!

I took the pony bow upstairs, got her all   greased up  , and started toasting it on the BBQ (thats Barbee to you Jay) ala Jim Hamm. all along the way I am thinking that I should never has picked out a board for this project, kinda felt like cheating, and doubting my grain selection. anyways.

threw it into the thing for 10-20 minutes somthing like that, and kept rotating it, doing everything just right, dont ya know. Everything would have been just fine, had I not decided to "maximize my time" and left well enough alone. but NO! I decide, while I am waiting, to put the pine pitch experment on the stove.

(I had rounded up a volunteer to smoke a cigarette, ya know, the abstract way to get ashes...no lady, IN THE CAN she thought I was kinda wierd, but I digress) because I was trying to get the right mixture of ashes, fat and pine sap to make pitch dontyaknow.

So...I decide that the wood is hot enough to bend, so instead of getting some clamps, laying out a form, I decide to support the ends on chunks of 2by4 and kneel in the reflex. by now you have gotten the idea that I never got that "Doctorate" in the mail yet. you would be right in that assumption. turns out, I didnt put weight on the stick even, and the   belly collapsed   right on the part where the wood was sticking out of the BBQ (I only had the center section in there...was gonna put in the reflex first, the deflex one limb at a time) so I calmly decide that it is wrecked anyway, might as well see what the other side will do, and   broke that   hardcore too. (this is art, not science...dont tell Lennie)

and that is when things started to get hazy.

I remember that I have pine pitch on the stove (of course it is a gas stove, and I have just set a tin can with a little pine sap in the bottom directly to that) I poke my head in the door, and can smell it at the same time I see the smoke pouring out of the can. I grab the pot holder and grab the can off...the now very runny sap, runs up the side of the can, simultainoiusly catching on fire. I now have a "flambe" going, and Martha Stewert is going balistic on the phone in the living room. (Did I mention she didnt want me using the BBQ for "so-called experiments?" LOL?

all I can think at this point is....Matt says, "Just make sure you dont burn it" as I take it outside and get the can "under control"

here is the moral to the story...

Never try and do two things at once, and

Pine Pitch makes an excellant fire starter.

oh yeah, and use a form for bending wood.

I am going to bed now. I will get started on the "B-Plan bow" right away, that one always wanted to be an Indian bow anyways. Wasnt it Tim Bakker that said "If it is going to not work, make it not work right away?" I took your advice Tim!!!
...gosh this is hard.

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2003, 01:40:00 AM »
I just thought of some other titles for the evening.

"Screaming Moma" or "Just try going to sleep Mister"

Marvin I am gonna make that silver spoonhead arrow and keep it by my bed...just in case.  :p
...gosh this is hard.

Offline indybow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2003, 01:52:00 AM »
Sorry to hear about your misadventure Calvin. Although, it does seem strangely familiar, and if my wife read it, she would swear that me and you think exactly alike!!   :smileystooges:   Take care and good luck on the next one.  :thumbsup:
Mike

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2003, 07:37:00 PM »
just so we are clear...I do this for fun! I only hope that the people reading this stuff with me relalize that I do not take life very serioussly?!

I like to push the envelope a bit, you dont know where the boundry is sometimes until ya cross it! and if I can inspire a few people to try some of this stuff, that is what it is all about...just try not to get hurt! (and maybe make yer pitch outside LOL)

NEXT!!!
...gosh this is hard.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2003, 08:34:00 PM »
I've crossed the boundary enough to be considered a resident on both sides of the border. One side is relatively safe, but the other side is full of vultures and voodoo    :scared:  

ya gots to be real careful when crossing into that side   :thumbsup:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2003, 09:55:00 PM »
Sorry, Calvin. Back in the dark recesses of my psyche I feel it is my fault. I have had a foul-up fairy following me around for two years now.   :knothead:  I think she finally got bored and found a cybernetic escape route here. I bet she'll be back soon. More opportunity here, conducive environment or summat.

On the upside, there is certainly no lack of entertainment to be found in your house! Martha, by the way, is a saint! Thanks for letting us learn a little here.  :)  

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2003, 11:23:00 PM »
sometimes it sounds like a little "tick" and you just KNOW if you pull that string one more time yas gonna be wearing it!!!

I gotta get some digital video going...if you guys knew the "players" in the "movie of my life" I am sure you would all find it a LOT more amusing!!!! If I had the video running last night, I would have taken the Home Videos first place...fire, screaming, smoke...and someone got pine sap on the brand new "Pampered Chef" hot mitts. I guess they are expensive or something  :scared:  on the bright side...I made it through the night!!!
...gosh this is hard.

Offline Rich Saffold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2003, 12:09:00 AM »
Dude, you are HILLARIOUS!!!, and I garontee the next time we get together to cook sumpin it won't be ash...  :D  

Sorry bout the bow, next summer we'll  make a slinky outa osage w/ Gary's hairdrier when he is taking a break.

And if you heat that pitch between two table knives.......  :saywhat:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©