INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: aerial disc thrower  (Read 5038 times)

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
aerial disc thrower
« on: August 05, 2003, 08:31:00 AM »
I have just finished drawing my disc thrower and havee put in a word doc.  If you want me to email this to ya just send me an email with aerial in the subject line.  depending on how you set it up it will throw 10' to about 30' high just move the bungee or souble it up  ( MORE POWER!! )
Tim  :thumbsup:

Offline Duke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: aerial disc thrower
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 09:51:00 AM »
Awesome Tim! Email sent!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Hank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 01:23:00 PM »
So somebody build one of these and post a pic...lol    I am trying to figure out exactly how it works and goes together....probably me and being from Iowa  :)

Hank
Remember, if you walk a mile in someone's shoes, you will be a mile away and have their shoes.

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 01:27:00 PM »
build the legs first then build the plywood pieces drill the holes where indicated.  put the two pieces of plywood side by side and the legs go in the middle.  the trigger mech is a little complicated but doable just make the pieces and it will fall together. I promise.  I put a piece of hose on the front of the leg to help hold the disc on.

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks Tim, I will give it a shot. J Kendall

Offline Joe Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 05:37:00 PM »
I remember now why I went into computers not architecture or mechanical engineering. Tim that is no knock on your drawing.  :knothead:

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 08:42:00 AM »
yes the dental thing installs inside the two pieces of plywood it aligns the legs on the bottom.  the trigger mechanism installs on the 2x12 it will hold the leg back till you pull the rope.  the legs are made from 2x4s  there is a 1/2" dowel in the bottom to catch the trigger the bottom is angled so it will impart spin on the disc.  it has to be thrown like a frisbee.  my first attempt went sideways about 30 mph but very unstable.  make the sides and the legs and then the rest will come together

Offline Duke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 09:22:00 AM »
Tim,

I have a question in regards to the three bolts on the left side of the frame, what are they for? I'm thinking the bungees maybe go down under the bottom bolt then up and hook onto one of the upper bolts?  :confused:   Also what is the 1 1/2" hole for in the top of the legs?

Thanks,
John

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 10:54:00 AM »
Tim, do you think you can post a picture of yours? Hank was right, it must be an Iowa thing cause I just dont get it.

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 11:20:00 AM »
I'm trying to get through to Frank He lives just up the road but he got his spamblocker set at MAX.  he has a digital camera.
This was a sketch if yall want I could make better drawings with more dims.  but if you make the legs out of 2x4s and the sides you will figure the rest out

Offline Joe Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2003, 02:45:00 PM »
I hate to use the old cliche "a picture is worth a thousand words" but it seems to fit here. Tim I hate for you to have to do anymore drawing as I think your drawing is fine. Some of just do a little better with pictures along with the drawing. Anyway I will wait for the pictures if you get a chance to use the digital camera. Once again thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2003, 07:23:00 PM »
Tim,

Cameras charged up and ready to go.

I'll take a series of pics either Thursday or Friday.  I left a message on your phone, call me and we'll set it up.

Take it from one of the guys who has seen Tim's thrower in action.  It works great.

Frank
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline Hank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 01:25:00 AM »
alrighty!!

Hank
Remember, if you walk a mile in someone's shoes, you will be a mile away and have their shoes.

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2003, 08:10:00 AM »
yes the bolts are to hold everything together and to put the bungees in different places it makes the disc go in different directions and speed I have it set now for a nice slow 15' throw and a speedy 30' throw.  The hole in the top of the leg is so you can put the bungee end through it and hook the steel around the 3/4" rod.  I have drawn the thrower put together and with one leg in the up position if that helps but Frank will take some pics.

Offline Dirteater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2003, 08:54:00 AM »
Hey Tim,

So what do the neighbors think of your aerial target archery?  It's a good thing that you never miss.  :D  

Hey I still have a couple of hunting videos that belong to you.

Offline Duke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks Tim thats what I though they were used for. Last weekend my girl friend and I were shooting, and I had her throwing a ball up in the air while I shot, it was a lot of fun, and I hit it quite a few times!! I was impress with how close I was getting most every shot, seems like a great way to practice as you must let you instincts take over. I'll definity build one of your throwers soon, since I don't think my girl will want to throw stuff for me all the time!

Anyone ever try making they own aerial disks?? I was thinking of maybe making a mold from some large dia PVC or even a bucket, and filling it with spray foam??

Offline Doug R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2003, 11:21:00 AM »
I've thought about making my disks the same way. I planned on useing a bucket and round card board that you get from under frozen pizzas as the top and bottom of the disk. Also using plastic wrap to keep the foam from sticking to the inside of the bucket. The card board should extend the life of the disk as well.

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2003, 02:14:00 PM »
Yes, I have made discs. Somewhere my brother picked up two sheets of target style foam. I had the tinsmith's at work make me an oversize 10 or 12" "cookie cutter" (biscuit cutter for you rebs) Then I just punched out some "cookies." I had to sharpen the edge as it was real tough with squared edges from xx (~1/16")gauge sheet metal, but once I did that it worked great. I have made replacements with 2" 24x24 regular targets.

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2003, 04:16:00 PM »
you could glue the blue foam together from home depot and cut it out with a band saw.  the discs from 3 rivers are only about $5.00 and they take alot of abuse

Offline Armand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2003, 04:52:00 PM »
there is a guy at our club that has converted a tennis ball thrower from a tennis camp to launch tennis balls straight up in the air with a hopper that holds about twenty balls we line up just like we were shooting skeet its all automatic

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©