3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Block Down  (Read 753 times)

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Block Down
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
So as some of you may know I have had these 3 new (to me) trad bows sitting around that I have not been able to fire because they were not strung. Although I am a "Bowtech" guy, I have no knowledge of the trad stuff and did not trust myself stringing them. I have been staring at these 3 gorgeous bows for a week not able to enjoy them. Frustrating.

Today at 4:00 phone rings. It's Jimmy (Raineman on the site). Dude you wanna come over and we'll string those bows. Ummm... YEAH! SO I'm at his place by 4:10 ( I was a little excited to get there). He looks at my 3 bows. Compliments the 1970 Bear Kodiak Hunter. Says it might be the nicest Kodiak Hunter he has ever seen. This makes me feel real good!
He starts stringing these 3 bows. Meanwhile, I'm like what's brace height? Should I shoot 3 under or 2 and 1? WHat kind of silencers do I use? Where do babys come from? What kind of wood is this? I mean a million questions. This is the first time I've got somebody knowledgeable on this stuff in the same room as me. He answers all my questions with patience and kindness. Did I mention he really liked my Kodiak Hunter.

So he getsem all strung, replaces the rest on one, replaces the knoks on 2, checks brace height etc. Says to me "Let's go shootem!" Now he seems as excited as I am. We go into his back yard. On the way out I tell him he can shoot them but I have never fired a trad bow in my life and I want to practice before I shoot in front of him. I told him not only would I miss the target I would miss the oxygen. We get into the back yard and he gets out "the block". Fires the first bow -Nice, this one works. Second one - sweet.  A little loud we'll fix that later. Fires the 3rd one - strings shot. Don't shoot this one - get a new string. He fired 6 arrows and connects on the block with all 6. Now he hands me a bow and an arrow. I'm thinking JImmy I told you I wasn't gonna shoot. He looks at me like when I was 16 and my dad was teaching me how to drive and he says "You'll do fine." I knock the arrow. Pull back.. no site pin.... no nothing... what do I do. Getting dark I can't see... I get half way back and it just felt..... right. It just felt right! I get to the back of the draw, let the arrow fly and an amazing thing happens. I hit the target!

Tomorrow is going to be real fun.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Block Down
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Bill, you are in trouble now!!  :bigsmyl:  Once you start you will never stop!! It is gonna be an amazing ride my friend!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline 4-fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
SHAWN IS RIGHT.ONCE THE BOWBUG BIGHTS.ITS IN YOUR BLOOD.HAVE FUN AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.  :thumbsup:
"Pick a spot"

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
Welcome....your an addict now...admit it!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Bill I'm afraid it may be too late already, but we can try to save you anyway. I want you to immediately pack those bows up, (carefully) and send them to me ASAP! If you shoot those bows again tomorrow you are a goner for sure. Your life will never be the same. Next thing you'll be thinking you need more than three bows. You'll be using all your free time scanning classifieds for more. You'll be endlessly scheming new ways to keep the wife from knowing how much you spend on trad stuff. You'll be shooting in the house when it's bad outside. Just look back at some of the posts on this site. These guys are sick!
   So, I'll keep those bows safe for you, especially that Kodiak. I'll even send you pictures once in awhile if you want. I promise to take them on long walks in the woods and carefully string and unstring them. You're much better off with the Bowtech anyway. LOL!!
   Welcome to the addiction my friend, enjoy! Oh, the rule is, (Man Law) we need to see those bows. (pics) In this case they aren't literally new to you, but you just really discovered them, so pics are in order.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Wow, you just summed up my first time shooting trad! Way cool, now sit back and enjoy the ride.

Keith
"If there must be trouble then let it be in my day, that my children may live in peace."   Thomas Paine
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddeling up anyway"
John Wayne

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
Congratulations Bill! There is no end to the fun.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
You are ruined for life now.There is no escape.   :campfire:

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
a pleasant sort of misery has betaken you
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
MAY-DAY!!!! MAY-DAY!!!! He's goin' in hot dumpin' fuel boys!!!!!  :scared:    :scared:    :scared:

Your in trooooooouble now my friend.....

But a little good advise regarding practicing.... practicing your shooting WITH someone who knows what good shooting form is, and missing the target completely......Is much, much, MUCH better than trying to teach yourself.....

boy did i learn that one the hard way this last year....its going to take me 3 months of shooting 3D this winter to straighten out all my bad habits.....  :knothead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
Awwww. I was hoping your first time would be with me.  :(  

What bow needs a string?  :confused:  
Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Welcome to the bright side.

Alan

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
You will have a great time this coming year, learning the meaning of Arch in Archery. Go for it and let em fly.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
And so it begins. A late bloomer but better late then never.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline 4-fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
DANNYBOWS THATS GOOD STUFF.THATS FUNNY I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE.L O L   :bigsmyl:
"Pick a spot"

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
DannyBows - Here's the pics.

Killi- I'm usually better the second time than the first.

Unfortunately the 1970 Kodiak Hunter with an AMO of 60" is the one that needs the string. The brace height is supposed to be 8 inches. It's not even 7- and it "twanged" Raineman pretty hard.

The one I actually made the shot with was the third bow pictured. The Red Wing Hunter.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
Very nice. A Bear, a Pearson and a Red Wing. A very good start to your addiction. I had a Red Wing, good shooters, and I've always loved the looks of the riser on those Bear Kodiak Hunters. I'll bet she shoots real nice.
  These are fine bows to start you on your journey. We expect updates on your progress, and when that inevitable itch to buy another, then another etc. becomes too much to resist, remember you were warned and offered a way out. Oh, and don't forget the pics! LOL!
  Enjoy and welcome to ARCH-ery.

P.S.  When I saw the title of your post I thought someone might be testing broadheads on an old chevy engine.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »
I used to have a 45#RWH just like that-wonderful bow to start with (and not bad to stick with)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
Neat! Can I shoot your bows? I shot a Red Wing Hunter at ATAR last year, and loved the smoothness. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a 56" string...

Killdeer  :)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Killi-
    Of course you can shoot my bows. As far as the Redwing. I assumed it would be the "least great of the 3" for nothing more than it was the cheapest of the 3. But when Jimmy strung them up and I pulled back on them in his basement, the Redwing was the smoothest of the 3.
    Nebie questions here - What's an ATAR? As a kid I had an ATARI - would play Asteroids, Space Invaders, etc. If it's half as cool as that - I'm sold.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©