INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: First Osage self Bow (progress) (Finished up 05/12)  (Read 21161 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
First Osage self Bow (progress) (Finished up 05/12)
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Back before the deer season (Early Sept here in NC) you may, or may not remember me posting the pic below and a couple others along with a story about my starting on my first Osage self bow (under the cautionary eye of my Mentor, Mike Brooks              :)              ). Ever since then I have been "threatening" to get back on it after the season. Well the season ended 1 Jan - dad-burn, I'm slow              :D              . Finally, both Mike and I had time to get together yesterday (Presidents Day), and I flat made some yellow shavings fly -              :p             .  

Recap Picture (first day, probably in Aug.):

I was really pleased with how much I retained from that first session, and using my own old Draw Knife I (we) could even see some improvement in confidence in "Attack Mode". However my memory didn't improve any so I forgot my camera. I brought the stave home last night so I could record the progress after the (much postponed) second day. I had only got down to the "Back", on one end before. Yesterday I took it all the way to the other end - only to discover right at the end that there was some kind of half ring or camoflage transition that had hoodwinked us. So I started working back - had to go almost back to the original starting point - but what fun, and how well it went - and how much more I learned. On top of that we got a better looking back and it found it has streaks of almost a redish color in it. After that, Mike helped me lay out a would be bow outline - (similar to a bow of his that I had shot and liked, and that the stave looked like it might consent to - ). I proceeded to take the sides close to the outline and we split off the extra, under part of the stave. Here are a couple pics of how it looks now - I'm a pretty happy camper. We will have a little amount of character in both limbs but we will also have some heat bending to do, coming up soon. I am shooting for 58-60" and 40-45# @ 26"

Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Osage self Bow (progress) (Finished up 05/12)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
Look'n good! I'm work'n on my first piece of osage as well so I can appreciate your effort and enthusiasm.  My hands are still sore from working a scraper for several hours yesterday.  Lots of fun.

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
So far it is looking good. I need to start making some shavings. I also need to build me a caul. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Shawn

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
LOL - yep my hands cramped last night and were sore this AM - (but not enough to stop me).

I hope y'all want to see more "progress" pics, and are ready to . The Marines had a long weekend so Mike's company didn't have to work today either - so we were able to get together for more "larning" this afternoon. This time I took my camera. As you will see, I made a lot more shavings (big ones too)    ;)    . You folks are right, thinking, "clean stave". Only one tiny pin knot and one reg Knot - not in the way - but yes some problems with heat bending coming up - we'll see. Really made a lot of progress today and it's beginning to look like a bow - albiet a crooked one -    :D    at this stage :

As you can see in the forth pic - some pretty good natural reflex - if I get it right it should be pretty zippy.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
About three more:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Looking good!Thanks for sharing.Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Offline buckshot95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
thats looken good can't wait to see it done!!
52#@28"-60" Thunder Stick Moab
45#@28"-64" Fred Bear Montana

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Lookin Bernie!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »
Go, Bernie GO !   :thumbsup:

...time to switch to a big rasp.
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »
Yep, NSlb, I did just that, to finish off the fades a little as a last step yesterday. Thanks, guys. I hope to get another shot at it on Sunday (got to get in some knife and Wing Bone call work too - LOL). So many fun things to do ... well, you know -   :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
Well heck, she's already reflexed for ya isn't she.
Looks great!

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
That is looking nice. Can't complain about that natural reflex. Looking forward to seeing the heat bending portion of this project. Keep up the good work.

Shawn

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
That'll be one mean shooting stick!  Good Luck!

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
I also am interested in the heat bending part - it'll be my first, of course, and we figure about 3 bends at least. The reflex is about 2 1/4" on one end and 2 1/2" on the other so if all goes well it should really spit the arrows out. (Where is that smiley with the crossed fingers? )  ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
Looks like nice wood Bernie. Don't worry about the heat bending. It's not too tough to do. Do you have a caul all ready to clamp it to?
Got wood? - Tom

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Tom, I have to admit - I've heard/read "caul" but I haven't tied it in as yet to bowmaking(though I am reading The BB Vols I and III). I "heard" someone just the other day say they had to make/get one, it might have even been Mike. I am using Mike's shop and it is fully appointed so I imagine if he needs one he has one or if you need different ones for various bows perhaps it was him who said it (we have also been discussing a wild and crazy stave he is turning into a bow at the same time. Perhaps it's the next lesson    ;)   .

(I do know the definition in the Webster's doesn't help any - LOL - the covering for the head of the embryo - all righty then! Or maybe it does relate....)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
wow!!! that looks real good uncle bernie now dont go getting lost in them shavings as we dont want to have to send in the marines.  :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Keep makin shavins Bernie!!!!  ;)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
Thanks, you two - LOL

Tom L., I ran across a question on stave/bow straightening, on another web site, this AM, and one responder ("toxiophileken") gave a link to a thread on building and using a "simple" caul (it was  very  good). So rest assured I now have at least been very thorughly exposed to Caul/bowstraightening. I seriously thank you for asking me that question. Now I'll at least have a glimmer of what Mike talks about when we get to that stage, which may be "next". If anyone else is interested in that very good thread, with copious photos, PM me and I will give you the link - or you could search paleoplanet for caul and probably find it. I certainly won't mind responding with the link though - my pleasure to help others, as I've just been helped.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
I printed out that caul building thread a couple of weeks ago. It is a very good tutorial. My schedule is packed for this weekend, but I hope to get my caul built the following weekend. I have 3 staves already waiting in line.

Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©