3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Strong Suggestion from Barry Wensel  (Read 9622 times)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Strong Suggestion from Barry Wensel
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
Great idea. I too use to keep a journal but then got lazy also. But like Terry I take lots of pics now adays. It's so easy with digital. It's  definately not only trophy pics either. But for years I'd always would just file those pics away either actual pics or CD's and put them in a box. Every once in awhile I'd stumble on them and look through them. It was alot of fun and brought back tons of memories so I decided I needed to display those pics. So I got a BIG poster board frame and made a big collage till it was full and then hung in my bow shop.Actually turned out to three poster board frames. Man I can't tell ya how many times I look at those pics now and also when friends or family comes up they look at em. We also did it of family pics and they hang lots of places in the house. You can pick up some really nice large cheap frames with glass at those stores with the ugly pics that never sale. I admit you look kinda foolish walking out of the store with everyone wondering what the heck you see in that god awful picture! lol But I know in a little while it'll be transformed into a personal master piece.
  Now adays in the digital age at the end of every season I make a CD of all the pics but pick out the ones that have the most meaning to me and make a digital collage standard paper size and print it for say the season 07.

This thread reminds me though I need to go back to writing a journal though.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
I have never really been in to mounts, Yes I do think they are great looking.. I'm more on a Euro-mount person, but even then I not have any kind of mounts... I have been taking pic's but should be doing more of that & taking my MiniDVC out in to the woods when hunting/scouting well you get the picture.

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Gene,,I don't suppose you remember a man by the name of Ed Pitchkites do you? I'll bet you do! Ed is one of a kind and one of the old "legends" around here. Anyway,I clearly remember listening to cassette tapes of conversations you and Ed sent back & forth to each other. It's amazing to listen opinions about things back then and how they have changed over the years! There was one of them that you were talking about a "big smiley" faced hunter that was trying to make a name for himself in bowhunting. I don't suppose you remember who that was do you?

Barry,,you and Gene have always been an inspiration to bowhunting and this topic is yet another. I kept written journals for about 10yrs but then for some reason I stopped and started more picture taking instead. A combination of both of these and some recording sounds like a great idea. Thanks!
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
I want to again clarify written journals are great, but recording yourself is a lot quicker and easier (I can talk faster than I can write or type). By recording yourself via tape recorder and/or DVD you can hear the excitement in your voice. Filming yourself is even better, as you can see how much you've changed, what equipment you were using then, etc. when viewing the tapes 25 years from now. I'd love to be able to sit down right now and watch recorded video footage of my dad, my son-in-law and friend Paul Schafer (who have all passed)talking about hunts we just shared together. Written journals of those hunts would be appreciated.. but live, taped recordings of those hunts would be way more outstanding. There's no way the written word could portray the expression a live recording will do. Thanks. BW

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Great Idea
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2023, 05:28:31 PM »
 :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2023, 07:02:07 PM »
Priceless!!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2023, 08:27:55 PM »
Indeed… :campfire:

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2023, 10:47:27 PM »
I started keeping a hunting journal in college. That's dwindled a bit now to the point of it just being an Excel sheet that I fill out after each hunt at home, but I still do write-ups about all of my out of state trips. I figure someday down the road it'll be interesting to look back on.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2023, 11:38:39 PM »
I've kept a running account of most of my bow hunting years. Reading back through them awakens memories and small details long forgotten.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2023, 09:06:42 AM »
15 years ago I posted on this thread that I keep a hunting journal/diary and hopefully I would have grandchildren to pass them on to.

I still religiously keep up with the journal and I have four granddaughters!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 01:50:34 PM by Red Beastmaster »
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2023, 08:31:15 PM »
I have kept a journal since I got my first longbow in 1983.  So glad I did.  Something to think about for the new bowhunters.   

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2023, 08:10:15 AM »
Thanks for digging this gem. I too have kept a journal. Audio and video would be even better.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2023, 12:08:29 PM »
I started hunting in 1967. I started keeping a written log of my hunts in 1982. Day, dates, stands I hunted from, weather info, type of equipment used and deer I've seen and deer I've shot. I just finished compiling all the statistics from my 2023 bow season. Barry, you're 100% correct. It's incredible to look back and read this stuff !

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2023, 09:47:35 PM »
I still have all the pictures taken of every hunt of 30 years of bow hunting
I look at them every couple years and smile with watery eyes what a great adventure !
Larry

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2023, 01:34:31 AM »
Hmmm like saying a satchel and purse ain’t the same thing? A diary and journal are both just for girls! Hey I’m kidding by that. Years ago at Harrisburg show I broke your chops and you were quick witted coming back. God bless you brother.  Actually a great idea. Some guys are smarter than they look. I’m not referring to you of course.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2023, 12:09:30 PM »
Hmmm like saying a satchel and purse ain’t the same thing? A diary and journal are both just for girls! Hey I’m kidding by that. Years ago at Harrisburg show I broke your chops and you were quick witted coming back. God bless you brother.  Actually a great idea. Some guys are smarter than they look. I’m not referring to you of course.

Who are you reporting to suppose? I've never been to that shoot in my entire life.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2023, 12:48:01 AM »

Who are you reporting to suppose? I've never been to that shoot in my entire life.

I don’t follow you exactly Terry? Not sure what reporting to means? Also was not a shoot I said show. Around here we call it the Harrisburg show. It’s in Harrisburg Pa. Think it’s the Great American outdoors show nowadays. Id say that was maybe around 2000.
Anyhow, I walked up to Barry, said something off handed to break his chops. Not disrespectfully like I wasnt here either. He instantly came back with as good of a comment. Guess that’s one of the things I relate to most. He’s got super quick wit.
Hope no one took anything incorrectly
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2023, 08:59:06 AM »
No worries Sir!   :thumbsup:

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2023, 04:26:34 PM »
When we moved years ago,my wife was doing a clean up and tossed about 9 years of my journals.So I stopped writing everything down,sorry now that I quit writing my journals.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©