3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: looking for advice on choice of longbow  (Read 530 times)

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
looking for advice on choice of longbow
« on: January 01, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
i have a 61#@ 30" 21st century longbow that i have been shooting alot. but now im looking for something that is a little more comfortable to shoot for extended periods of time. so im looking into some longbows and was wondering if anyone has some good advice on bowyer/company
in the 500 range
i have been looking into dwyer,thunderstick,hornesand some bob lee's
i would like to shoot something with as little shock as possible and fast.i have just started shooting longbows within the last 2 years and dont know much about the companys

Offline 4-fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: looking for advice on choice of longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
SHAWN MY VOTE GOES TO THE THUNDERSTICK MOAB.IT IS SMOOTH AND FAST AND NO SHOCK.IMHO GOOD LUCK IN THE SEARCH.  :thumbsup:
"Pick a spot"

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
Thunderstick is a great bow.You might want to look at Griffin also but hard to find used and one year wait for a new one.Started at $480.(Last Year)

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
The best thing to do is to go to a trad shoot or show that has venders and start trying bows. A bow that works out great for one guy is junk in someone else's eye. The trad show in Kalamazoo MI would be worth the drive. You'll see more bows at that show and get to meet the guys that make them. Plus a number of venders will be there that sell used bows too.
lll

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Out of the ones you picked. I would have to say Horne's. I have one now for about a month . The riser /grip is perfect thumb slot constant hand placement= accuracy. Basic bow 475.00 =great price for a custom bow. Quiet, smooth, fast, hard hitting and light in the hand without hand shock.The most forgiving bow I have shot yet.You can't make a bad release with this bow.I have shot all the bows you mentioned except the Dwyer.MOAB is a great bow as is the Bob Lee. One other bow you should look into is a TurkeyCreek Longbow a very easy bow to pick up and shoot accurately .Another very good Longbow I should also mention is  a SHREW the wait is a little long, trying to find one used is tuff [folks don't want to part with them]. Just my 2 cents.

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
TURKEYCREEK LONGBOWS!!!!!!Doug is a sponser here and builds a quality bow that is fast and hand shock is non existenced.Build time is fast and a looker to.GREAT GRIPS as he will make to your specs!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Eastern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
I have a Martin.  It is a nice bow but not the most comfortable to use for long periods of time.  Might be that I am not used to it. I had a Martin compound that I could shoot for hours so I do like the products.  Just not this one as much.
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
My favorites are Horne's and Treadway.

Bill

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
i love the STRIKER stinger, awesome bow
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline BJ STOUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
look into Juniper Mountain Longbows, Built by a Great Guy in Oregon, One man one Bow at a time.

Jerry Stout 541-473-3812, There about $525.00 delivered and usually not more than three weeks to get one. I have two of them (he is my Dad ) but a great Bowyer super Quality and smooth uses lots of exotic woods so they are beautiful as well as functional.

B.J

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
Until you can shoot a bow, you'll never ever know if it'll suit you.  That's the gamble part about buying without trying.  Other than that, yer just gonna get the opinions of others, which will always be prejudiced hearsay.  All the brands and models mentioned so far are all capable of outstanding build, materials and performance.  The question then becomes, which one will work best for you?  Now start at the beginning and read this paragraph over again ...   :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
What Rob said. If you can't shoot some stuff to try then start buying/trading used bows in the classifieds until you know what works best for you(with out taking the big hit on buying a new one only to find out it doesn't) and then order exactly what fits you(if you don't get lucky with a used one).
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
Ron King from Fox Archery makes an excellent longbow.You wont find a nicer guy to deal with.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
I found that the wes wallace longbow is the smoothest and quickest of the traditional style bows I have shot. Very traditional shape when strung, but boy is it nice. Finish is great too. Many others with more reflex/deflex are often a bit quicker, but also louder by a long shot...I quit shooting others so I won't find another to buy as there are sooo many good ones out there. the trade shows are a great place to put them against eachother. Used bows are a great idea as well. Sometimes it takes some time with a bow before you really find how you feel about it.

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
well i went ahead and jumped right in.
i have been looking at horne archery for a month now. had a traditionalist in mind. talked to mark a couple times, and we ended up finding one he had in stock perfect for what i want.
49# @30"  
i appreciate all the advice u all have given.
we'll see how it all works out in the end

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
Good luck to you.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Shawn, Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©