3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Magnus bullhead ""NEW""  (Read 805 times)

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
Magnus bullhead ""NEW""
« on: January 01, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
Check this new bird boadhead out,what do you think??
 http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/bullhead.html
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Magnus bullhead ""NEW""
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
looks like it would really give a bunny a bad day
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Looks like it wastes a lot of meat.
lll

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
It looks like it kills them.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
I think they should considering changing the name it to: Bull-sh*t-head
An other gimmick head, not worth thinking about IMHO. A compound-only-head. Magnus obviously wants something from the money, which is spend towards the Gobbler Guillotine now?!

All that being said, I've no experience with either head whatsoever. Telling just my opinion, based on a "feel for arrow physics" ...

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Having shot a few turkeys...I would buy it and get arrows set up for screw-in heads if I went after Turkeys again. After losing well hit Turkeys which I could not find I reached the conclusion that, when hunting out of a blind the "right place" to shoot turkeys is the head and neck. I did it with a 2 blade but a big widespread 3 is better.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Now, why on earth would that be a compound only head?  How could that even be possible?  I was going to get a pack to shoot out of my recurve; I guess that is out the window...

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
Well. it is obviously a right wing single bevel and will not work well with my left wing helical longbow set-up.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Smilingg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Bowhunters, whether trad or compound shooters, have needed better heads for turkey/goose etc. hunting for years. We need a head that will put a bird down at once or close to it.

Today well hit birds often either get away to die somewhere else or lead hunters on a heckuva chase for hundreds of yards through all kinds of mess. Wounded turkeys don't bleed much and can hide in and under unlikely places.

The Scorpio and other such devices helped somewhat in keeping the arrow in the bird, but there is plenty of room for improvement. The Guillotine was an interesting attempt at a step forward. It will sure work out of either a trad bow or a compound. "Awesome" is a word that has been so overused over the last 30 years that it has lost much of its force, but awesome is a fair description of what that head can look like in action. When I see a gobbler's head fly a foot in the opposite direction from his body, I am delighted through and through.

Wordsworth's heart leapt up when he beheld a rainbow in the sky. I feel the same way when I see a turkey head in the sky, hehehehehe...

Hats off to Magnus if they've been able to create a head that flies a little better, holds up longer, is re-sharpenable, etc.

I hope Mike Sohm and the fellas at Magnus make a ton of money. Fred Bear didn't exactly die penniless.

I hope the poor get richer, the middle class gets richer, and the rich get richer.

It often seems that Europeans harbor an ingrained disdain for "the help", and in a hunting context that translates into disapproval of mere equipment makers and tradesmen making a bundle. It is the landed gentry who hunt who are supposed to have the bundle otherwise the purity of the sport is sullied by the chase  for filthy lucre or something.

If the Bullhead leads to more recovered game, why not wish Magnus every success with it?

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Whatever! Very tasteful vidoes...
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Magnus has yet to make a bad head & I think this one looks like it will work good.I'm just a little worried about using the 100gr for body shots...looks like you would really need some horsepower to push that kinda tip through a bird....
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
owlbait, watch the video. It'll switch to shoot either.   :thumbsup:   Looks like a good concept to me. Everything I've tried from Magnus was pretty good to better quality. Time will tell.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
The old copper head was good enough for mine. Problem is I only had one and I cannot find any others.  this Magnum looks expensive and won't fit in my backquiver.  I'm not parting with my backquiver for any reason.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
I think it would be interesting to try for myself. I'm my own worst critic. Of course if they cost more than a snuffer, I probably won't be interested.
Owlbait, the first video said the blades could be set up either way, left or right.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
I've used the GG twice...missed once, it worked excessively well the other time. I suspect this head will work very well with a trad bow.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
Laddy, Which Copperhead? Ripper? Slicer? I have some slicers that need to find a home.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
Well, I got caught again shooting off my smartmouth without doing due diligence  :readit:
I agree, Magnus makes great products and I'm sure this will be another. Now if they would buy the Simmons brand and keep them in production I'd be all set!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Every bunnys nightmare.  I see no reason trad shooter wouldnt love them going for head shots.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
I am not clear on whether or not this head will work if ya hit them in the body.  I went to the website and and watched the video clips.  Seems like they said the smaller of the two would work on body shots, but I would like to know for sure.  

One of the drawbacks of the Guillotine is that you have to hit the head or neck and you do not always get that shot.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
I attended a seminar by Gene Blackshire,a noted turkey hunter and bowhunter in West Virginia.

He said to shoot a turkey with an arrow,you wait until he is in full strut.When the turkey turns away his tail is fanned out and he can't see you draw.

He said that this presents a perfect target,and

\\\\\\///
                                (*)  

even gives you a spot to aim at.If you hit the spot,dead turkey,if you're a bit high of the spot,you still hit the spine and have a dead turkey.It made sense to me.

As for the head in question,I tend to stay away from gimmick type heads. There's no reason that I can think of that a big sharp 3 blade head properly placed wouldn't kill a turkey.

Of course that's just my 2 cents.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©