3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hickory shafts, questions?  (Read 356 times)

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
hickory shafts, questions?
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
Haven't use wood arrows in a while and before it was alway POC.
After reading about the penetration testing and whatnot decided to try some wood out again and sounds like hickory might be pretty good.

What are your opinions on the spine to start with.
I shoot a ACS CX 53lbs @ 27". I want to put a 190 grain grizzly on the arrow. Would like them to be between 28 and 29 inches long.

For those that use them now what do you use to finish the shafts and who is the straightness of them?
Will be buying them from Allegheny Mountain Arrow Woods unless someone has another suggestion?

Thanks

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hickory shafts, questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
I shoot a 50#@28 ACS CX. It is a bit difficult to get hickory over 70-75 and you will likely need more for that point weight, unless you built out your side plate.
I got some excellent hunting tapered hickory from Dennis at Hickory Creek, right on for spine and easy to straighten without heat. For a finish I dipped mine in 'Raptor' finish. Both Raptor and Hickory Creek are sponsors.
Your finished arrow will weigh a bit over 800 grains and will probably go through an engine block with that bow. LOL!

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
*taking notes*

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
I am noticing that they don't list the spine weight of an 11/32" shaft in hickory. Is it that its so stiff?

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
I don't know about any of this "hi-tech" stuff. I got my hicks from Milt Beens at Wildcat Canyon Archery, now many years ago. We started with very long shafts and cut them down a bit at a time until they shot perfectly from the bow I owned at the time. The same shaft shot completely through two elk, dropping both within sight ... and now, owing to my compulsive stupidity, is lodged high in some tree that a grouse was sitting in, in a weak moment. I found that when they take a set, or bend, you can't straighten them like you can cedar, but need a more precise tool ... but that's easy to fabricate. The ONLY really serious "problem" I've found with hick shafts is that they are damn heavy, forcing most shooters with most medium-weight bows to get 15 rather than 20 yards. Absolutely unnecessary for deer and smaller. Not necessary but, in moi experience, unsurpassed for really big game like elk and moose. Keep us posted, please, on your findings as this progresses. There can be no immutable argument for anything but the heaviest toughest shafts you can shoot for the heaviest toughest game we shoot. But it IS more demanding. --Crazy Dave

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
This place is getting crowded with Bjorns and JBiorns! LOL!
Hickory Creek and others only list the most common spines and if you want heavier and/or stiffer,  usually they can supply them but you may have to wait, or email around to other suppliers.
Hickory is turning out to be too heavy for me and Birch (non laminated) may be the best alternative, it will be in the 660-720 grain range for a finished arrow including broadhead, which is as heavy as I think is reasonable for my bows. I have used Birch in the past with good results.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
THOR should be a Member. Free of Course, gotta watch that hammer It Acts Like it Has a Mind of its own sometimes!!
          Speaking of Norse and such, There was a Movie that I snagged off of HBO Waaaaaaaaay Back, "Eric The Viking" Python folks in it  as Well as Directing! If ya can a Chance, The DVD Price was worth it to me!! I give it  :readit:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
I shot hickory arrows from allegheny mtn. for a couple years.  They are nearly indestructable and penetrate like crazy.  I had trouble keeping them straight though.  Starting shooting lam. birch and like them better.  Easier to keep straight.  Call allegheny, good folks to deal with.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
If you have your shafts at 28" BOP then 70-75 spine shafts should work and 75-80 definetly would.  I have made about 5 dozen arrows out of Hickory, 15 dozen out of Maple, and going on 40 dozen now out of Laminated Birch.  My favorite wood to work with was maple but you can't find it anymore.  Laminated birch makes just a good an arrow, there is a consistent suppply, and Bill at AMAW is always willing to help.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©