3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What have you learned from this hunting season?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What have you learned from this hunting season?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
Spend a lot more time shooting with experienced traditional archers if possible....Kirk

Offline fubar2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
I learned that old age is no longer sneaking up on me. It has arrived.

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
I learned that I do not like deer hunting as much as I want to. Thank god the wabbits like me!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
I learned that Snuffers are the broadhead that I will always rely on
Same here Izzy. Other than that, though...

1- Same lesson I've learned every season...it's not the kill that truly stands out, but the hunt.
2- Stalking & groundhunting sure is fun, but there's alot to be said for sitting up in the canopy as the woods awaken all around you
3- If done right, the effort one puts into the hunt is it's own reward...
4- A side (GFA) quiver can be quite the handy tool.
5- Camo...it's a bonus, not a necessity.
6- Bowhunting was NOT meant to be a solo activity!  :campfire:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »
I have learned that I do not need a tree stand for deer hunting, that my wife needs more cover, maybe a portable blind for next year.  mostly I learned i need to put up a tree stand to keep compound hunters from putting tree stands above my all natural blinds.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
Hunt where the deer are!!!--no matter what your pre-season scouting told you---be prepared to move!!
Mike

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
Good one bamboo.  I relied on old habits this year and it made me end up working harder later to find deer. Practice, scout, slow down. Don't be afraid to scout during the season, just do it on a rainy day.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Eastern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
I learned that I have to get off my lazy butt and get out more in the preeseason  scouting, I learned that at 46 I am no longer in shape to wonder the woods as I was once able.  It sucks getting older and having physical limitations.  I ad a ball of a time.  No deer to show for it but a great experience none the less.
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
missed 3 deer this year! realized i shoot a game differently than at target. i basically am a snap shooter but when shooting at deer i "aim" and think too much.
also learned that if you change something on your bow it can cost you! changed my silencer from wool to rubber and my bow was loud and 2 of my misses were deer reacting to the twang!
was a good season though, saw deer most every time out and made a new hunting buddy.

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Pick a spot

Deer DO go completely nocternal when the orange army hits the woods, at leats in area that I hunt.

Pick a spot

Deer dogs suck

Pick a spot

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Scout more hunt less...I always seem to hunt where the deer were last week.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Geez, Where do I start (first year trad guy) lets see.  
1) Any deer with trad equiptment truly is a trophy.  I realized this the longer the season went on.  (didn't get one this year)
2) Shootin at squirrels is fun again.
3) My climbing stand isn't recurve friendly.
4) This trad thing is addicting, frustrating, fun, different, &fun!!!
5) Bad seasons make you appreciate the good ones that much more.
Those are the major one's that jump out at me for huntin, shooting and tuning could take up a whole page.  Example:  When you have a knock high tear, move the knock higher  :confused:  WHAT, then i learned about false tears when the feathers bounce off the shelf   ;)   Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
What did I learn ?
Sometimes luck is just not on my side.

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
I learned the direct way is not the best way to the stand on the property I hunted this year.  There was a bedding area between where I parked and walked to my stand and it took me a couple of times to understand what was going on.
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Although I killed a good Buck with a longbow this year , I have learned that I have more confidence in and shoot  a recurve better . Also that I need to stay OFF CLASSIFIDES but I still have a hard time doing that ( LOL ).

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
You can pretty much have the public land to yourself until the rut and then it becomes a shopping mall.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
I learned that God is still in control, because I hated hunting public land, I don't know how many times I asked for private land to hunt, and !

When I gave up and God had control of it, I not only got private land to hunt, but all the 18 tree stands on the land to use.  God was good to me this year.  I never use my own tree stand once.  And I never took a shot from my bow, my freezers not full of deer meet, but 45 lbs. of it !  And my heart has two new friends in it.  So you never know, how your hunting season is going to go, I really enjoyed every time I went out into the forest.  And the last day, setting on the forest floor, no chair just in my insulated hunting suit with 8 in. of snow under me I will always remember the sunset, and how it looked, and how I enjoyed this year.  Even though I never shot a deer.

I have to say this year was a peaceful year in my neck of the woods.

God is good,

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
When i hunt from a stand thats 20ft or higher, well lets just say its alittle differant than 15ft. I'll practice a little more from 20ft in a tree this year.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Bob G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Over time I have learned that I am a deer hunter for 2 months out of the year. The deer are deer for 12 months a year, and are much better at what they do than I am.   :bigsmyl:
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Offline Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
more preseason scouting-can't count on previous  years successes or travel routes.
 my knees aren't what they used to be.
 don't pass on a deer if you want meat in the  freezer.
 Nothing with bow this year but enjoyed the woods as much as I ever did. No heavy drags anyway.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©