INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Otter quiver  (Read 802 times)

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Otter quiver
« on: July 29, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
This has taken awhile to make. It's my adaptation of a southern plains Indian quiver. These quivers were refined for horseback use, most also had a bow carrying "tube" of leather.
   I've kept the same basic style, but refined it for more practical usage. Not many of us practice mounted archery anymore. Some of the retained features are, basic materials, and depth in relationship to arrow length. These features, when properly executed, allow arrows to be carried quietly, easily accessed, and well protected.
   Things I've changed are the strap attachment, lacing, and putting the stiffener on the inside. My strap attachment and adjusting capability allow for ambidextrous side carry from very high up under the arm, which is great for crawling or moving through thick brush, to low at the waist for more open or casual shooting. It also allows for back carry. This adjustment in strap length takes just seconds, its silent and can be done with gloves on. A very neat feature made of stacked leather and wood or bamboo.
   Otter seems to be the prevalent hide type used in the originals. It is tough, the right size, and beautiful. Getting a skin to drape correctly is very important, this is what makes this style of quiver so quiet, even when loaded with a dozen high fletched arrows. The arrows tend to stay in place even if inverted, yet they are easily and quietly loaded and withdrawn.
   This quiver also features a waterproof rawhide point cup that is lined with sheep skin and moose hide. This keeps the arrow points from rattling around and dulling. It's quite durable enough for broadheads and protective enough for flint points.
     The suede shoulder strap is edge laced partially. I've found by doing this it gives the strap "traction" and keeps the quiver from sliding around. That's over 20 feet of lacing, just on the strap edges. The quiver mouth lacing is kangaroo, the finest and most durable lacing material available. The beading on this quiver is 11/0 Czech glass seed beads.
  This is the 3rd one I've made, it is called "Flowers in the Forest" being so named from an ancient Scottish song honoring the fallen. Some of the pics were taken before all the adornments were added. More pics avalible. It is very lightly used. $525.00

U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Otter quiver
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »

U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©